Fantasy issues?

mjmalino

Hello, I have a couple questions, first stemming from a review I just read, the remainder being a past cruiser who is about to go on my first Carnival cruise.

First, does anyone know what is going on on th fantasy? I just read a review from someone on it who said that they skippeda port "due to weather" but at the reviewer said she thought there was an engine fire, so they needed to limp back to Charleston. We are supposed to board tomorrow, so I am a bit concerned.

Now, as I stated, we are boarding the Fantasy tomorrow. This will be our 5th cruise (all previous 4 on Princess), but our first on Carnival. Can someone please tell me some of the differences we will encounter, I.e muster drill, food, etc. we are also traveling with our 2 teenagers, so info on CO2 would also be appreciated. Ty.

I highly doubt there was an engine fire, that's a big deal, and cruise critic would have reported it. that has to be reported to the coast guard asap. I'm sure the missed port was due to weather. On the 5 day runs they are close enough that they never have to run the ship at full speed. When I sailed her, I don't think we went over 14 knots the whole time. Sometimes we were going much slower. It seemed like we were crawling along. Being this ship travels slow, due to the short distance it's traveling it could give the impression something is wrong.

I've sailed princess, and carnival, and the fantasy. I prefer the food on carnival, That being said there are things I love about princess, but for the price difference I sail carnival now

Thanks for the input. Does Carnival still do muster drills outside? Want to make sure we have our hats with us if they do. Also, will our cabins be ready upon boarding? Finally, on princess, I have mentioned my kids' birthdays and they have decorated their cabin door and given them cakes, free of charge. Does Carnival do this? The only thing I see on their website is to purchase a celebration package. Ty for any info. Looking forward to boarding tomorrow. As I live right across the cooper river from port, I see her there often!

I have no idea on the cakes or decorations. I would pull my waiter aside first night of the cruise tell them it's their birthday slip them a 20 tell them to make it special. As for the muster drill I can't recall. I think they are though

Muster starts in a lounge on Promenade deck 9, then continues to lifeboat stations on deck 10. One muster station is outside on deck 10, in front of the grill. This one does not move.

Wish Princess did this.

Carnival does not decorate doors like Princess does. You can decorate the door. Use painters tape. It's easy to take off and leaves no residue.

Edited by SadieN

Just throwing this out.....

The Fantasy is the oldest ship in the fleet. She was designed before EVERYBODY had to have a balcony. Think of her as bridge between the old designs (like the old Pacific Princess of Love Boat) and the new behemoths.

The deck plan is easy to quickly figure (I only get lost looking for the aft MDR, lol). Over look the Farcus designs.

• 1 month later...

I know i am late but I was on that sailing. I just read that review and that person is clearly a drama queen I would say. We missed the port because of FOG and trust me went to the balcony behind the lido deck for breakfast that morning and I am not exagerating when I say I could not see even 4 foot in front of me. And we drove slow because we had an extra day so we had to make up for the extra time. Oh and the $11 wasnt them making anything up to us it was the port fees for freeport being refuned.

Also there was no fire. Someone was smoking in their room and activated a smoke detector. I know this because my MIL was down that hall and she said all the fire men were right there in her hall and they were talking to a lady about it. But it was scary that all the doors closed and we stopped because I was not around my MIL until afterward. Me and my hubs were eyeballing life vests.

But I will be honest this was my first cruise and it did kinda suck. The weather was okay through the time we got to nassau. As we were pulling out of Nassau it had just started to rain and from that point on it was gloomy, windy and then missed out port because of fog. And the ship was rocky but you could see by looking at the TV in our room that we were right by storms so understandable.

But as for everything I would say it met my expectation it was literately the cheapest cruise in my time frame and I didn't want to spend a fortune on my first one for someone to end up sea sick and miserable.(we didnt yay)

But the reason I came across this is because I am looking to book my next one so it didn't turn me off to cruising. I really feel the issues that we had were not related to Carnival in any way but rather an unfortunate circumstances.

I know i am late but I was on that sailing. I just read that review and that person is clearly a drama queen I would say. We missed the port because of FOG and trust me went to the balcony behind the lido deck for breakfast that morning and I am not exagerating when I say I could not see even 4 foot in front of me. And we drove slow because we had an extra day so we had to make up for the extra time. Oh and the $11 wasnt them making anything up to us it was the port fees for freeport being refuned.

Also there was no fire. Someone was smoking in their room and activated a smoke detector. I know this because my MIL was down that hall and she said all the fire men were right there in her hall and they were talking to a lady about it. But it was scary that all the doors closed and we stopped because I was not around my MIL until afterward. Me and my hubs were eyeballing life vests.

But I will be honest this was my first cruise and it did kinda suck. The weather was okay through the time we got to nassau. As we were pulling out of Nassau it had just started to rain and from that point on it was gloomy, windy and then missed out port because of fog. And the ship was rocky but you could see by looking at the TV in our room that we were right by storms so understandable.

But as for everything I would say it met my expectation it was literately the cheapest cruise in my time frame and I didn't want to spend a fortune on my first one for someone to end up sea sick and miserable.(we didnt yay)

But the reason I came across this is because I am looking to book my next one so it didn't turn me off to cruising. I really feel the issues that we had were not related to Carnival in any way but rather an unfortunate circumstances.

Sorry about the weather on your first cruise. You have a great attitude about it. :)