Portofino and Florence

Haven't been to Portofino, but in Florence we had a very good lunch and while I can't remember the price I know it was very reasonable. There will be loads of restaurants so you will be able to choose how much you want to pay. Also you won't need to eat much, you'll be getting fed again the minute you get back on the ship!:rolleyes::D

If our experience of Florence is anything to go by when buying Icecream, I'd say take note of prices before ordering. We got caught out and paid €20 for two icecreams(!) from a takeaway place on the corner of the Square where the (reproduction) statue of David is located - by the Uffizi. We also paid through the nose for drinks at a very ordinary cafe near the Duomo. I think trying places just off the main tourist attractions would be better value.

We were recommended by our excursion guide to the roof top terrace restaurant /cafe at a department store called Rinascente which is opposite the Piazza della Repubblica. It has great views across the city - you could see the dome of the church - and whilst we only had a drink and perhaps a pastry we came away with very positive impressions so I can't think we'd been ripped off as I'm sure I'd have remembered that. I can't comment on the quality and choice of food but perhaps it's worth checking if you can find reviews or more info on it. It's a great place for a drink anyway and there are free toilets in the store too. We'd definitely head for there again if we were in Florence.

We were recommended by our excursion guide to the roof top terrace restaurant /cafe at a department store called Rinascente which is opposite the Piazza della Repubblica. It has great views across the city - you could see the dome of the church - and whilst we only had a drink and perhaps a pastry we came away with very positive impressions so I can't think we'd been ripped off as I'm sure I'd have remembered that. I can't comment on the quality and choice of food but perhaps it's worth checking if you can find reviews or more info on it. It's a great place for a drink anyway and there are free toilets in the store too. We'd definitely head for there again if we were in Florence.

Department store rooftops are often the best places for a drink and a view. Can highly recommend the café on the 9th floor of the El Corte Ingles store at Plaza Cataluña in Barcelona for anyone stopping there on a cruise - good/well priced coffee and a 360 degree view over the rooftops of the city and down to the sea. Used to love the view from the rooftop café of Samaritaine in Paris but I hear that this sadly closed down several years ago.

We paid 14 euros for 2 large glasses of Chianti reserva in Florence. I noticed that the local speciality of a huge t bone steak with sauce, salad and chips with glass of wine was 50 Euro for 2 in the main square but 35 just round the corner.