VOIP App Question

Has anyone used any of the viop apps such as Vonage (already a Vonage customer for home phone) or Magic Jack to make calls to the U.S. from the Caribbean using public wifi? If so, what was your experience? Recommendation(s)?

It may depend on the ship, and if it has upgraded internet access. It may also depend on their firewall configuration.

Even if you can't use it aboard, you probably can while you are in port. Look for an internet café for the fastest service. Don't forget your phone may also have 4G service in some ports.

Edited by Cigar King

I downloaded the Vonage Extensions app as it works with my home calling plan. We're counting on free wifi being available in some of the ports whether it is at a restaurant, shop, pier, etc... Planning on putting the phone in Airplane mode w/ wifi on to avoid inadvertent 3G/4G cellular connections and the related fees.

I downloaded the Vonage Extensions app as it works with my home calling plan. We're counting on free wifi being available in some of the ports whether it is at a restaurant, shop, pier, etc... Planning on putting the phone in Airplane mode w/ wifi on to avoid inadvertent 3G/4G cellular connections and the related fees.

On my iPhone, putting it in airplane mode also disables wifi connectivity. One option is to turn off roaming in your phone's cellular settings (voice & data). That way if you are in range of your home network, you'll have connectivity.

I'm an Ooma customer, and have the app on my iPhone. I'm not planning on making a lot of calls, but it will be nice if I have the option when underway.

Paula

Has anyone used any of the viop apps such as Vonage (already a Vonage customer for home phone) or Magic Jack to make calls to the U.S. from the Caribbean using public wifi? If so, what was your experience? Recommendation(s)?

You need it while on the ship or on ports? If you can live w/o phone while at Sea, and you have a GSM-phone, highly, highly recommend t-mobile simple plans. They have unlimited free data roaming @ 3G speeds just about everywhere in the Caribbean and really affordable calling rates. If you want to have your phone on while at sea, you can try Google Voice + Google Hangouts. Works well and not too terrible in broadband consumption.

On my iPhone, putting it in airplane mode also disables wifi connectivity. One option is to turn off roaming in your phone's cellular settings (voice & data). That way if you are in range of your home network, you'll have connectivity.

I'm an Ooma customer, and have the app on my iPhone. I'm not planning on making a lot of calls, but it will be nice if I have the option when underway.

Paula

Both my phones (an Android for personal use and an iPhone for work) can utilize wifi when in airplane mode; I just need to turn wifi on separately. The Vonage app allows users to choose how the app connects and doesn't connect; I chose the wifi only option. I just hope the Vonage app works as described. The reviews are mixed, but lean more toward favorable.