Classic drinks package contents downgraded?

bogofman

I noticed today the all inclusive drinks promo is back on again(UK web site) for 2015 cruises,

however now with 3 options

port hole get select package ( this is new)

balcony get classic

aqua and above get premium.

It looks like they have changed what is in the classic package , as there is no mention of cocktails, only spirits upto $8, wine $9 and beer $7

The premium does mention cocktails.

Can anyone who is currently or recently returning confirm if the classic package has been watered down from what it was ( last year or when I booked in Feb as it did mention cocktails back then)

I always thought that you could have any drink with basic spirits that could made for up to $8. I always just asked "can you make me a ......." (assuming the barman could vary the size of the drink), within the classic package and the response was always yes. That was in December though. I'd certainly be interested in knowing if things have changed as we're off again in November this year.

I noticed today the all inclusive drinks promo is back on again(UK web site) for 2015 cruises,

however now with 3 options

port hole get select package ( this is new)

balcony get classic

aqua and above get premium.

It looks like they have changed what is in the classic package , as there is no mention of cocktails, only spirits upto $8, wine $9 and beer $7

The premium does mention cocktails.

Can anyone who is currently or recently returning confirm if the classic package has been watered down from what it was ( last year or when I booked in Feb as it did mention cocktails back then)

Classic package allows you to have cocktails with the liquor brands that are allowed in the package. I was on the Summit last month, and we had no problem getting any cocktails we wanted, as long as we didn't ask for a premium brand.

Pretty much any cocktail you can think of is available in classic.

Just off the Constellation you could get regular sized Martinis at bars other than the Martini Bar. The martinis served at the Martini Bar are larger and not included in the classic package.

On our cruise the you could order a small martini - choice of Appletini, cosmopolitan or regular martini onmy and they were covered by the Classic package.

Classic package allows you to have cocktails with the liquor brands that are allowed in the package. I was on the Summit last month, and we had no problem getting any cocktails we wanted, as long as we didn't ask for a premium brand. Pretty much any cocktail you can think of is available in classic.

Word to the wise #1 > get the 'approved' classic-bev liquor list from Guest Relations for your sailing (done this on last 2 trips and carried list around in case a bar tender didn't know that a liquor I requested was included as classic). If later you want a margarita or whiskey sour, etc. at a bar, then ask (knowing your classic list)for a Cuervo Margarita or a Jack Daniels whiskey sour or a Beefeater's Gin tonic.

If you just order a margarita, sour, Gin&T you may get the 'house brand' ingredients.

Word to the Wise #2 > I later upgrade to premium (they say there must be 6 days left in cruise to permit) but after a call to bev mgr they let me upgrade with 4 days left (recent 11-day trip). Then I would order a Patron and Cointreau margarita or Woodford Reserve W-sour to get all top-shelf ingredients. ENJOY!

Edited by greydog

Just off the Equinox on Tuesday. Had classic pkg and pretty much got any cocktail we wanted, but no Martinis.

You can get martinis made with any of the classic brands, except at the Martini Bar. NONE of the drinks at the Martini bar are in the classic because they are all BIGGER drinks.

You can get a martini (with the classic package) at any other bar on the ship.

Word to the wise #1 > get the 'approved' classic-bev liquor list from Guest Relations for your sailing (done this on last 2 trips and carried list around in case a bar tender didn't know that a liquor I requested was included as classic). If later you want a margarita or whiskey sour, etc. at a bar, then ask (knowing your classic list)for a Cuervo Margarita or a Jack Daniels whiskey sour or a Beefeater's Gin tonic.

If you just order a margarita, sour, Gin&T you may get the 'house brand' ingredients.

Thanks for that. I didn't know a list was available at Guest Services. I will do that next time 😎

My understanding, at it could well be wrong or out of date, is that drinks are included in the classic (or premium) drink package based on price....and the list of brands are examples...not the only brands you can order or be served.

Has this changed? If you believe it has...please give specifics on why you know it's changed.

My understanding, at it could well be wrong or out of date, is that drinks are included in the classic (or premium) drink package based on price....and the list of brands are examples...not the only brands you can order or be served.

Has this changed? If you believe it has...please give specifics on why you know it's changed.

You are correct. The price of the drink is the key factor. HOWEVER, the price of the drink will generally be within the classic price limit if you don't ask for PREMIUM liquor brands.

There are a few drinks on the specialty drink menus that include some extra flavorings - like a Mango Mojito. While the regular mojito is covered in classic, I was told the Mango Mojito (and all special flavored mojitos) are not in classic.

This is also up for debate since I ordered a Mango Mojito once, and was told it was on the classic, but then when I tried to order it the next day, I was told (at the same bar) that it wasn't included.

You will see on the menus that there are all kinds of specialty drinks with higher prices. Many are that way because they specifically call for a premium brand.

You can order just about anything from a martini to a mudslide to a tequila sunrise to a baileys on the rocks - all on the classic package.

Edited by DinaS
Hit "post" too soon :)

Thanks for that. I didn't know a list was available at Guest Services. I will do that next time 😎

One time they had a copy for me to keep, another time no takeaway copy (could have asked for copying I guess) but I could review the desk copy and confirm the couple brands I was interested in.

With my 'classic' pkg I wanted margaritas using 100% Agave tequila (J Cuervo is 50% agave, referred to as a 'mixto' - its label says 'made with Agave'). 100% agave Cazadores (and Camarena) are listed on 'classic list'.

