Need advice on sneaking away from girlfriend to make plans

psk2347

She loves getting her nails done, so I think I will set her up for a manicure. This is her first cruise so I could always make something by saying I need to go to guest services to get passes for the dining room or something stupid. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Passes for the dining room......that's funny!! :D

If you're driving to the port say you forgot something in the car, and you'll be right back. If you flew say you left your wallet at the check in counter and need to go get it while she settles in.

I'm with the other ladies that would already have gotten mani/pedis done within a few days of departure. I think the go to guest services for something or run pick up something from the shop (forgot a razor, toothbrush, etc) would be your best bet.

You know whether your lady does the nail thing regularly. If she dies, bad idea! She'll already have fresh nails. If she doesn't, it's perfect!

I think that the mani/pedi is the best idea. No harm in telling her that you booked this for her in advance so that she doesn't get it done herself. Just print out a certificate and give it as a bon voyage gift. If her mom (or your mom) is in on the surprise, you could have her give the mani/pedi as a bon voyage gift.

My best advice is not to make it too complicated. The surprise aspect is just the 'icing'. Don't let worrying about the icing ruin the cake! Focus on the heartfelt sentiment - that's what she'll remember! Sounds like it's going to be a very special evening! Congratulations!

I would not use the suggestion of flying off the handle on something trivial. She and others that hear you would think you're a jerk.

FYI on some other suggestions. They no longer leave chocolates. And those were left during the turndown service which is when they leave the towel animals. The gym is usually not open the first afternoon. Saying you feel sick could backfire and you could be booted off the ship.

Have you considered proposing the second night so you'll have time to make your plans?

Yes! I didn't think of that. And if she would normally get them done before hand, just tell her to wait till you are on the ship so she can have a spa experience.

If it's her first cruise she's probably not going to want to be abandoned somewhere. On our first cruise together DH and I stuck pretty close to each other most of the time. But if it's her first cruise then she's likely to believe any of the flimsy excuses offered here. :) I say park her butt at the salon. She's not going to go anywhere looking for you with wet nails.

She is an introvert for sure, and she will be very nervous so I doubt I will be able to abandon her to take a walk. She will want to come everywhere with me unless she is at the spa or something.

I would not use the suggestion of flying off the handle on something trivial. She and others that hear you would think you're a jerk.

FYI on some other suggestions. They no longer leave chocolates. And those were left during the turndown service which is when they leave the towel animals. The gym is usually not open the first afternoon. Saying you feel sick could backfire and you could be booted off the ship.

Have you considered proposing the second night so you'll have time to make your plans?

The second night is actually my birthday, which is how I booked the cruise with her having no idea that I am up to something.

She is an introvert for sure, and she will be very nervous so I doubt I will be able to abandon her to take a walk. She will want to come everywhere with me unless she is at the spa or something.

Drugging idea sounds better and better. ;):D

I am going with the manicure idea, and having my mom "give" it to her as a gift. Its the only sure thing that will work! Thanks again for the advice everyone. If I remember I will post the story and pictures of everything once it happens. Only 51 days till we sail on the Sunshine!

wouldn't do the manicure because she might catch on. 'Does he want my fingers looking good for a surprise etc.?" "He never gets me a manicure on land" I Would go to cabin to unpack and act like I lost my cabin/key. Tell her to stay there just encase the steward comes by. Then go handle your errands! Come back with key in your hand smiling "OOPS it was in my back pocket the whole time!!"

wouldn't do the manicure because she might catch on. 'Does he want my fingers looking good for a surprise etc.?" "He never gets me a manicure on land" I Would go to cabin to unpack and act like I lost my cabin/key. Tell her to stay there just encase the steward comes by. Then go handle your errands! Come back with key in your hand smiling "OOPS it was in my back pocket the whole time!!"

I actually do buy her manicures all the times. Lol. I am going to have my mom give it to her as a gift so she doesn't suspect anything.

First off- Good luck and have fun! My now husband proposed to me on our first cruise together on our balcony the first night and it was beautiful! I hope that your engagement goes perfectly!

I Love the mani idea, its a great way for you to get everything set up, if that doesnt work heres my next suggestion:

I am a little bit of an intorvert myself, so you could tell her to relax in the room while you go and get her a pre-dinner snack and drink. The first day on a cruise ship is a little overwhelming and I am sure that she wouldnt argue a few minutes to sit in the cabin and relax. If it takes too long to do this tell her there were long lines, or your left your room key card and had to double back to the bar to get it.

Either way have an amazing time!

How about hanging out by pool or a bar and then saying your stomach is bothering you? My dh could easily be gone 30 minutes and no way would I want to go back to the cabin with him lol

Congratulations!

If your luggage comes early enough, you can suggest unpacking, then volunteer to run down to the bar or buffet for a couple of drinks/snacks. Then when it takes too long to get back to your cabin, you can claim you got lost. Good luck with the surprise. Hope you have a great cruise.

What about treating her to a massage in the spa since you are unsure if she will want her nails done? That should take a while.

Plus, even if she's done before you, if you are out of the cabin she likely won't know where to find you and you can just said you were "out exploring and walking around"

I say manicure if her nails are not done. Then they will be pretty for any pictures of the ring on her finger. If she gets mani pedi before hand when you get to room suggest she unpack while you go and get some snacks/drinks. Just mention it's a little chaotic on lido on embarkatiin day so you'll bring food back to the room so you can unpack and have a snack before muster drill. Just don't forget to come back with food after talking to the manager. ....

Tell her that you're planning on proposing to her and that you need to make some final arrangements. She'll think you're joking and you don't have to lie to her. Honesty is the best policy. ;-)

Best.Answer.Yet