Paradise Cove in Freeport- need advice

My family and I want to snorkel while in Freeport. Carnival has this excursion listed for $79 per person. To compare I went to paradise cove 's website and it has snorkeling, transportation included for $35 per person. Everything seems to be the same, but for my peace of mind I would rather book through Carnival. I think I can fill out the price match guarantee form and get the difference as OBC. Has anyone done this and actually got the price difference back from Carnival?

I would love to know as well! My cruise is in July, I may book on carnival and submit the price match form. If they don't match it, I could cancel the Carnival excursion and book direct.

I booked the $35 excursion through the outside company. I'll let you know how it goes. Our cruise leaves on 6/15. We usually don't book through Carnival as it normally costs way more than booking directly through one of the local companies.

oh no! i was hoping paradise cove would never hook up with carnival... that may just ruin my favorite excursion in freeport :mad:

my group has been twice, booked directly through the deadmansreef.com web site. to clarify that is not a third party website, that is the owner's website, and in fact i've spoken with him directly... i'd have no reservations about booking direct.

the only thing i could think on the price match is if they've signed up with carnival, they may not allow carnival passengers to book with them independently - that's speculation on my part but i've seen this with other excursions offered both independently and by carnival - and that's part of why i'm not happy to hear this!

anyhow, if you can, i wouldn't worry about booking direct, if they don't price match. they're a pleasure to work with!

oh no! i was hoping paradise cove would never hook up with carnival... that may just ruin my favorite excursion in freeport :mad:

my group has been twice, booked directly through the deadmansreef.com web site. to clarify that is not a third party website, that is the owner's website, and in fact i've spoken with him directly... i'd have no reservations about booking direct.

the only thing i could think on the price match is if they've signed up with carnival, they may not allow carnival passengers to book with them independently - that's speculation on my part but i've seen this with other excursions offered both independently and by carnival - and that's part of why i'm not happy to hear this!

anyhow, if you can, i wouldn't worry about booking direct, if they don't price match. they're a pleasure to work with!

Thank you for your feedback! In looking closer, the two excursions are not an exact match. Paradise cove lists 2, 4, and 6 hour trips and Carnival lists 2.5 hours. And only Carnival's site promises a chair on the beach. Little details that will probably allow Carnival to deny a price match.

Thank you for your feedback! In looking closer, the two excursions are not an exact match. Paradise cove lists 2, 4, and 6 hour trips and Carnival lists 2.5 hours. And only Carnival's site promises a chair on the beach. Little details that will probably allow Carnival to deny a price match.

yes, little details like that are definitely grounds for carnival to deny a price match.

the tour we've booked twice includes transportation, snorkeling OR kayaking, and runs from basically their first pickup (i want to say that was 8-8.30ish), to 'whenever you want to go back', and they run their own vans back and forth. it did NOT include a beach chair, but if someone didn't want to snorkel they would give that instead. i want to say we've stayed on average 4 hrs or so.

having done it already, twice, i wouldn't book through carnival for twice the price. they're one of the best independent operators i've worked with - very responsive via email, very accommodating - even for our group of 13 on our last cruise. i don't have anything bad to say about paradise cove, the owner (barry), staff or the experience, and in fact i will always go back whenever i'm in freeport... best snorkeling in the bahamas (sure it's not known for great snorkeling, but this is a great swim from the beach location) and it's a well run operation.

ETA: the first time we went in 2009 - my group pretty much had the beach to ourselves - as in less than 20 people there total... the last time, in 2014 - there was definitely more people - probably 40-50? like i said i always hoped they wouldn't hook up with carnival, only because now it will probably be more crowded. i knew i shouldn't have (as i just did above) sing it's praises so highly lol

Edited by falkcor

Very sad to hear Carnival getting in on the game - I'd be trying to figure out how "avoid" their group's 2.5 hour window!

We were very happy with the independent excursion offered by the owner - good value, nice driver, never once felt concerned about getting back. The van went back multiple times. I remember we rented an umbrella (dirt cheap) but ended up never using it.

