Just finished w/ the Rhapsody 9/4/05-9/11/05, willing to take questions...

wdj03

Hey folks..

As I was shopping & planning for our recent cruise, I got lots of help off of these boards so I figured that I'd be glad to return the favor.

I will be posting a detailed review pretty soon, but until then I thought I would at least put this out there so that folks w/ questions about Rhapsody out of Galveston could get some answers..

Fire away!

Welcome back, did you have a good time? We're looking forward to our turn on the Rhapsody Oct 16th. How is the ship's condition in general? What time should we plan on getting there to get on board with the least amount of time to wait? We have the setsail pass. Did you do anything in Galveston or have any suggestions of where to go for entertainment, dinner, etc? We are planning on being there the Friday before. Did you smuggle alcohol? How did that go if you did? How was the weather? How did most people dress for dinner for both casual and formal nights? Did you go to Key West or Ocho Rios? How were the ports in general? What excursions did you do and how did you like them? What was your favorite part of the ship and do you have any suggestions for good places to hang out? Did you go to the spa and how did you like it if you did? Were there lots of chair hogs? Did you like the food? What kind of room did you stay in and was it what you expected. How was the entertainment? Was this your first cruise or are you a veteran?

We just can't wait. Hope your trip was everything you hoped for.

Tammy

wdj03,

We are looking forward to our turn on 10/23/05. Tammy did a fantastic job asking just about all the questions I would ask, so I'll just sit back with my cyber foo-foo drink and wait for your reply!

Kat 060104_emM12_prv.gif

Which ports did you visit? Did you have kids with you? If so how were the clubs? Do you have a copy of the Daily Compass? What nights are the formal nights and what are the theme nights? How are the shows? Is there a lot of dancing aside from the night club? We like to salsa! Thanks!

woah... lots of q's already... i'll touch on everything that i can.. If i leave something out, just post it again..

Welcome back, did you have a good time?

Absolutely. It was great!

How is the ship's condition in general?

It's an older ship and you might find some annoyances if you look for things, but it was clean, well maintained and fairly up-to date. I would say that it was as nice or nicer than 90% of the hotels I've stayed in..

What time should we plan on getting there to get on board with the least amount of time to wait?

I'd say earlier is better. From the time that you find your parking lot to the time that you're in your stateroom, I'd say that you're looking at 60-90 minutes no matter when you arrive. If you're hoping to just walk on the ship in 15 minutes, you'll be upset and stressed out. If you prepare yourself for airport-like stress, you'll be ready for it and it won't seem so bad..

Did you do anything in Galveston or have any suggestions of where to go for entertainment, dinner, etc? We are planning on being there the Friday before.

Sorry, we arrived in Galveston & went straight to our parking lot.

Did you smuggle alcohol? How did that go if you did?

Yes, quite a bit of it actually. It worked very well for us. I was with a group of four, and we took about 10 bottles of various stuff on board (most of it wine to have with dinner). We wrapped it in towels & clothes in our checked bags, but made no other efforts to conceal it. It all arrived in our stateroom and we enjoyed it with no problems at all. We used the bars for beer and various specialty drinks as well, and that worked out well too..

How was the weather?

At sea it was fine. 1-4 feet the whole time. In the ports, it was pretty hot but you'll do better considering the fact that you'll be going in October. When I post a longer review, I'll mention some interesting stuff that the captain said about their experience when Katrina was in the Gulf. Quite impressive..

How did most people dress for dinner for both casual and formal nights?

I'm a guy, so I didn't really look at stuff closely. On casual nights, slacks or jeans & button shirts for men. Women did the same, but some wore casual/fun dresses. On formal nights most guys were in suits and most ladies were in dresses. They didn't exactly have two formal nights. The second was called a 'smart casual' where a turtleneck & sport coat (or dress shirt w/o tie) was pretty common.

Did you go to Key West or Ocho Rios?

Ocho Rios.

How were the ports in general?

Cozumel was our favorite.. It wasn't as lush as Jamaica or as clean as G.C., but it was the most laid back. We'll definitely go back..

Grand Cayman was nice. We stayed very close to the terminal though, so prices were high and it seemed a little snooty. I'd give it another chance..

Ocho was ok. Our tour was fun, but our bus driver took us right into an sales ambush. My fault though.. I should've known to stay in the bus.. We'd go there on a cruise again, but wouldn't seek it out...

What excursions did you do and how did you like them?

In Ocho, we did the bike tour. It was GREAT except for the ambush mentioned earlier. In G.C. we did Dan Foster's snorkeling. It was affordable and the snorkeling was very good, but it doesn't last long and you don't go very far. In Coz, we rented a jeep and putted around on our own.

What was your favorite part of the ship and do you have any suggestions for good places to hang out?

