QM2 June 3-10 EB TA log

BlueRiband

Wish it was that easy down here in Australia. :(

Clothing choices for plus sizes are very poor, particularly formal wear.

In this age of online ordering and world wide shipping just about anything money can buy can be obtained. Companies which specialize in online ordering usually have their sizes standardized and have inch/centimeter size charts so one can order with confidence that the item will fit when it arrives.

Wish it was that easy down here in Australia. :(

Clothing choices for plus sizes are very poor, particularly formalwear.

Same for Germany.

I order most of my dresses from the UK because in the city I live in I can get a trash bag with holes to stick my arms through. (Or I need to be amazingly lucky - my newest find is Zizzi, love it!)

I am aware how easy it is to buy plus size clothing in some parts of the world and that it really shouldn't be difficult to buy something to suit your body type but I promise you, it can be. I am a UK 18/20 (US 14/16) with boobs, I cannot even buy bras in my bra size over here (not for lack of trying, the simply don't offer them and can't even place an order for them - Bravissimo/Pepperberry is my best friend). In German fashion (anything bigger than a UK 12 is plus size) that usually translates into "Please be so kind as to wear this completely shapeless bag that has extra room where you don't need it but is amazingly tight where the extra room is needed, with huge floral/animal/whatever print, in a weird color and the strangest material available." Or, yes, buy at Ulla Popken, which is similarly shapeless and expensive; by just having a quick look at their website I would consider maybe one or two of their evening dresses Cunard formal (the rest would probably wiggle through as a little black dress or A for effort). I agree that there are people out there who don't want to try but I promise that there are many who have simply given up and make do with what they have.

If it wasn't for online shopping / mail order, the only formal dress I would have would be my wedding gown. But I have the advantage of speaking English (which many Germans, especially in the Cunard target group, don't and there were many on board that hardly spoke any English at all), having a Credit Card (which many Germans 60+ don't, though I assume most that cruise would have) and not being scared of online shopping abroad (and paying shipping, import duties or taxes respectively). Many people in my mom's generation don't even do ebay, because they don't trust it. If the next plus size store is a two hour train ride away (as in my case, I live in a "thin" city - no joke, unfortunately) you can be out of luck. Especially if you want to spend money on something you actually want to wear and not just buy to fit a dress code.

However, of course just because I didn't see more than a hand full of people who were not dressed appropriately during the cruise that of course doesn't mean they were not there. It just means I didn't see them. Everybody I saw (except for the women who returned back to their cabins on the last formal night) did at least try, even if they didn't manage to pull it off. Now, some men shouldn't be wearing shorts ever and sandals should never be worn with white sports socks but that's a totally different story :D

Especially if you want to spend money on something you actually want to wear and not just buy to fit a dress code.

Thats a great and very valid statement. If you wear something simply to conform to the dress code....but don't feel great wearing it....it defeats the purpose. I saw one very large lady wearing a loose, flowing, black kaftan and she looked wonderfully elegant. The kaftan was something I would have chosen to wear to the beach......but she had added jewelery, an evening bag and it worked beautifully as formal wear. It's not always about the dress code....personal style can go a long way. :)