Chacchoben Ruins tour

als310

Quote:

Originally Posted by martdm

Hope7 - how did they know you were trying to get to Ivan & David's tour? Can't we just tell them we want a cab to Mahahual?

We told the young woman at the taxi ticket counter that we wanted to go to the Cat's Meow. She said "you go with Ivan and David, wait here". They even had our last name on a list for Ivan and David's tours. I would definitely just say you want a cab to Majahual. The tour with Ivan was excellent.

Hi-I just found this thread-will be in Costa Maya on Mar 22 on Jewel of the Seas-my DH and I have two boys 9 and 12 and I've been reading everyone rave about David and Ivan's tour (only read a page or so of thread)-which tour would you recommend for us (I don't exercise that much)-is the basic tour still good? What about the one where you eat with a Mayan family-(I think I found their web site)-thanks so much for your insights!!!!

Are there any issues with security in travelling in this area/to the ruins? Someone I know booked the beach trip through DCL and an armed guard or military personal jumped on the bus with them (for protection?). I don't know if the same was done for the other ship arranged tours.

Are there any issues with security in travelling in this area/to the ruins? Someone I know booked the beach trip through DCL and an armed guard or military personal jumped on the bus with them (for protection?). I don't know if the same was done for the other ship arranged tours.

Maybe they were just catching a ride. I went while on a DCL tour too.

I haven't heard anything about security issues. seemed very safe. Ivan said the crime rate was very low.

Zeno, how did you know he was really working for Ivan & David/Native Choice? It seems there are a lot of people engaging in misdirection at the pier and strong recommendations to ignore everyone at the pier & just head to the Cat's Meow. How would we be able to tell we've been properly directed to an actual employee of Native Choice?

I hate to say it but we just decided that he seemed OK - which he was (BTW Pablo is an English-speaking North American - he is married to Carolina who sometimes accompanies the tour (when it is a large group)). IF memory serves me correctly Pablo actually had a list of expected people from Native Choice. I guess if you feel uncomfortable - just take your own taxi to the Cat's Meow.

My family of four is booked on April 17th, but our port time isn't til noon. :( We are only in for seven hrs., yet they still have us booked for the "Extreme Tour" if eight people are signed up. I'm a little concerned about the timing crunch, but trust that they know and will advise me. I'll probably send them another e-mail when we get closer sail time and see what they think.

I hate to say it but we just decided that he seemed OK - which he was (BTW Pablo is an English-speaking North American - he is married to Carolina who sometimes accompanies the tour (when it is a large group)). IF memory serves me correctly Pablo actually had a list of expected people from Native Choice. I guess if you feel uncomfortable - just take your own taxi to the Cat's Meow.

Thanks Zeno! I'd be comfortable with that scenario...they wouldn't have the list if they weren't associated with Native Choice. Good to know all the players' names too, just in case something seems amiss. I appreciate the info!

We went last Thursday and Ivan explained to us, while on the bus that we would have to go through a military check point but that normally they did not bother the tour groups. He wanted us to know that it might be possible that they would check the bus. We had no problems, they waved us through. :) I doubt you will have any problems on this tour.

Did this tour 2 weeks ago and loved it!! It was defintely worth every penny we paid. David was our guide and told us so much about the mayan culture. He is a huge wealth of information as is Ivan. They didn't rush us. David even stopped a few times to tell us about some of the plants. There is one that we rubbed on our legs to keep the bugs at bay...although I didn't have a problem with them before either. These guys are wonderful and you will be very happy that you booked with them.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from our Western Caribbean tour abord Explorer of the Seas where we booked the Chachoben Ruins tour with David and Ivan. We were, at first, slightly disappointed that neither David or Ivan were our guides, but Veronica did an excellent job and all in all the tour was fantastic.

