Fred Olsen

aaerobear

We have looked at a few of the sailings of this unfamiliar cruiseline and were wondering if anyone has sailed on them recently. I found a few posts from a while back and just wondered if anyone had been on them in the last few months and would give me an idea what to expect.

Thanks

Ed

Have not sailed with Fred Olsen Cruise Lines yet but have considered it as well and have thus studied them a bit. You can order their brochure on-line and they'll send it to you. In the interim, I can give you the ship ratings per the 2005 edition of the Berlitz Ocean Cruising Guide:

BLACK PRINCE **+

BLACK WATCH ****

BRAEMAR ***+

These are out of 5 possible stars. Sorry, this is all I know for now. I felt they were rather expensive but did offer some interesting port options.

BobK/Orlando

Hi I went on a Fred Olsen cruise to the Norwegian Fjords July 2005. We were on the Bramer and really enjoyed ourselves. They are quite small ships compared with the big American cruise ships, but are very friendly and very British. I have never been on one of the big cruise ships so I can not really compare. They have a new ship called the Boudicca which sales in 2006.

• 2 weeks later...

We also did the Braemar Norwegian fjord trip last August, picking this because, as a smaller ship, it can get into smaller places. Fred. Olsen are a Norwegian line firmly targetted at the Senior end of the UK market, sailing in summer out of UK ports. At the age of 57, we were definitely amongst the youngsters on board, and the ambiance, entertainment reflect their demographic.

The shore excursions also tend towards the relaxed, although there were some decent walking trips up into the mountains and glaciers.

Braemar itself, although not new, seemed reasonably spacious in most areas, spotlessly clean, and the food is not particularly adventurous but is probably above the average for a ***+ ship. Drinks are very reasonable, as is the wine - we had seven perfectly acceptable bottles at dinner, from seven different countries, and all in the £12 - £15 ($20 - $25).

As I have mentioned on a thread elsewhere, they do have some good practices - some lounges are wholly non-smoking, there are warnings all over the sun deck that items unattended for 30 miniutes will be removed, their personal hygiene regime is thorough. Also, for those interested, being mainly older Brits, the adherence to dress code was 100%, and there were probably 85% of men in DJ/Tuxedos on formal nights.

Hope this helps; if you have other questions, go ahead and ask.

Fred Olsen is a very british, small ship cruise line. The Braemar, which does mostly 2 week Caribbean Winter Cruises (and from the UK in Summer) is their largest ship. it's a nice little ship, but again, very british, from the food to the entertainment. Older passengers usually, but the itineraries are all very good.

let me know if you need any further information

• 2 weeks later...

Have sailed Fred Olsen 3 times, twice on Black Watch and once on Braemar, and after sailing some of the bigger lines i.e. Celebrity, Princess, RCI FO are still my favourite, by far.

Their itineraries are usually quite interesting, we have done the Amazon and the Baltic, where larger ships cannot navigate!

Unfortunately the lack of balcony cabins for me is a minus, as I like to have a cigarette on the balcony, my husband does not smoke!

Being smaller ships, the staff are more approachable and mingle more with the guests. (No jokes about dining with the staff) and the crew are very accomodating!

Food is of good quality albeit simple. Wines are very reasonably priced with an excellent selection! Also there is no restrictions on taking alchohol aboard a big + for us lol

On a 14 night cruise there are normally 3 formal evenings, the rest being a mixture of smart casual/casual!

Being a smaller ship, you get to tour the galley/bridge engine room etc. I enjoyed seeing the galley, it is like a military operation!

The clientel is mainly european with a mingling of rest of the world depending on itinerary!

Give them a go I don't think you will be disappointed!

OK F/O wheres my free cruise for Boudicea lol

Another good thing about Fred Olsen ships, they have single cabins. I am on the Black Watch for a mini cruise in December and Boudicca to Norway in September 2006. My single inside cabin on both ships is 150 sq.ft. This compares to my twin outside cabin on QE2 this sumer which was only 120sq.ft. and a single cabin on QE2 at 87 sq.ft! I think the service compares well with QE2 but at 50 years old I am definately on the younger side of Fred Olsen cruisers.No complaints there, I have enjoyed many cruises on RCI but now that I travel on my own I prefer a cruise line that is not so in your face and with few if any children. Dennis.

Hallo Katiecoos,Sekhmet, Sunniebgi and Kazover40,

Thank you for your information on the Braemar. We are sailing with her in february 2006 and I have some questions: did ayone have a the luxe suite with balcony, do you have any privilages when you are on a suite, does Fred Olson give you bathropes and what are the amenities in the cabins, is there the possiblity of breakfast in the cabin, did anyone the amazone iterary and how are the excursions. While typing I realised I have a lot of questions, but I hope anyone of you former Braemar cruisers can answer them.

Hope to hear from you. Greetings from the netherlands Geertje

Hallo Katiecoos,Sekhmet, Sunniebgi and Kazover40,

Thank you for your information on the Braemar. We are sailing with her in february 2006 and I have some questions: did ayone have a the luxe suite with balcony, do you have any privilages when you are on a suite, does Fred Olson give you bathropes and what are the amenities in the cabins, is there the possiblity of breakfast in the cabin, did anyone the amazone iterary and how are the excursions. While typing I realised I have a lot of questions, but I hope anyone of you former Braemar cruisers can answer them.

Hope to hear from you. Greetings from the netherlands Geertje

Did the Amazon on Black Watch, most of the itinerary you do not need to book excursions, most are reachable by foot or taxi! Except Manus, where you can see the rainforest with an excursion, which is on the far bank from where you dock! Manus is very inexpensive, but you will need local currency for street vendors!

Lots of children in small boats begging and are grateful for old clothes t shirts, sandals etc. But are just as happy with the fruit off the buffet lol!

If you are doing Devils Island and know the history, it is fascinating! But don't buy a beer, I think it is the most expensive I have ever come across!

Archived