La Spezia - Florence/Pisa- What To See

midlifecruiser

Hello Everyone

We are a British couple arriving into La Spezia on 01 July aboard Allure of the Seas. This will be our first experience of Tuscany so wondered what y'all recommend to see and what not to bother with? And can anyone recommend a young and fun tour company to help us get the best from the area? We have previously used We Hate Tourism tours in Lisbon and looking to use Brightside in Barcelona - we prefer to be out and about exploring/experiencing local life and landscape in a small group than traipsing around museums (and frankly probably don't have time to the Uffizi justice in a couple of hours). We'd also prefer to join a small group and meet new friends rather than a private tour for just the two of us....

Well, for starters, I wouldn't go to Florence from La Spezia, I'd go to Cinque Terre. Google it and see if it's something you'd enjoy. It's very easy to DIY using the train, although I'm sure there are tours offered. They're just not necessary.

Well, for starters, I wouldn't go to Florence from La Spezia, I'd go to Cinque Terre. Google it and see if it's something you'd enjoy. It's very easy to DIY using the train, although I'm sure there are tours offered. They're just not necessary.

Agree totally.

You might want to do some reading on this board...there are many threads with info on the area.

Thanks both

Having already visited Sorrento (inc old town), Amalfi, Capri and Positano we were a bit concerned that Cinque Terre would be more of the same (ie more tumble down houses on steep hillsides down to the shoreline)..... is it really special/different enough to warrant a visit? :rolleyes:

Thanks both

Having already visited Sorrento (inc old town), Amalfi, Capri and Positano we were a bit concerned that Cinque Terre would be more of the same (ie more tumble down houses on steep hillsides down to the shoreline)..... is it really special/different enough to warrant a visit? :rolleyes:

You REALLY need to do some research!! It's a series of five interconnected seaside villages and you can hike between them or take the train or take a boat and they're very small and picturesque and almost all of us have done all the towns you mentioned beforehand but would not miss the Cinque Terre!! You say you're looking for fun and not to see museums so IMO this is perfect for you!!

Plus it is a looong ride to Florence from La Spezia!

Thanks both

Yes, Cinque Terre is different and special. Again some reading and research would give you lots of info.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Thanks CathyCruises and CruiserBruce... Believe me, I have done plenty of research :) However, I think Europeans and Americans have a very different experience of destinations within the Med as it is much easier/cheaper for us to go back at a later date and spend more time there. For example, I know several people who have spent a week hiking the Cinque Terre, and it feels like maybe this would be a better way to experience it and that a few hours from the cruise ship might not be worth it? Then again I doubt a trip into Florence will be much better - (again not a problem as we could justify a long weekend in Florence or a week or so in Tuscany quite easily). I'm just trying to work out the best use of our day! Unfortunately La Spezia itself doesn't appear to be any great shakes (shame we aren't going to Genoa)......

Okay, then back to Florence. As mentioned it is a longish drive from La Spezia. Since you have ruled out museums, that eliminates the 'real' David which is in the Accademia (prebought tickets a must). You can see a replica outside in one of the main piazzas, however. The Duomo and the baptistery, the Ponte Vecchio, Santa Croce to 'visit' all the famous people buried there are among the main highlights.

I think you may have a mistaken idea about 'Americans', however. Not all of us are just day trippers from cruise ships. Many posters on this board have spent lots of time in Europe, pre- and post-cruise and having nothing at all to do wth a cruise. It is a much more significant commitment of time and money for us to visit Europe than it is for those of you lucky enough to be able to hop over for a long weekend. For instance, we just returned a few days ago from a month post-cruise in Normandy and Brittany, have spent weeks at a time in Italy, etc., as have many others here. So when you are asking for an opinion of what to do in a specific port, it's not JUST as cruise ship one-time visitors that we are responding. . .and personally if I had just a day to spend in La Spezia, keeping in mind that we spent a month in Tuscany alone a few years ago, I would still vote for Cinque Terre!

I think you may have a mistaken idea about 'Americans', however. Not all of us are just day trippers from cruise ships. Many posters on this board have spent lots of time in Europe, pre- and post-cruise and having nothing at all to do wth a cruise. . . .and personally if I had just a day to spend in La Spezia, keeping in mind that we spent a month in Tuscany alone a few years ago, I would still vote for Cinque Terre!

Got to agree with Cathy again. We have 5 land trips to Europe in the last 10 years, for over 125 total days, including in the Florence/Sienna/Cinque Terre area last June for 15 days. And am planning a 15 day trip to France next summer.

Edited by CruiserBruce

If Cinque Terre doesn't thrill you...perhaps Lucca, which is a smaller Tuscan town then Florence, but not so small that it's preponderantly tourist? It appears more of a PITA to get there from La Spezia then Livorno, but might fit the bill.

It's funny though, I'm searching cruises for next year that will either get me to La Spezia or a cruise that will begin or end in easy striking distance by train. One cruise I'm looking at hits both Livorno and La Spezia....Love it because Lucca was missing from our land time in Tuscany (just need a few hundred off the price before I bite and change from another booked cruise). We spent our time further south in Tuscany.

Thanks again all, I bow to your superior knowledge and hope I haven't offended anyone :o (cathycruises??) Buggins - I did think of Lucca, but as we will hopefully return for at least a week if not more in Tuscany would probably cover that off then. I have done some more research and realise that Portofino is just slightly further up the coast from the Cinque Terre and that's one place I've always wanted to see (although I said that about Amalfi and was disappointed) - or is it horribly touristy?:confused: Any thoughts on the town and viability of a short trip welcome

Thanks again all, I bow to your superior knowledge and hope I haven't offended anyone :o (cathycruises??) Buggins - I did think of Lucca, but as we will hopefully return for at least a week if not more in Tuscany would probably cover that off then. I have done some more research and realise that Portofino is just slightly further up the coast from the Cinque Terre and that's one place I've always wanted to see (although I said that about Amalfi and was disappointed) - or is it horribly touristy?:confused: Any thoughts on the town and viability of a short trip welcome

Never been... it would be doable, but not slam dunk easy:

http://www.rome2rio.com/s/La-Spezia/Portofino

Another thought...almost as far, but a direct train - if you are a "foodie" Parma might interest you. I also looked up Castell Arquata on the map...it's in Emilia-Romagna but very Tuscan like, but it's too far unless you had a driver and could be combined with Parma if port times are long.

we will be visiting La spezia in 3 weeks on Anthem of the seas,

How long does it take to walk from the port to the train station?

does the port put on a shuttle to the town?

or are their buses from the port to the station?

Thanks