NO REFUND...Be CAREFUL!!!

kimala

Just want to tell everyone out there considering booking a Carnival cruise to be careful!! This is what just happened to me...

My parents are in a retirement home and are in their mid 80s. My father is 90 % in a wheelchair and requires Oxygen available occasionally. sadly they sleep all the time because they are bored out of their minds ...Anyways out of compassion my husband volunteered to take them on a cruise so they don't feel their life is over. I was so happy and excited to do it for them even though I knew it would be a lot of coordination with the medical needs and everything...I found "special needs @sea..recommended here and saw that it was actually possible!!! I was so happy and encouraged. I called a Carnival rep and she booked us two cabins ones wheelchair accesable and one regular next door on the Paradise 4 day at our closest port Tampa FL. I asked her for the best deal as this was going to be an unforeseen expense for us , we already have vacation plans for later in the year. she suggested the "Early Saver" I even asked if it would be better to elect the senior discount but she insisted the early saver was best. two days later, yesterday, I contacted their Drs Ofc to get the Dr to write a RX a for the Oxygen and received a call back later saying that the Dr was not going to allow my parents to go on the cruise because their health was too bad. I was devastated!!! I wanted to do this for them so badly!! But the bad news had only just begun. when I called the Carnival rep back she said I had purchased the Early Saver and there was NO REFUND!!! The best she could do was charge a cancellation fee of $100 per room and put the other 298 on a future cruise credit...I explained that my parents were not getting any younger and there was not gonna be a future cruise for them...oh, BTW...no transfer policy also!!! I tried to argue the case with the Carnival rep because after all I had just booked two days ago and we had taken the insurance...She called the insurance and they gave her the impression that they would look at it as pre existing and shoot down my claim so my best bet was basically to take the future cruise deal. She claims that she advised me about the no refund policy but if she did Inreally didn't remember that...I feel that under the circumstances Carnival could have made some concession for us...This has left a very bad taste in my mouth and I just want to make everyone aware that they need to make sure they don't have stars in their eyes when they make deals with the Devil, ( Carnival Corporation)

I'm so sorry to hear that!

I have been able to transfer future cruise credits to another name. I had to take my adult son off a cruise and I reused it for myself at a later date. I know it isn't the answer you want but maybe you and your husband can find a way to enjoy a cruise yourselves.

Thanks for the warning, but expect very synonym for non attractive words to follow, making you the villain. I'll say sorry in advance.

...No kidding, I almost wrote Flame away at the end because I know there are cheerleaders out there...And believe me, until this incident I had nothing bad to say about Carnival. Been on two Carnival cruises and had enjoyed them both...I just hate the corporate greed and the non bending policy...it's just wrong.

I also am very sorry about your situation with this. I am not a fan of ES. Have you spoken to anyone beyond the person who booked you? a supervisor? I would keep trying for a better resolution. Good luck, and sorry that your parents are unable to cruise. Mine are getting close to that point too.

Sorry to hear they won't be able to go. That is, unfortunately, the nature of the beast with Early Saver. You were right in not wanting that rate knowing what could happen. I would have #1 - hung up and got a different representative, #2 - got insurance for them. Of course, hindsight is always 20/20.

You can in fact get the credit transferred for an additional fee. We had to cancel an ES rate one time. I would be more than happy to email the form to you if you wish.

I am sorry once again for your frustration and wish your parents well.

I'm so sorry to hear that!

I have been able to transfer future cruise credits to another name. I had to take my adult son off a cruise and I reused it for myself at a later date. I know it isn't the answer you want but maybe you and your husband can find a way to enjoy a cruise yourselves.

...Thanks, I appreciate your kind words. I am probably going to go through the insurance and get our money back hopefully. But even that is iffy and I would think for the cost of the insurance policy $98 for a 4 day cruise there would be no questions asked and that they wouldn't be looking for loopholes to not refund you, but apparently I Would be wrong.

I was going to be snarky and say you should have known better also.

However, does Florida have a law in place (not even sure it would be applicable in this instance) where you have 72 hours from time of purchase to void out any contract purchases.

I think I would be writing a very stiff letter to the chief exec. It was their error in judgement booking the early saver deal for you. Given that you had already explained the circumstances of your parents health. I would be insisting in a full refund. It is them that have cancelled your cruise.

I think I would be writing a very stiff letter to the chief exec. It was their error in judgement booking the early saver deal for you. Given that you had already explained the circumstances of your parents health. I would be insisting in a full refund. It is them that have cancelled your cruise.

