Just off the Fantasy, May 25-30

Tenga1899

Just got back to VA after a week on the Fantasy. Had a great cruise to the Bahamas with a bunch of first-timers, including a 6 yo that had a blast with the waterworks, golf, and Hasbro game show.

I have posted a review, but the quick and dirty:

Ship - clean, well kept, was constantly being worked on by the crew

Room - Interior - not as cold as I would have liked but clean and comfortable

Crew - top notch, just really excellent and always smiled

Food - MDR was wonderful as always and the Buffet had more than enough options daily to stuff, the 24 hr Pizza/Ice cream were a hit with my crowd and the late night room service came through with good sandwiches

Entertainment - the canned shows were ok but Hasbro was a lot of fun, our little man got to participate; the comedians were great - John Wesley Austin was on my first cruise and was present for this one and the man knows how to due cruise humor :) The live music on the Promenade was also pretty good

Cruise - sailing in the Atlantic did notice more rolling of the ship on this cruise but not bad for me, though one of my group members did not tolerate it very well as they recover from a stroke

Bahamas - everyone has their opinions, but I did think the upgrades to the Port area in Freeport were nice from when I was there 7 years ago; the Open Bar beach experience had flavored water in place of EtOH but was otherwise a fun day; the Balmoral Island Dolphin Encounter was great but didnt leave much time on the beach, though that probably worked out since the bar was pricey.

I have finished scanning all of the Fun Times and the Camp Carnival Schedule for 6-8 year olds and will post them here soon as I figure out how. I have some other random stuff I scanned too such as room service menu, the current Fantasy internet options, etc.

If you have any questions, let me know and I'll try to answer, though I do need to get back to reality here shortly unfortunately :(

That's all I got, I forgot to snipe a bar menu but it was the same as has been posted on here recently as far as 5.95-6.95 for beer, 7.95-8.95 for mixed drinks including DoD, etc

My GF and I did do Cheers as we had a good bit of OBC. I think we'll make out ahead but still need to process the data some, unfortunately, since our drinks were "$0" per the billing summary, I'll have to guestimate some. I think its a nice program, don't know if I'd do it again if on a port intensive trip but the sea days, was more than worth it.

Charleston needs to own up to its roots as a sailing city/city of tourism and proceed with the new terminal. I love my home city, but in some cases, the strong grasp to the past needs to be loosened and this is one of those situations.

We love The Fantasy. We have sailed on her 6 times. Seventh one is booked in October. She will be replaced with The Ecstasy in February. Glad y'all enjoyed your cruise. Yes, the Charleston blue bloods need to give up the fight. I cannot see any of your pics. May be a problem on my end. Here's to future happy sailings!!!

Misslucy01

We love The Fantasy. We have sailed on her 6 times. Seventh one is booked in October. She will be replaced with The Ecstasy in February. Glad y'all enjoyed your cruise. Yes, the Charleston blue bloods need to give up the fight. I cannot see any of your pics. May be a problem on my end. Here's to future happy sailings!!!

Misslucy01

They are all PDF's... It's all I can do for now and they download if clicked on, but hopefully I can covert them to something that will come across visually in the post by next weekend. I would definitely do Fantasy again but I think I'm looking to do a B2B on the Breeze next year and do the Southern/Eastern routes so it may be a while.

Charleston needs to own up to its roots as a sailing city/city of tourism and proceed with the new terminal. I love my home city, but in some cases, the strong grasp to the past needs to be loosened and this is one of those situations.

I agree with you 100%. I don't see Carnival investing in Charleston (with newer ships) if the city does not invest in itself. People seem mad that CCL won't put a new ship there, but those same people don't realize that Charleston is not a top-tier port when you look at all the ports CCL currently goes out of. It's a B-list port. CCL is not going to put the Magic, Dream, Vista, etc. in Charleston.

Tenga1899,

Did you do a fixed seating or Anytime Dining? We will be on the Fantasy in July with Anytime Dining and I'd love a wait staff suggestion to ask for. If you didn't maybe someone else can offer a suggestion of a good team???

Tenga1899,

Did you do a fixed seating or Anytime Dining? We will be on the Fantasy in July with Anytime Dining and I'd love a wait staff suggestion to ask for. If you didn't maybe someone else can offer a suggestion of a good team???