The reef there was awesome. Baracudas, turtles, huge stingrays...Grand Turk snorkeling ended up being a big disappointment in comparison on our next cruise. Course that's just the luck of the draw sometimes.

Bobblefrog and falkcor,

We've booked thru deadmaanscove.com for our July cruise. I agree the pre-cruise response from Barry has been exceptional. My husband wants to snorkel. I just want to "beach it". I really want to go into the water but have heard the bottom is slimy and rocky, Has that been your experience? I was hoping for a couple of "openings" in the rocks to just walk out to waist or chest height!

Bobblefrog and falkcor,

We've booked thru deadmaanscove.com for our July cruise. I agree the pre-cruise response from Barry has been exceptional. My husband wants to snorkel. I just want to "beach it". I really want to go into the water but have heard the bottom is slimy and rocky, Has that been your experience? I was hoping for a couple of "openings" in the rocks to just walk out to waist or chest height!

i'd have to say no to that... but i wasn't looking for 'openings'... what i'd say your best bet would be, is to follow where the snorkel groups go out - that would be the closest to an 'opening' i think you'd find, because the people going back and forth every day surely have made a bit of a 'path' per se.

it's not that the bottom is slimy and rocky, instead there is just a lot of natural coral growth in that area, which in fact paradise cove promotes with their coral balls and such... just as a visual - and this is from a little further out:

10-sea-fans.jpg

that's what a lot of the sea floor looks like in the general area, although not as developed / big closer to shore.

you could swim out and tread water and such, but you're not supposed to (or would want to!) step on the coral.

now i may be wrong because again i wasn't looking for a wading to the waist type of spot, but in my experience i haven't seen it.

the snorkeling is great though:

37-coral.jpg

23-fish.jpg

11-spotted-eagle-ray.jpg

Thanks for all the replys! I actually sent an email through the website asking for the duration but have not received a reply yet. So you can leave at any time you wan To? You don't have to wait for your specific time?

Thanks for all the replys! I actually sent an email through the website asking for the duration but have not received a reply yet. So you can leave at any time you wan To? You don't have to wait for your specific time?

yeah i think the 2-4-6 hr durations are a 'guideline' and probably for when they're not busy. but when they have a reasonable amount of people for the van to go back (they wouldn't probably run just one person), they just keep going back and forth. typically, when you're ready to go, so will others be!

I don't (can't swim that far!) want to go out to the snorkeling area just to walk out far enough to "get wet". Some of the reviews make it sound like it's so rocky and/or slimy you can't walk out!

Funincrusing,

I must have deleted my email conversation with Barry, the owner. If I remember correctly he said the shuttles start going back to the port starting at 11:30-12:00 and every hour after that. You don't pay till you get to Paradise Cove. I said I didn't want to snorkel. He said when you arrive you tell them that and you get (if I remember correctly) a chair, umbrella, and a drink instead of snorkel equipment. Also, my husband has his own snorkel gear, I think Barry said he can get the use of a kayak for an hour instead. My confirmation email said the be at the Ministry of Tourism kiosk at the pier at 9AM or an hour after the ship arrives. It also said if other tours are cancelled due to weather/rough seas still come to meeting point. Because it is in a cove snorkeling can be done there when other areas can't. What ship and date will you be in Freeport?

We went out to Deadman's Cove several years ago. Loved it. I found that the initial entry to the water was rocky, but once past that it was great. I like to snorkel from the beach and this was perfect for me. As for transportation, they announced via loudspeaker when the shuttles were leaving for the port area. We were back in plenty of time for sailing.

We leave on June 13th so I believe we will be in Freeport on the 16th. Ok now I don't know if I will book this one slipping on the rocks makes me nervous. My husband and kids love going in the water, but I get a little anxious maybe I will just do the beach getaway instead... I just can't make a decision and now I am running out of time :(

We leave on June 13th so I believe we will be in Freeport on the 16th. Ok now I don't know if I will book this one slipping on the rocks makes me nervous. My husband and kids love going in the water, but I get a little anxious maybe I will just do the beach getaway instead... I just can't make a decision and now I am running out of time :(

There are sandy areas right off the beach (sort of left if facing the water if I remember correctly), but it doesn't get very deep. So it's not rocky to the edge. I remember some smaller kids splashing and there was a smaller stingray that came up that far that a group was watching. I could be wrong, maybe someone else can remind me, but couldn't you rent "boogie board" style floats that let you float out if you are not in fins?