It was the parent's doctor that cancelled the cruise.

The restrictions on Early Saver are clear.

Sorry to hear they won't be able to go. That is, unfortunately, the nature of the beast with Early Saver. You were right in not wanting that rate knowing what could happen. I would have #1 - hung up and got a different representative, #2 - got insurance for them. Of course, hindsight is always 20/20.

You can in fact get the credit transferred for an additional fee. We had to cancel an ES rate one time. I would be more than happy to email the form to you if you wish.

I am sorry once again for your frustration and wish your parents well.

thank you that's very kind. My brother who is the POA for our parents affairs might be interested in the credit transfer for himself if we are unable to resolve this any other way.

So the moral to the story is if you are wanting to take elderly people with multiple medical problems on a cruise to check with their doctor to see if it is a good idea before you book.

If you paid the deposit, the future cruise money will be held in your name for future use. The $100 per cabin is the penalty of cancelling early saver.

I highly doubt there would have been a senior rate available when you booked.

If it was a carnival pvp you booked thru, the calls are recorded. Call and ask them to check the recording to see if you were in fact informed of the no refund rule when you booked.

If you were, sorry you did not understand, if you were not, you may have a case or a full refund.

Even though I only cruise Carnival no flaming here. I think it's wonderful that you wanted to give your parents this trip. The only thing I would've done different is to check with the Dr before booking. I know rules are rules but hopefully a transfer can be worked out because of the situation.

Edited by Podna's

I was going to be snarky and say you should have known better also.

However, does Florida have a law in place (not even sure it would be applicable in this instance) where you have 72 hours from time of purchase to void out any contract purchases.

Yes...my husband had the same idea. Looking into that. thanks

In nearly every trip insurance policy, pre-existing conditions are covered if the policy is purchased within 14 days of the initial deposit, so you definitely should be covered for this. I too think you should call Carnival back and ask to speak to a supervisor. Good luck and let us know how this turns out.

...No kidding, I almost wrote Flame away at the end because I know there are cheerleaders out there...And believe me, until this incident I had nothing bad to say about Carnival. Been on two Carnival cruises and had enjoyed them both...I just hate the corporate greed and the non bending policy...it's just wrong.

I just love how when a company follows their clearly posted policies it is called corporate greed.

Maybe you need to understand what you are signing up to before ragging out a company for following their policies.

First of all, I'm sorry! I know how disappointed you must be! :( Is there some other doctor you could talk to about this who might let them take the trip?

Second of all - you bought insurance and they will not cover it? HELLO - isn't that why people buy the insurance in the first place - so if something comes up and you can't travel it is covered? That really pissed me off! :mad:

Thirdly - It is unfortunate and seems like the rep you spoke with when booking wasn't really listening to your needs - if I were you, I would call back and keep going up the chain of command until you speak with someone who can help you - the fact that the rep, knowing your circumstances, still pushed ES on you when you were thinking Senior discount could work in your favor. Good luck to you!

A thought occurred - could you and hubby still go on the cruise and have a good time yourself, then possibly use the credit for the second cabin for a cruise down the line? Then perhaps it wouldn't be such a loss... just a thought.

Just take them anyhow. Who cares what the doctor says. Let them have some fun

One of them requires oxygen though from time to time, and I do believe you need a doctor's requisition for that.

I am not a "Carnival cheerleader" and I'm not going to say that you should have looked into the Early Saver details before you made the purchase (because I think you already know that now). But I will say this: please do not try to make Carnival out as the bad guys simply because they are following their policy. I feel bad for your situation, but the reality is that everyone has a "situation" that they will swear is a bad as yours. Carnival cannot make exceptions for one person, because then they will have to make exceptions for everyone. Anyway, good luck, and I hope that you can find a vacation that your parents can go on. Maybe a land vacation closer to home, for a shorter amount of time.

I am not a "Carnival cheerleader" and I'm not going to say that you should have looked into the Early Saver details before you made the purchase (because I think you already know that now). But I will say this: please do not try to make Carnival out as the bad guys simply because they are following their policy. I feel bad for your situation, but the reality is that everyone has a "situation" that they will swear is a bad as yours. Carnival cannot make exceptions for one person, because then they will have to make exceptions for everyone. Anyway, good luck, and I hope that you can find a vacation that your parents can go on. Maybe a land vacation closer to home, for a shorter amount of time.

good points