We did scheduled dining. We had dinner in the Jubilee at 6 and our waiter was Rafael. I don't remember the assistant, there was always 2 or so that changed out I think. But Rafael was very nice, treated everyone with respect and got the 6 yo to dance and play and such. A very nice man.

I may try out ATD on a future cruise but since we did the 6 pm dining (for the older people in the group ;) ) all the shows began after we finished dinner so we could have done anything we wanted but it did mean sun time was cut short and after-port relaxing was tight on time if we got back to the ship at 430. But we always managed to meet up at 5 pm for our sailaways and then still make it to dinner.

For anytime dining, ask for Atmaja (pronounced Atmaya) and his wait team. AWESOME! He said he would be on until October. He truly made dinner special and remembered us every evening...names, our drinks, etc. He would serve my daughter quickly so she could make the 7pm camp carnival activity. You won't be disappointed.

We're on the Nov 1st sailing. First time in Charleston for both of us.

Where is a decent hotel? Looks like North Charleston? We're NOT Suite people who can afford the $250 plus/night for the places near the Port!

We also will be driving & parking at the Port. Any suggestions re: "Once u get near the Port, don't miss the Right/Left turn at ......" Thanx! Joe

Forgot....since it's our first time in Charleston, would it be worth it to come up a day early? (I know, it's Halloween!) It takes approx. 7 hours to drive from home.

If so, why? e.g., "Joe, u HAVE to see xxxx or go to xxxxx." If YOU only had one day in Charleston, where would u go & why?

Thanx! Joe

Where is a decent hotel? Looks like North Charleston? We're NOT Suite people who can afford the $250 plus/night for the places near the Port!

We also will be driving & parking at the Port. Any suggestions re: "Once u get near the Port, don't miss the Right/Left turn at ......" Thanx! Joe

North Charleston isn't always the best place to stay. Try looking for something in Mount Pleasant. West Ashley is also a better option than N. Charleston.

Honestly, if you are planning on driving in and parking, I would look more at Mount Pleasant or even the Goose Creek/N Charleston or Summerville areas to stay. Summerville has a lot of restaurants/shopping available as does the GC/NC area around Northwoods Mall, are cheaper, and your chance of finding decent areas to stay is higher. YES, you would be about 30 minutes away from the port the next morning but its an easy drive down I26 to the port from there and you avoid the cost of staying downtown or near the port. If you're coming in a day early, you have time to visit downtown and check out the market area and King Street. In MP you could stay out near the Towne Centre and probably find some more affordable places and be about 15 minutes from the port. I may be partial to GC and Summerville though, that was more my neck of the woods growing up.

Going to the port is easy enough, they have signs posted for "Cruise Traffic" that will lead you straight in to the parking area, roughly it directs you by the SC Aquarium first and then into the Union Pier parking circus.

We always stay at Hampton Inn and Suites in North Charleston on Fernwood Dr. Runs around 160 and includes parking at hotel, shuttle to and from the ship and a delicious country breakfast. Very very clean rooms and safe area to leave vehicle.

Misslucy01

We did scheduled dining. We had dinner in the Jubilee at 6 and our waiter was Rafael. I don't remember the assistant, there was always 2 or so that changed out I think. But Rafael was very nice, treated everyone with respect and got the 6 yo to dance and play and such. A very nice man.

I may try out ATD on a future cruise but since we did the 6 pm dining (for the older people in the group ;) ) all the shows began after we finished dinner so we could have done anything we wanted but it did mean sun time was cut short and after-port relaxing was tight on time if we got back to the ship at 430. But we always managed to meet up at 5 pm for our sailaways and then still make it to dinner.

Was the assistant Seville? Nice looking Indian guy? They're my favorite wait team on Fantasy. I've had them four times and adore Seville.

I haven't sailed her since Risa left and have been hoping there's been no decline in the service/attitude. Every ship seems to differ but I've loved sailing her. Crew/staff has always been great and I swear that Fantasy has the best chef in the fleet (as least the ships I've sailed). The food has always been good to great.

I booked her for 4/30/16 but she'll be gone by then and I'm switched to Ecstasy. I'd really like to sail her one more time before she leaves but I'm just off Conquest yesterday and have two more cruises booked for this fall, so I don't think it will happen. :(

For those who haven't sailed from Charleston, check the East Coast Departures board. All the hotel/parking/restaurant stuff is there.

As someone else said North Charleston is not that great, high crime area, unless you stay near the airport/coliseum area near the Tanger outlets. That's the good side of North Chatleston.