Hiking boots

michelle1836

Doing a couple of excursions with hikes (one about 2 miles) and wondering if hiking boots are absolutely necessary. I have a pair but my friends don't. is it worth taking up space and weight in you luggage? will sneakers be fine?

thanks

Doing a couple of excursions with hikes (one about 2 miles) and wondering if hiking boots are absolutely necessary. I have a pair but my friends don't. is it worth taking up space and weight in you luggage? will sneakers be fine?

thanks

When we go to AK, we leave the sneakers at home and wear our boots all the time. If you have the newer ones that are lightweight and comfortable that is a good compromise. If you don't want to do that sneakers will work.

If you're hiking on trails, comfortable is better than heavy-duty - sneakers will work just fine. That said, ankle support is always a good idea so if your friends have time to pick up a pair of light boots (the ones made of similar materials to sneakers rather than traditional leather really don't need any breaking in) it's not going to do them any harm - and if those are what you wear on the plane there's no extra weight/space taken up in your luggage...

You don't mention how old you are, but I find that my teen/young adult children do fine in sneakers in places where this old lady needs boots, or at least hiking shoes. Last summer we hiked to Yakutania Point and Smugglers cove in Skagway. The kids (15, 18, 18, 21) all wore sneakers, as did my husband (early 50s) but I wore low hikers. I have a bad back and weak ankles and knees, and I have high arches that complain if I walk a lot in bad shoes. My daughter wore Converse with no issues, but those would have killed my feet!

What does everyone wear when hiking at home?

No, you do not need hiking boots for the type of excursion you describe. However there are some inexpensive, low cut hiking shoes available thru LL Bean, discount shoes stores like Famous Footwear and alike which you may want to consider. In the end you will be just fine with decent sneakers that have been sprayed several time with waterproofing.

You don't mention how old you are, but I find that my teen/young adult children do fine in sneakers in places where this old lady needs boots, or at least hiking shoes. Last summer we hiked to Yakutania Point and Smugglers cove in Skagway. The kids (15, 18, 18, 21) all wore sneakers, as did my husband (early 50s) but I wore low hikers. I have a bad back and weak ankles and knees, and I have high arches that complain if I walk a lot in bad shoes. My daughter wore Converse with no issues, but those would have killed my feet!

What does everyone wear when hiking at home?

hiking at home?? LOL we are late 40's and in fairly good condition.

I will pass on all your information to the others and I think I will look at getting some of those low light weight waterproof shoes.

thanks for everyones help!

I walk all over Alaska and have done many trails, including down Mt Roberts, Mendenhall East Loop. I've never had hiking boots. My walking shoes are the only shoes I wear, which suits my walking fine.

Is your hiking with a ship tour? Usually these are quite tame and easy for most people.

If you disclose where you are hiking, there could be additional recommendations.

I live here, Unless I am on an extended camping or hunting trip in the bush, I never wear hiking boots...I am in my 70's....I wear either sneakers, or a pair of low top Merrils that are waterproof. In the winter, I wear Steger mukluks when I run my dogs...or "bunny boots"....Unless you are hardcore, or have special foot problems, rarely is their a need....Sneakers can be thrown in the laundry if they get muddy or dirty....

I walk all over Alaska and have done many trails, including down Mt Roberts, Mendenhall East Loop. I've never had hiking boots. My walking shoes are the only shoes I wear, which suits my walking fine.

Is your hiking with a ship tour? Usually these are quite tame and easy for most people.

If you disclose where you are hiking, there could be additional recommendations.

ship's tour for both hikes. doing the shorter one in Juneau and the Laughton Glacier hike- 2 miles. nothing too bad I assume

I live here, Unless I am on an extended camping or hunting trip in the bush, I never wear hiking boots...I am in my 70's....I wear either sneakers, or a pair of low top Merrils that are waterproof. In the winter, I wear Steger mukluks when I run my dogs...or "bunny boots"....Unless you are hardcore, or have special foot problems, rarely is their a need....Sneakers can be thrown in the laundry if they get muddy or dirty....

thanks. will definitely check out these walking shoes/merrils!