We are on the Pride and will be in port from 7-1, would there be any concerns doing this excursion with such an early departure time?
We were on Pride when we went to Deadman's Cove. Our sailing time was slightly different (1:30 rather than 1:00), but I think you should be able get there and back with time to enjoy the snorkeling. It's about a 20-minute ride from the dock so if they pick you up around 8:00 you should be able to have a couple of hours at the beach. If you're concerned about the timing you might want to contact Barry at Deadman's Cove to ask what time they run the return shuttle.

We dealt with Barry at Deadman's Reef and had a great time. We were on Pride May 3rd thru 10th and were in Freeport 7-1. No problems at all. They picked us up at the dock at 8:00 and it was a 20 minute ride. My DH and I decided to hang on the beach. Free chairs and a free drink. We were the only ones on the beach until the Carnival group came. Barry double checked with us to make sure we did want to snorkel along with the Carnival group. They snorkeled about 2 hrs. When they came back they left right away. We layed out and ate till 12:00 and were back at the ship by 12:20. Great time......and only 35.00 pp vs Carnival's 79.00.

To everyone who has been to paradise cove: do you think 3 16 yeAr olds would enjoy this place?

yes, i think they'd love it. as noted, you can swim right from the beach and be snorkeling in no time. if snorkeling's not their thing (though i don't know any 16 year olds that wouldn't enjoy that!) then they can kayak. paradise cove has appealed to everyone in our group(s) from toddlers to seniors.

yes, i think they'd love it. as noted, you can swim right from the beach and be snorkeling in no time. if snorkeling's not their thing (though i don't know any 16 year olds that wouldn't enjoy that!) then they can kayak. paradise cove has appealed to everyone in our group(s) from toddlers to seniors.

Can you snorkel from the beach? We all have our own gear, so I'm assuming they'd rather do kayak and snorkel from the beach...is there anything else to rent?

Can you snorkel from the beach? We all have our own gear, so I'm assuming they'd rather do kayak and snorkel from the beach...is there anything else to rent?

yes, you can snorkel from the beach. you literally walk out, and start swimming, and there's coral and fish to see immediately... you swim out a little further to the 'deadman's reef', and that's where it really takes off! it's not very far (16 year olds should be able to do this with no problem), and there's deeper water with coral reefs, fish of all types, sting rays, etc.

here's a picture that kind of illustrates what i mean:

307578_a3b99492b3d44601bad0aec0880b7331.png_srz_p_441_246_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srz

see the reef right off shore?

they do have more stuff to rent - they also have paddle boats, 'sub trek' snuba type equipment, etc. look at their web site for more:

http://www.deadmansreef.com/#!freeport-bahamas-things-to-do/cvau

there are even videos there...

that said, i think you'd be perfectly fine signing up for kayaking, then using your own gear to snorkel. sure there's more to rent, but you'll still have a great time IMO if you pick one or the other, or in your case both for the same price.

yes, you can snorkel from the beach. you literally walk out, and start swimming, and there's coral and fish to see immediately... you swim out a little further to the 'deadman's reef', and that's where it really takes off! it's not very far (16 year olds should be able to do this with no problem), and there's deeper water with coral reefs, fish of all types, sting rays, etc.

here's a picture that kind of illustrates what i mean:

307578_a3b99492b3d44601bad0aec0880b7331.png_srz_p_441_246_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srz

see the reef right off shore?

they do have more stuff to rent - they also have paddle boats, 'sub trek' snuba type equipment, etc. look at their web site for more:

http://www.deadmansreef.com/#!freeport-bahamas-things-to-do/cvau

there are even videos there...

that said, i think you'd be perfectly fine signing up for kayaking, then using your own gear to snorkel. sure there's more to rent, but you'll still have a great time IMO if you pick one or the other, or in your case both for the same price.

Thanks!!!