Do stores and restaurants in Long Beach close early on the day before Thanksgiving?

HenanSan

We will be flying into LAX on Wednesday, Thanksgiving eve arriving around 12:30 PM. If we take a shuttle to our hotel - Queen Mary, will we have enough time to get to the Walmart on the PassPort route (looks like it is on 6th and Pine)? Do the restaurants, stores and the PassPort system keep regular hours on that day?? I am assuming that if we land around 12:30 we could be at the hotel around 2 PM to drop off our luggage and hopefully get to the other side of the bay for shopping and anything we forgot to pack. We would also want to have dinner somewhere before heading back to the QM. I know Friday everything will be open but I don't want to be in a mad dash crowd for the after Thanksgiving sales.

Leave Walmart before dark. The area is just ok during the day.

The Passport bus stop at the Queen Mary is in the parking lot under the trees. There's usually one or two there all the time as it's used as for the drivers 10 minute break period.

Google 'Long Beach Passport bus for scheduling. Normally it runs all the time.

Leave Walmart before dark. The area is just ok during the day.

The Passport bus stop at the Queen Mary is in the parking lot under the trees. There's usually one or two there all the time as it's used as for the drivers 10 minute break period.

Google 'Long Beach Passport bus for scheduling. Normally it runs all the time.

Here is the website for the Passport bus (free bus): http://www.lbtransit.com/Services/Passport.aspx

I think the only issue you'll have is that LAX will be a zoo the day before Thanksgiving. But once you get to Long Beach, you should be fine. I haven't heard of stores closing early the day before Thanksgiving. Walmart will probably be closed Thanksgiving until they open for Black Friday (I always have avoided being anywhere near a store or a mall on that day unless much later in the day when the bargain shoppers have pooped out). Some restaurants may close for Thanksgiving and others may have a special menu (but one should definitely check and also ask to make a reservation as early as possible the day or two before).

In contrast, many places will close early on December 24.

Walmart will probably be closed Thanksgiving until they open for Black Friday (I always have avoided being anywhere near a store or a mall on that day unless much later in the day when the bargain shoppers have pooped out).

Walmart opens up Thursday night around 8 or 9. Did it once to get a good deal on a camera.

Cruisin' Chick - If you go to the WalMart in Porter Ranch (and probably any other WalMart) on Wednesday before Thanksgiving, you will see blue taped lines on the floor for traffic flow and brown wrapped merchandise in the aisles.

Most Walmarts (and some other "big box" retailers) stayed open all day on Thanksgiving 2014, not just late night for Black Friday. The move sparked a lot negative publicity, petitions on change.org, consumer boycotts, etc. It will be interesting to see what they do this year.

Edited by kenish

Can you tell me generally what stores are located in the City Place Mall? Also, does the Passport stop near these stores on your return pick up?

Use Google Maps Street View to get an idea of what stores are there.

Walmart opens up Thursday night around 8 or 9. Did it once to get a good deal on a camera.

Cruisin' Chick - If you go to the WalMart in Porter Ranch (and probably any other WalMart) on Wednesday before Thanksgiving, you will see blue taped lines on the floor for traffic flow and brown wrapped merchandise in the aisles.

The son of one of my friend's was in the Porter Ranch Walmart when the notorious Black Friday incident happened a few years ago. What gets me is that she didn't get arrested and even threatened to sue Walmart. IMO, if you feel you should shoot off pepper spray in an inside area on people...maybe you shouldn't carry it. And maybe stay away from sales like this (I have never gone to a Black Friday sale...no sales price is worth getting up that early on a holiday for me). Poor judgement on her part, but maybe stores would anticipate the craziness and hand out lottery tickets for shoppers in this kind of case. Then pull numbers to determine who can buy the items.

I don't know the rules for being able to purchase pepper spray nowadays, but back in the 80s, after a secretary was raped in her apartment, the ad agency I worked for called in a company to teach us how and when to use the spray (at this time, a class was required in order to be able to buy and possess it). Then each of us could buy a spray we can attach to our keychain.

maybe stores would anticipate the craziness and hand out lottery tickets for shoppers in this kind of case. Then pull numbers to determine who can buy the items.

Follow the money.....the Black Friday camp-outs and "lotto" atmosphere create a frenzy and sense of urgency. That mood gets people physically into the store and they make spend a lot on impulse buys. A controlled, orderly lottery wouldn't be as lucrative. Big Box retailers (and Southwest Airlines btw) all consult gaming theory and behavioral experts to set things up to maximize profits.

Edited by kenish

Use Google Maps Street View to get an idea of what stores are there.

We are sailing on Saturday and I just wanted to be sure we have the opportunity to get everything we need before then. Friday we want to only get something to eat and not at the QM. So Wednesday is our day of running around before we settle in to wait for our cruise.