Formal Night on Dawn

molly82400

I know I'm going to hate myself in the morning:rolleyes:for putting the following opinion out here; but what the hell...

I don't care if you don't want to do 'formal' or 'dress up'; but I do care about what seems to be a trend towards total disregard for appropriate attire in some circumstances. And not just on cruises. Maybe I'm just getting too old....

Sandy

p.s. I agree with Doc....lots of people on the cruises I've been on got dressed up for that one NCL nite and it was quite nice!

Edited by Samstress

I know I'm going to hate myself in the morning:rolleyes:for putting the following opinion out here; but what the hell...

I don't care if you don't want to do 'formal' or 'dress up'; but I do care about what seems to be a trend towards total disregard for appropriate attire in some circumstances. And not just on cruises. Maybe I'm just getting too old....

Sandy

And appropriate attire for NCL irrespective of what night it is for evening dining venues is: no tanks, swimwear, vest, caps, holed/ripped jeans. And additionally no shorts in the aft MDR and Bistro on most ships.

Anything other than that is appropriate for this cruise line.

There are many fashion styles from around the world .

Suit and tie aren't for every one . J.M.H.O.

That's what I mean! Respect for your culture. I might not have had the opportunity to don a kilt but I've worn the female version of one of the others:D and loved every moment that I did!

Cheers

Sandra.

Edited by Samstress

Being ganged up on does not constitute as being "behind", as you so eloquently wrote. I do appreciate you calling me "kid" though, as it makes me feel not quite as old. I do feel strongly about this topic, obviously, and that's not a bad thing. Also, I was willing to accept that some people might be offended by my remarks, which I did state. I just feel like there is a few people on this thread who are trying to dissuade others from dressing up by indicating that these people would be in the strong minority if they did so, which is not the case. Additionally, it says right on NCL's website (which I can admit is not always the most reliable place for information), that Norwegian's Night Out is a time to "Dress up and step out ", while still optional of course. While not as many people dress up for formal night on NCL as they do on the other lines, it is still more than 10%. That being said, I will take notice on my upcoming Breakaway cruise and report back, maybe it will turn out that I am wrong.

Well, even if those of us with quite a few NCL cruises were completely wrong and there were as many as 20-30% that dressed up, it would still be a strong minority! That would still leave 80% not dressing to your standard. None of us have tried to dissuade anyone from dressing up. But for those that don't want to pack extra's or feel intimidated, they should clearly know that the large majority of NCL cruisers do not "dress up", there is no pressure to dress up and the Captain will pose for pictures whether your in a suit or shorts and a t shirt.

Sandy

p.s. I agree with Doc....lots of people on the cruises I've been on got dressed up for that one NCL nite and it was quite nice!

Amen! However, it's a losing battle at this point, Sandy. Attire trends in cruises are going in the wrong direction and getting less nice.

Amen! However, it's a losing battle at this point, Sandy. Attire trends in cruises are going in the wrong direction and getting less nice.

Stop being so insecure and dress how you enjoy and don't mind what others do. I don't see what is so different or special about these nights on cruises. They look and feel and have the same food as other nights anyways. Yes, it is a prime time to get portrait photos if that is what you want to do.

Here's the thing; you consider something fun, but that fun is diminished if you don't have crowd participation. Can't you have fun with your own group??? I've chosen a cruise line with Freestyle choice. I can dress formal, I can dress casual, and I have no expectation that the rest of the crowd will participate and it doesn't have a negative impact on me. I just don't hand that sort of power over my happiness to a stranger I don't know and won't see again.

Now, if formal attire was a barrier to entry for special events, special food, special entertainment, etc., I may reconsider the Freestyle choice concept because those are things that impact my enjoyment.

Stop being so insecure and dress how you enjoy and don't mind what others do. I don't see what is so different or special about these nights on cruises. They look and feel and have the same food as other nights anyways. Yes, it is a prime time to get portrait photos if that is what you want to do.

Here's the thing; you consider something fun, but that fun is diminished if you don't have crowd participation. Can't you have fun with your own group??? I've chosen a cruise line with Freestyle choice. I can dress formal, I can dress casual, and I have no expectation that the rest of the crowd will participate and it doesn't have a negative impact on me. I just don't hand that sort of power over my happiness to a stranger I don't know and won't see again.

Now, if formal attire was a barrier to entry for special events, special food, special entertainment, etc., I may reconsider the Freestyle choice concept because those are things that impact my enjoyment.

Insecure is the wrong work to use in this scenario. Disturbed would be a better choice. I do have fun with my own group, but we do wish more people onboard participated in NCL's formal night, as it provides for a better overall experience for everyone on the ship, not just our group. Again, it makes it seem like people are on the same page for the one night, and taking part of something as a larger group, even a larger society if you will. It's like a costume or theme party, it's more fun if everyone is involved.

I do love your passion though, even if we disagree. Having passion is necessary to enjoying life. Like Prince Oberyn in Game of Thrones. Don't ever lose that passion.

