Help me pick an Alaskan Cruise

kathy884

My question are you planning for Aug this year or next. Keep in mind that the most desirable cabins and cruises get book very early. Most people book Alaska about 6 months ahead not just weeks.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

I'm looking at Aug. 2016. I like vacation planning and tend to look at options and figure out what we want to do about a year in advance and then book when it seems most appropriate. I did see (especially for the land/sea combos and the balcony cruise options that much is sold out for this summer.)

This year our family summer vacation is land based and to Estes Park / Rocky Mountain National Park..

To all of this good advice I would add this about 'getting to' your cruise.

Many say that flying>shuttling to Vancouver through Seattle is a good thing. I am sure this 'can' be true.

However, in our case, when we factored in the shuttle costs, extra hotel costs, etc....Vancouver won. Indeed, a companion of ours flew to Seattle and shuttled to Vancouver. An advertised trip of four hours actually took eight due to bad traffic, border backups and construction.

So, if you purchase your flights early, while there are still lower cost seats available, you will have a good chance of being successful with this.

In any case, use http://matrix.itasoftware.com to search for your flights. Use the "multi city" option. You cannot buy tickets here, but it will show you a plethora of choices and fares.

Kathy..thank you for starting this thread...we have cruised for many years but have never done Alaska...one reason being dh does not like to fly..but he has agreed to fly next year:D Another reason...just cannot figure out which cruise to do and what port to sail from....

I have sailed out of Vancouver twice...on repositionings.... first time flew into Seattle and booked Amtrak to Vancouver...due to track work ended up on the bus...albeit a nice one with snacks...comfy seats..and the trip was right on time...but last year I got a great flight from NC thru Minneapolis to Vancouver...so it was actually easier than going thru Seattle...

Due to this thread I have actually been able to make a few decisions as to what we want to do...first one being sailing out of Vancouver...dh has been there once and loved it...so my goal is to make him happy as he has agreed to get on a plane...LOL...

my next research project is difference in weather from mid to late August to last cruise in September....anyone have any advice on this?

Again thanks to the OP and to all the great suggestions on this thread:)

Kathy..thank you for starting this thread...we have cruised for many years but have never done Alaska...one reason being dh does not like to fly..but he has agreed to fly next year:D Another reason...just cannot figure out which cruise to do and what port to sail from....

I have sailed out of Vancouver twice...on repositionings.... first time flew into Seattle and booked Amtrak to Vancouver...due to track work ended up on the bus...albeit a nice one with snacks...comfy seats..and the trip was right on time...but last year I got a great flight from NC thru Minneapolis to Vancouver...so it was actually easier than going thru Seattle...

Due to this thread I have actually been able to make a few decisions as to what we want to do...first one being sailing out of Vancouver...dh has been there once and loved it...so my goal is to make him happy as he has agreed to get on a plane...LOL...

my next research project is difference in weather from mid to late August to last cruise in September....anyone have any advice on this?

Again thanks to the OP and to all the great suggestions on this thread:)

If you can afford it go in mid August. Sept weather can be on the iffy side. Some excursions and stores close in mid Sept due to less ships coming.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app