One word of warning though. We were thoroughly disgusted with the rip-off artists at the pier. After getting off the ship we proceeded to the location where the taxis were being dispatched. We informed them that we wanted to to go to Majuhaul village for a tour. When we told them we were booked with David and Ivan, they said the taxi would be $5.00 even though it was clearly written in a number of places that the cost was only $3.00. We balked at that, but they assured us that the fair would be for both ways. We worried however when they did not and would not give us any proof that we paid. We were told to talk to David and Ivan, which we did. I am not sure they understood what had happened (I am planning to email them next). Anyway, to make a long story short, when it came time to go back to the pier, we were charged the $2.00 for a return trip. We argued with the people who took our $5.00 but to no avail. So don't let them rip you off too! We found out later if you walked down the street outside the gate (2 minute walk) you could get a taxi to Majuhaul for $2.

S.G.

Yeah, I got snagged by the same taxi ripoff. Since David and Ivan give you the option to ride back to the pier the drivers are trying to get $5 out of you no matter what. I ending up paying $6 more than I should have. I didnt like it, but it was probably the only thing that went wrong that day so I didnt mind. The line for taxis back was really long but the buses from the pier were picking up folks from the back of the line. Saved me a good 45 minutes waiting in line.

Not hard at all... this is what DW and I did after the tour. Food is good at Cat's Meow, and the owner Barbara is very friendly. All the shops are right there and the taxi pickup is just a stone's throw from Cat's Meow.

If the line is long for the taxis, look for the vans on the street behind the restaurant and ride back with them (they are the same folks who drop you off in Mahahual).

• 1 month later...

What a wealth of information!

We are planning to tour with David or Ivan (or whomever) the end of this month and just wanted to hear any recent (06) experiences.

We are still trying to decide between the Experience and the Extreme.

Does anyone have any recent comments on Laguna Azul?

Thanks, Bill

What a wealth of information!

We are planning to tour with David or Ivan (or whomever) the end of this month and just wanted to hear any recent (06) experiences.

We are still trying to decide between the Experience and the Extreme.

Does anyone have any recent comments on Laguna Azul?

Thanks, Bill

Can't help you with Laguna Azul but we did David and Ivan's tour in Feb when we sailed on the Miracle. See our post #210 and read post #216 from Johnny Cruiser. We were both on the same tour with Ivan. Awesome.

If you would like to see pics from this tour you can view my pics at http://community.webshots.com/user/lnew1gd1 and choose the album Carnival Miracle 2006 Belize and Costa Maya.

Enjoy your cruise and the tour with David and Ivan!! Wish we could go back today. Costa Maya is now my favorite port.

Lynn

We didn't use the pool but what I saw it was sparkling clean. There were quite a few people in the pool.

The pier area is definitely for tourists, shops, food, vendors and more. But, and this is only IMHO, why would you go to a new country/island/area and not want to see the real thing? I wouldn't stay in the tourist area more than just a little while.

Rather see the ocean, rain forest and beaches than a man made pool. Nice area in Majahual. Get out and see the real Costa Maya.

• 3 weeks later...

We were in port on May 26th. We left the ship as early as we could, and walked into the port. I am not fond of Disney-type fake stuff, and that's what it felt like. If you want to shop, I'm sure there is plenty to do. We decided to go to Majahual right away.

It was a bit of a maze to find our way to the rear of the port. Once we found it, there were buses waiting to take people to Majahual. It cost $3 US, which we already knew. I could see taxis a little ways down the road, but we would have had to walk down there and go through a barbed-wire fence and check point. Didn't look very friendly. I knew we could get a cab for $2 each out there, but hey, it was only a $1 difference.

Once in Majahual, we met with Ivan for our tour to Chacchoben. We waited in the shade by the beach at the Cat's Meow...wonderful place! Hugo came running across the dirt road, introducing himself and asking what we wanted to drink. When everyone was there, we got into a van and were on our way. This was about 9:00 am ship time (we had moved our clocks ahead one hour from EST) The van had a speaker in the back, but Ivan's voice is not very loud, so you have to listen carefully. The stories and information he shared about the Mayan culture was invaluable. He went into detail about the politics and government, and how the area was and still is growing. The fishermen now use their boats to take tourists out, and not-so-honest people from Cancun were coming down to Costa Maya to prey on the unsuspecting tourists. They buy junk from Taiwan and pass it off as authentic Mexican items. Ivan also explained how to haggle for prices, and that this is expected by the locals.