Edited by Doc2725
Typo

Insecure is the wrong work to use in this scenario. Disturbed would be a better choice. I do have fun with my own group, but we do wish more people onboard participated in NCL's formal night, as it provides for a better overall experience for everyone on the ship, not just our group. Again, it makes it seem like people are on the same page for the one night, and taking part of something as a larger group, even a larger society if you will. It's like a costume or theme party, it's more fun if everyone is involved.

I do love your passion though, even if we disagree. Having passion is necessary to enjoying life. Like Prince Oberyn in Game of Thrones. Don't ever lose that passion.

Just what we need .

2000 sweaty people dressed to the nines standing in line for photos with the captain.

The atrium packed like Sardines .

A line out the door and all the way around the promenade deck (Just like early walk off ).

Gowns sparkling in the hot summer sun .

Lot's of Fun .:rolleyes:

I do have fun with my own group, but we do wish more people onboard participated in NCL's formal night, as it provides for a better overall experience for everyone on the ship, not just our group. Again, it makes it seem like people are on the same page for the one night, and taking part of something as a larger group, even a larger society if you will.

What is this better overall experience? NCL doesn't even serve lobster anymore or a midnight gala party. They don't do anything to make the night different than a "regular" night. There are more pay-for photo opportunities. I don't think being forced to wear a suit makes something necessarily a better overall experience for me when there's no compelling reason to do so. Cruise ship photos are not a compelling reason.

NCL have adopted the Freestyle choice philosophy and so we will dress how we wish, eat when we want, and be entertained how we choose. We'll have a great time because nothing is forced on us that we don't want. You are not forced either. You feel silly being one of a few in your suit. That's insecurity. Get over it and feel great dressed to the nines, or go somewhere that you can be assured the majority of people also take pleasure from formal / most people dressing up. Because right now to spend money on something you don't enjoy looks like a waste from where I sit.

Maybe if you would call the night by it's proper name you could understand it just a little better - it's "Norwegian's Night Out". There is no such thing as a "Formal Night" on Norwegian Cruise Line. I also hope you are not too disappointed that "Dress up" or "Dress Casual" or "Dress any way you want" Photos are taken every night of your cruise.

Edited by peg013

Maybe if you would call the night by it's proper name you could understand it just a little better - it's "Norwegian's Night Out". There is no such thing as a "Formal Night" on Norwegian Cruise Line. I also hope you are not too disappointed that "Dress up" or "Dress Casual" or "Dress any way you want" Photos are taken every night of your cruise.

Right, but it's NCL's closest thing to a formal night.

What is this better overall experience? NCL doesn't even serve lobster anymore or a midnight gala party. They don't do anything to make the night different than a "regular" night. There are more pay-for photo opportunities. I don't think being forced to wear a suit makes something necessarily a better overall experience for me when there's no compelling reason to do so. Cruise ship photos are not a compelling reason.

NCL have adopted the Freestyle choice philosophy and so we will dress how we wish, eat when we want, and be entertained how we choose. We'll have a great time because nothing is forced on us that we don't want. You are not forced either. You feel silly being one of a few in your suit. That's insecurity. Get over it and feel great dressed to the nines, or go somewhere that you can be assured the majority of people also take pleasure from formal / most people dressing up. Because right now to spend money on something you don't enjoy looks like a waste from where I sit.

Again, I love the energy/detail, thank you and please keep it coming! Like you, I don't like the changes of not serving lobster that night, or getting rid of the midnight gala party. The only thing they really do different that night now is put in the daily that Norwegian's Night Out is... "Dress up and step out for a meet & greet with the Captain, signature cocktails, specialty dining promotions and more." (click link for reference http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/cruise-calendar). It's up to people onboard to honor the tradition, if they so decide, which we do. I don't feel silly being in a suit, infact I feel quite the opposite, I feel bad for the others who don't participate, because they don't seem to know what they are missing out on. It's a sympathy for fellow passengers, because they could be looking spiffy! It says "hey, let's get dressed up tonight because it's fun to do when many others are also dressed up", it's an experience, and one that is made better the more people buy into it, and let their guards down.

I feel bad for the others who don't participate, because they don't seem to know what they are missing out on.

Are you under the impression that the people who don't participate have never put on a suit/tux/evening dress and gone out for dinner?

I wouldn't mind doing it on a luxury line (or for the NCL Chef's table), as it would be a different mindset. I love NCL, but even with the suite experience and specialty restaurants, the food is basically (better) banquet quality. And that's fine, because that's the kind of vacation I'm choosing -- relaxation, port visits, no pressure other than whatever I feel like doing at any given moment. If I wanted Old School Cruising I'd select an Old School Line. They are still out there.