The whole ship was great. Our cruise was 100% full, and it never seemed crowded. You can always find a quiet corner if you look for it. The observation deck above the windjammer is a good spot as you're arriving/departing ports. The back of the ship near the rock wall is nice.

Did you go to the spa and how did you like it if you did?

Nah, it was a little pricey in our opinion.

Were there lots of chair hogs?

Not really. Even with a full ship, we never had a hard time finding a chair. If you absolutely have to be right next to the pool it might be different, but if you're ok with being farther away, you won't have any problems.

Did you like the food?

Absolutely.

What kind of room did you stay in and was it what you expected?

We had a large ocean view stateroom on deck 3. It was much bigger than we expected and had tons of storage. Overall, I'd say that the room was better than expected.

How was the entertainment?

The shows were excellent. I'd encourage you to make all of them that you can, especially the ones with the guest performers. If "El Gacho" (I think that was his name) is on your cruise, do NOT miss him.. He was outstanding! One of the most talented people I've ever seen..

Was this your first cruise or are you a veteran?

This was the first for me & my wife.

Which ports did you visit? Did you have kids with you? If so how were the clubs? Do you have a copy of the Daily Compass? What nights are the formal nights and what are the theme nights? How are the shows? Is there a lot of dancing aside from the night club? We like to salsa! Thanks!

Ports - Ocho, G.C. and Coz..

Kids - We have a 2 year old, but he stayed home with my parents..

Kids Club - Looked fine, although we didn't do anything besides walk past it..

Compass - Sorry, I didn't keep any of ours.. Tip: When you first board, go grab a copy of the day 1 compass. It's near the purser's desk.

Formal Nights - Ours were Monday and Friday.

Theme Nights - There was a rock 'n roll night and a caribbean night. I don't remember any others off hand and I'm not sure which night each one was.

Shows - We missed a couple of them, but saw all of the guest entertainers. They were excellent. As mentioned above, do NOT miss "El Gaucho" if he does a show for you.

Dancing - I remember quite a bit of dancing. My wife & I did the ballroom class. There's a salsa class as well. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the "Shall we dance" lounge has some form of dancing every single night at various times. Oh, and disco in the Viking lounge is hilarious. We're horrible dancers, but were right in the middle of it and had a blast..

Leaving in two days. Thanks for all the info! I am bringing a tux for the two formal nights, but not bringing a jacket or tie for smart casual night. Will Docker slacks and a nice button-down tropical shirt get me in to the dining room?

We have seen El Gaucho the last two years on AOS. We want to take our friends (they have never cruised) to see him. Pretty amazing bolo act!

Glad you enjoyed Cruise Numero Uno.

I might be able to fill in the blanks on some of the questions since we have been on Rhapsody 3 times and are going back end of November.

We get to the pier around 11 am and last year we were first on the ship around 11:20. The checkin was 5 minutes - we just had to wait for the ship to open up. Your rooms are not available until 1 pm generally but you can take turns "guarding" your carry ons while you explore and/or visit the WIndjammer buffet.

There is quite a lot to do in Galveston. The Strand is walking distance from the pier and is a shopping/restaurant/bar area that is historic. Something for everyone really - some chain stores etc. There is a cute old fashioned ice cream parlor and a great breakfast place in the area called the Phoenix. For those going early - eat at Gaido's or Casey's over on the Seawall. Owned by the same people - great seafood. Gaido's is white tablecloth, Casey's more casual.

Interesting about only one formal - this is the first I've heard of that. Generally the formal nights have been Monday and Thursday. Most people do dress appropriately. I really don't see too many jeans at all - really it's almost too hot for denim - you will be more comfortable in khakis and cottons.

The Schooner Bar is the popular lounge and is nice both pre dinner and late night. The Viking Crown is really under utilized before it becomes a disco at night. It is our favorite spot for a sunset drink - usually quiet and a beautiful view!

Unless they have improved things, the gym equipment is old and blah. The spa is lovely but the prices are ridiculous. But hey, it's a vacation and any service I've had from blow drys to massages have always been very good.

I have Daily Compasses from last year and they generally don't change that much. If you have the Key West itinerary, they have a deck party that night and there is a Chocolate Buffet but I can't remember when it was. the Grand Buffet is usually the second formal night.

I was on this sailing of the Rhapsody and it was great!! It was the best vacation I have ever taken.

The formal nights were Monday and Thursday (not Friday) and they were both listed as "formal" on the cruise compass. What people wore varied a great deal. I wore cocktail dresses on both formal nights and all the men at our table of 8 wore tuxes. However, I saw men in regular suits and ties and women in pant suits that also looked nice so I wouldn't worry too much about what to wear.

We were dropped off at the pier and were on the ship within 15 minutes, but we were in a suite and had priority embarkation.

How was the weather?