At Chacchoben, we got off the van and went to an open building with a thatched roof. It was like a flea market or bazaar, with vendors in sections selling their items. The Incan calendars are not "hand carved" as they claim, but simple plaster casts. The clothing is beautiful, but of course over priced. It's best to decide how much you are willing to pay for an item and stick with it. We walked away twice from the same vendor who wouldn't meet our prices, and I bought one of the plaster calendars from the next vendor for $10. Ivan gathered our group and led us down a path to the ruins.

The ruins...words cannot describe the feeling you get standing in front of the temple. It was only one of several that have been excavated, and only partially. Ivan showed us where the wall continued, still covered with earth and vegetation, and the next mound that held another temple. We listened to Ivan's talk of human sacrifice and the reasons for it. Too much to tell here, but we were enthralled with the information. We walked around the temple to see the many living areas, and Ivan explained family life, food and meals, and religous beliefs. Again, too much to tell here. Ivan plucked leaves from nearby trees and let us smell them...one was allspice, very aromatic. We continued to another set of steps, which we climbed to see more temples.

The temples are protected with a rope, so you are not allowed to climb all over them. But you are walking right through the unexcavated areas. Look down and you are stepping over hand-carved stones that once were part of a wall or step. You are a part of history for just an hour or so, standing in the place where a Mayan woman may have cooked corn for a visitor in her husband's home...

Once we were back in Majahual, we went to the Cat's Meow and ordered buckets of beer and fajitas. Delicious food, excellent company. The shaded table kept us cool, as did the gentle breeze. A village dog was wondering around, and I fed him biscuits that I had brought. We did not have pushy vendors bothering us. It was very pleasant.

After eating, my daughter, who is 23, and I went to look at the tourist stands. We wondered from booth to booth, each time hearing the vender invite us to see their beautiful items. "Come see my things, they are beautiful"...Ivan had warned us that they speak very little English, and there wouldn't be much conversation. This was true. We politely nodded and moved on, and they didn't chase us or make us feel uncomfortable. If we showed too much interest in a particular skirt or necklace, and could feel the vender closing in to pressure us to buy, I said "No dinero, Poppy has dinero, we must ask him". That worked! They seem to believe that a woman would need to ask permission to purchase something. Most of the things they were selling were not hand made. The resin figurines were "hand carved fish bone!!" which we knew wasn't true. More plaster casts, resin figurines...nothing that looked or felt like it was locally made. Maybe the clothing, but we didn't spend that much time looking. I don't buy many souveneirs.

After that, my daughter and I got our snorkels and masks and swam around in the beautiful water. We were just playing mostly, didn't expect to see much. There isn't any coral, not near the shore. But there is the remains of a pier near the Cat's Meow beach area. Chunks of concrete and rebar would make a very inviting habitat for sea life, I thought. I was right! There were lots of beautiful fish, small but colorful, and lots of sea urchins. We took pictures and swam around looking at all the fish. We stayed there for about 30 minutes, just looking. I saw what looked like a fish's head sticking out from under a piece of concrete...a MORAY EEL! I swear, I could see that wicked looking head, eyes and teeth right there. I called my daughter and we watched it for a while. I wanted to see more of the eel, but I remembered our dive instructor telling us not to "pull the dog's tail"...in other words, don't taunt the wildlife, so we left it alone.

A quick cab ride back to the pier...they wanted us to tip the driver $2 per person, but it cost $2 per person for the ride, so I gave him a $1 tip for all three of us. We poked around inside the duty free jewerly shops...I wasn't impressed with the prices. We didn't buy anything. T-shirts were cheap, and there was a lot to look at, at all levels of prices.

So, that was my take on Costa Maya. It was one of our favorite ports. I just wish we had more time. The day seemed rushed, but every day in port felt rushed.

If anyone has questions, feel free to ask.

Thank you for your detailed review. We are booked for the same tour in December so it was very informative. I was especially pleased to know you can snorkle near by after going to the ruins.

Archived