Again, I love the energy/detail, thank you and please keep it coming! Like you, I don't like the changes of not serving lobster that night, or getting rid of the midnight gala party. The only thing they really do different that night now is put in the daily that Norwegian's Night Out is... "Dress up and step out for a meet & greet with the Captain, signature cocktails, specialty dining promotions and more." (click link for reference http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/cruise-calendar). It's up to people onboard to honor the tradition, if they so decide, which we do. I don't feel silly being in a suit, infact I feel quite the opposite, I feel bad for the others who don't participate, because they don't seem to know what they are missing out on. It's a sympathy for fellow passengers, because they could be looking spiffy! It says "hey, let's get dressed up tonight because it's fun to do when many others are also dressed up", it's an experience, and one that is made better the more people buy into it, and let their guards down.

Oh dear gawd....give it a rest.PERIOD.

This is the most support I have seen for formal night in awhile, and it's great to read. It does not take that much effort to dress up nice for one night on your cruise. It doesn't matter whether or not you do it for your job each day. When you are on a cruise, you are not sitting at a desk, or in meetings, so it is in no way the same.

I am sorry if those who do not participate in formal night find it offensive when I say- I do think laziness is a part of it. I say this because people make statements like "I don't want to have to worry about packing formal where when going on vacation", "I don't want to worry about having to get dressed up, I'm on vacation to relax.", etc. Is dressing up one night really that much of an inconvenience?. Okay, rant over :)

Is this a joke? I dress up at work everyday. I'm not dressing up on ANY vacation because there's no tangible reason to. To each their own but no reason to throw such a snotty opinion like that geez.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not missing out on anything because NCL isn't doing anything special to be missed . For the life of me I don't know why you would feel bad for anyone that enjoys doing something different from you. Consider that you are missing out? NCL dress up night is not traditional so there is nothing to honor. Try a line with a real formal night and you will see what you have been missing out on indeed because if you enjoy formal and high participation you're fundamentally choosing poorly

Are you under the impression that the people who don't participate have never put on a suit/tux/evening dress and gone out for dinner?

I wouldn't mind doing it on a luxury line (or for the NCL Chef's table), as it would be a different mindset. I love NCL, but even with the suite experience and specialty restaurants, the food is basically (better) banquet quality. And that's fine, because that's the kind of vacation I'm choosing -- relaxation, port visits, no pressure other than whatever I feel like doing at any given moment. If I wanted Old School Cruising I'd select an Old School Line. They are still out there.

Well put

We get changed from our daytime wear into some slightly smarter clothes for dinner/evening. That is as good as it gets with us. I was put off cruising for years due to "formal" night. I love NCL for allowing me to be me and not forcing me to go out and buy things I would only wear for one night x 2 times per annum. I truly believe that the entire freestyle concept, including the lack of compulsory you must wear this, is what has made NCL a success because it attracted many to cruising who were put off before. I think it would be a huge mistake to change any of this and I do get a little annoyed when people come to NCL and seem to want to change it into what they would like better.

I prefer things as they are. Dress up if you want to or go casual if that is your desire. It is treating people as adults and allowing them to, within the boudaries of decency, to choose to dress how they feel is appropriate for the evening they plan. I rarely even notice what others are wearing unless it is something that is so outrageous or truly beautiful that they really do stand out and I would keep those thoughts to myself.

So I am sorry if my slacks, flat shoes and a top and my husbands black shoes, slacks and shirt or polo shirt don't conform to what you want us to wear but that is how we are. Not our problem if someone doesn't like our way of dressing. We are not lazy, just on holidays enjoying ourselves and relaxing. You really need to stop worrying about others and enjoy it for what it is or go where things are more to your ways.

I can't believe I read through all this. FREESTYLE! Eat at whatever time you want. Wear what you want, when you want.

I've been on a number of NCL cruises. I usually wear a dress every night because that's what I'm most comfortable in. (My everyday outfits are either dresses or jeans.) It's my vacation. It doesn't matter if the person next to me at dinner or on the dance floor are wearing tuxedos or shorts cause guess what - it's their vacation too! Sometimes on NNO, I get dressed up, sometimes I don't. Sometimes for a special occasion onboard I will dress to the nines on a night that isn't NNO. It's just how I feel that day. Same as I don't make reservations for dinner in advance as I'm not sure what I want for dinner 90 days from now. And I'm not knocking the planners who have everything set. NCL gives you the option to do what you want when you want.

Lots of passion, opinions, thoughts, points of view, etc. It shows that the passengers of NCL care about their cruise experience, and that is great! To all those who participated in this debate both for and against, thanks for taking some time to contribute!

I was on the Dawn last week, my first on NCL. It was a coincidence that Saturday, Norwegian Night Out, was the same as our dinner in Le Bistro to celebrate our anniversary. We had decided that would be our dressier dinner... I was in a nice dress, not formal, and DH was in khaki dress pants with a crisp white dress shirt. We saw families in tuxes and gowns, we saw younger guests obviously dressed up a bit more than usual, and we saw cruise casual.

Everyone enjoyed themselves.

Wednesday we were going into Venetian and they were turning people away for shorts. That was a first. They had a dress code sign up, I read it closely, and it said no shorts Saturday AND Wednesday. I had no idea Wednesday was considered special at all. But I do know there were plenty of people being turned away that were not happy!!