At sea it was fine. 1-4 feet the whole time. In the ports, it was pretty hot but you'll do better considering the fact that you'll be going in October. When I post a longer review, I'll mention some interesting stuff that the captain said about their experience when Katrina was in the Gulf. Quite impressive..

What did he have to say? I'm dying to know. I was on that cruise when Katrina was in the Gulf. I didn't think it was so bad. But I'm really thinking we didn't feel to much of anything because we had an inside cabin. That was our first time with an inside cabin and I kinda liked it.

But I'm dying to know what the captain had to say.

Welcome home all. It's wonderful that you all had such a great time. Sounds just fantastic.

Thank you for answering all my questions. I get more excited and anxious everyday. We went shopping yesterday for my bf's clothes for formal wear. He wears a dress shirt and tie and dress pants everyday for work and wanted something new and extra special. We decided against a tux though in favor of a black suit and some nice shirts in beautiful colors and fabrics and cool ties to go with them. They are complimentary to my dresses but not matching. He also bought a really cool light weight suede jacket to wear on a casual night with tan slacks or khackis. We are just crazy about dressing up, I've had my dresses purchased and ready to go for months. I'm surprising him with some new cuff links as a gift on the first formal night ;) .

I'm happy to hear the ship is in good shape and the staff is friendly and that so many people enjoy the Rhasody. I've yet to find a derogatory comment on these boards. We have a good time no matter where we go. A motto I grew up with is "every individual is responsible for his/her own good time" that goes for everyday life or vacations. Once you adopt that attitude its impossible not to have a good time.

I'm kinda worried about Ocho Rios but you helped relieve some of that. We're still trying to decide about an excursion there. I've heard there's a Margaritaville near where the ship docks and beach access there. I'm in favor of that and not getting too far away from the area.

I love Cozumel and Grand Caymen. This is my 3rd cruise as an adult and my bf's first. The other two were planned by a friend (I travelled with co-workers both times) it feels very different this time. Like I'm more in charge. I've been planning things to help make it a very special trip for my bf and a very romantic time for the two of us. I ordered one of the romantic packages and have planned small gifts. If any one has suggestions I'm open. I received some excellent suggestions from an earlier post (romance on the Rhapsody) that I am utilizing.

Thank you for the suggestion of the Schooner bar it sounds like just what we are looking for. I know there are several places to go but you guys that have been several times know the best. Also thanks for the reccomdations for Galveston, We are just gonna have the best time.

These boards are great:)

Tammy

I envy anyone who has a Rhapsody cruise planned. I was on it July 3-10 and replay the dvd often to relive those wonderful memories. She's quite a ship. You will have to look hard to find fault.

Vicki, you mean you are passing up the opportunity to attend the Dallas area M&M to go on a cruise? Shame on you! Have a blast and please post a review.

I hardly saw anyone wearing jeans in the dining room. There was a western hoe down one night so of course lots wore jeans at that time. Khakis and a nice shirt works well on non formal nights unless you want to go more casual and have dinner up in the windjammer cafe.

Do it all or do nothing. No matter what... it's all good stuff.

....Vicki, you mean you are passing up the opportunity to attend the Dallas area M&M to go on a cruise? Shame on you! Have a blast and please post a review....

Bonnie, is there really an M and M in the Dallas area? I'm going on the Rhapsody on Oct 9. I'm in Garland.

We have to wait until 9/10/06, so I have a yr to plan. First time on RCCL, booked a Grand Suite. Great price. We were thinking about flying in a day ahead and visiting Johnson Space center. Any and all thought are welcomed and looking forward to your review.:p

We were thinking about flying in a day ahead and visiting Johnson Space center. Any and all thought are welcomed and looking forward to your review.:p

wmorrell35,

Have a looksee here: http://www.spacecenter.org/

and here: http://www.nasa.gov/centers/johnson/home/index.html

Happy trails,

Kat 50.gif

Hi Everyone:

We were also on this cruise Sept 4th-11th and we truly enjoyed it. I was disappointed that our Cruise Director Dan Dan the Party Man did not show up at our Meet & Mingle. Out of all of the cruises we've taken on the Rhapsody within the last 14 months, this is the first Cruise Director not to show up at the Meet & Mingle. I don't like Dan Dan, there are some other personal issues with him...and the crew doesn't like him either. Hope he is gone by our Oct. 9th cruise.

Fausto

We didn't have Dan-Dan show up either, but I was not expecting him nor the other girl who came there to give us a 20 minute speil about the Crown and Anchor Program. We all had the meeting going quite well going around the room introducing ourselves when she came in and put it off track for 25 minutes.

Take me back to the Schooner Bar. Tell Leo or Baptist that I would like another Captain and Coke Please! Ask Leo if he knows any magic tricks.;)

Archived