Next issue was finding that many bars did not stock them on their shelf. After checking 5 different bars, I politely asked Guest Rel which bars had those brands stocked. They had the bev mgr call me next day apologizing, saying those brands would be distributed. Who knew cruising could be so so much effort? ;) HAPPY CRUISING

The lists may well be wasted on me as I'm not a big drinker. Two alcoholic drinks in one night is a big night for me at home and I'm not a regular drinker. I do enjoy cocktails on holiday though. I do enjoy a malt whisky ocassionally and one blend whisky is just as bad as any other to me! I imagine the same applies to other spirits.

One time they had a copy for me to keep, another time no takeaway copy (could have asked for copying I guess) but I could review the desk copy and confirm the couple brands I was interested in.

With my 'classic' pkg I wanted margaritas using 100% Agave tequila (J Cuervo is 50% agave, referred to as a 'mixto' - its label says 'made with Agave'). 100% agave Cazadores (and Camarena) are listed on 'classic list'.

Next issue was finding that many bars did not stock them on their shelf. After checking 5 different bars, I politely asked Guest Rel which bars had those brands stocked. They had the bev mgr call me next day apologizing, saying those brands would be distributed. Who knew cruising could be so so much effort? ;) HAPPY CRUISING

Ha! I love it! Last cruise in March, we had to go bar to bar to find specific kinds of wine (Pino Grigio, Sauvivnon blanc etc) that were by the glass--the bars were not well-stocked at all! I put up with it the first day (because they might not have had time to move stock from loading area to bars) but after that I politely told the bartender that I had paid for a premium bar package and I would like a glass of Sauvignon blanc..if they didn't have my 1st choice (Clifford Bay), I would be happy with one from the 5000 bottle wine cellar in the dining room! Well, in every case, someone went and found some Sauvignon blanc!

I'm not sure what the problem with restocking was...certainly it appeared most people had packages...I didn't see many people signing the receipt...perhaps they are going through bottles quicker as a result.

I'm sure this thread will continue to devolve out of control as people continue to comment without fully understanding what the OP was inquiring about. At first, I was hesitant to believe there could be 3 different offerings, but once I migrated over to the UK version of the Celebrity Cruises website, I found this information on special offerings on "All Inclusive" holidays.

https://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/cruise-deals/all-inclusive-offer

Indeed, there are 3 different levels of offerings based on the category of stateroom that is booked. Not sure any of us from the USA can properly assess the distinctions between the "Select" package and the "Classic" package. To me, the "Select" package looks like a watered down version of the "Classic" package, but better than nothing at all.

I'm sure this thread will continue to devolve out of control as people continue to comment without fully understanding what the OP was inquiring about. At first, I was hesitant to believe there could be 3 different offerings, but once I migrated over to the UK version of the Celebrity Cruises website, I found this information on special offerings on "All Inclusive" holidays.

https://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/cruise-deals/all-inclusive-offer

Indeed, there are 3 different levels of offerings based on the category of stateroom that is booked. Not sure any of us from the USA can properly assess the distinctions between the "Select" package and the "Classic" package. To me, the "Select" package looks like a watered down version of the "Classic" package, but better than nothing at all.

one has to wonder if the celebrity folks on all the ships will know the difference between select and classic, if they even recognize that there is a select level at all.

Edited by ghstudio

I have seen the more comprehensive list of classic vs. premium beverages from Celebrity's website. I understand the $8 price limit applies. I have always understood that the liquor brands listed in the classic pkg would conform to the $8 limit.

Based on my Dec'14, May '15 cruises the 'Classic' list provided on request from Guest Relations on those sailings was not as comprehensive. It may be a closer match for brands of whiskies than tequilas, for example.

I believe this is due somewhat to ship's storage capacity, sailing region's drink volume preferences (umbrella drinks in Alaska?), vendor supplies, etc. So the website's list may be the 'global' list while your sailing's classic list is a 80-90%? subset of brands available in stock now on this sailing.

For example, try getting Alaska Amber beer (website classic list) on a Caribbean sailing. Camarena tequila was on website list but not on my sailings availability list.

When I ordered a Cazadores margarita, one bartender told me it wasn't on my classic pkg until I showed him the list I picked up from Guest Relations. I wish I had kept my sailing's classic list to demonstrate.

I don't think there is any shocking news here except maybe that not 100% of entire X website's list of brands under 'classic' is available 100% of the time on every X sailing. Just saying that your sailing's classic list is operative. HAPPY CRUISING

I can imagine that the introduction of the "Select" package allows them to offer something at a lower price point now that the price of the Classic has gone up. I envision that might be the option included as a promo in the future.

Maybe they are seeing how it flies with the UK passengers first!

So is Celebrity then adding another drink package - the Select Package to their offerings? The bartenders are confused and over worked enough without adding more fuel to the fire.

What a cluster! C'mon Celebrity, people are confused enough!

Is this available to U.S. customers? It is only on the U.K website?

The 3 drinks packages are available for the full range of cruises not just those out of the UK, so I would imagine it must be applied to all regions when booking,

I wonder if the cards will have one off 3 different codes?

It's going to be confusing for the bar staff.

I don't see anywhere the price of purchasing a select package only getting it included, maybe this will become standard included package for all, with an upgrade option?