Epic Review 24th May

trfccruiser

We had a great time on the Epic myself my DW and DD (13).

The Epic won’t win any beauty contests on the outside but certainly has it’s moments inside.For me some parts really work and some don't.more good than bad though.

Day 1.

Flew in to Barcelona,taxi transfer was a breeze 20 minutes roads very quiet being a Sunday,arrived about 11.30.checkin very organised and efficient we were on board within 20 minutes of arriving.Obligatory welcome aboard photo which like a lot these days is actually done shoreside with a mock up of the ship.

We were next door to the Allure of The Seas which actually dwarfed us and the Epic isn’t small!

Rachel wanted to go straight to the poll area-good job as seasoned cruisers we packed the necessary costumes!

The pools are quite small but it’s the water slides that make this ship as far as water based fun goes.There is a purple slide that is complete darkness and very fast a green one that is complete darkness and fast until half way round when you are suddenly plunged into the light and the orange “bowl”.With this one you sit in a rubber ring and are shot into a big bowl which you go round a couple of times and then are sucked down a plughole.It is brilliant!easily compares with any land based water slides that I’ve been on.Queues were light on day 1 but got busier obviously but were never a really long wait.You queued between the split funnel for the bowl one which gave you an interesting perspective of the ship.

We ten had lunch and I must say I am a big fan of the range and quality of NCL’s buffet,hot meals sandwiches salads,cakes pastries ice cream .Also really good cloudy lemonade to drink.The free coffee is a bit grim though,better in paid places and the studio lounge machine.

We were told cabins would be ready by 1.30 but at 1 it was announced they were ready early.

We had a balcony cabin and also a studio cabin.

There has been much coverage of the wave concept which is a little tighter on bed to wall space but storage space is miles better than most.The split shower toilet thing was no issue for us you can see a silhouette at best and the modesty curtain works well (and shuts noise out at night).The sink is bonkers though.It’s too shallow and as the plug is right in the middle of the sink it’s too easy to undo it whilst washing your hands.

The studio cabins are an excellent innovation,the space age lighting we loved but you can just have plain white if you prefer,It’s surprisingly spacious for one and the double bed is very comfortable.No hairdryer though unlike the balcony cabin.

Probably the best part of the studio cabin setup though is the lounge that is keycard access.It’s a good place for single travellers to meet up and make arrangements but it also has refreshments on tap-cookies in the day,Danish pastries and cereal in the morning.There is also juice and water plus coffee and tea and the coffee is MUCH better than the buffet.

We then explored the ship a bit there are lots of bars and lounges to discover.Whilst it’s not a tall atrium the atrium does have a stunning chandelier which hovers above the Taste Restaurant.

We then got ready for dinner and chose to eat in the Manhattan Room (we were going to try Moderno but it was full).

I’ve read a lot of reviews that have said that the Mnahattan Room is a nicer venue but the service is slow compared to Taste,but our experience was the opposite way around .The menus are the same and change every couple of days but we ate early and later at Manhattan and the service was very quick and once later in taste and it was slow but not painfully so.Both Manhattan meals were an hour for 3 courses,Taste an hour and a half.

Manhattan has a large dance floor and windows and live music is played at various times,makes for a nice atmosphere.

I thought the food was excellent,good restaurant quality.I had French Onion Soup with Gruyere Crouton,Steak with baked potato and wonderfully crisp onions and for dessert pistachio creme brulee.I didn't care for it but that was because I don't like marzipan flavour which I wasn't expecting.

We then had a quick look in Headliners for Howl at the Moon the music by request “duelling pianos”.I loved it on the Getaway taster cruise but Rachel pulled the teenager face so we didn’t stay long and retired to bed,tired after our early start.

IMGP1900_zps2dwrtvey.jpg

First view of Pool deck

IMGP1910_zps9dh9avbj.jpg

We followed Allure of The Seas and Aida Blu out

IMGP1905_zpsrgt5hfgr.jpg

early view of Spongebob!

IMGP1902_zpswng5kthw.jpg

Ordered my wife chocolate strawberries to be there in the cabin on first day.

Edited by philhar

thanks for your review!

did you get to see any DVD's on sale from the best moments on your cruise? Did they have someone from NCL with a camera filming around?

Hi,didn't see either to be honest sorry I only made 2 fleeting visits to the photo shop.The photos are so expensive and we didn't like any of them.I hate posed photos if anyone has seen Chandler in the Friends episode when he is posing with Monica for formal shots-that's me!

Looking forward to hearing more of your Epic adventure!

Pleased to hear the news on the other thread that the lost rings are no longer lost! :)

Thanks very much day 2 to follow!I meant to indicate in the title that it would be day by day,but by the time I realised I hadn't the edit function was diasbled!Too slow!

Hi,

I am sailing Epic in 3 weeks time (well just over 3 weeks :) ).

Can you tell me which stance Epic was docked at in Barcelona?

Last year she was at the first terminal right next to the bridge once you cross is - was it the same this year?

It would be nice to be able to tell the taxi driver exactly where we are going from our hotel in the morning (though I'm sure they will probably know better than I will!)

Thanks in advance :)

Port not court[emoji53]Hi! I want to go to the beach in either Palma Majorca or Cannes. Which court is closer to the beach?

Hi it's definitely Cannes that's nearest less than a 5 minute walk,turn right out of the car park pass the harbour with all the posh yachts and you're there!

We went on the beach in Palma though we took a taxi to Palma Nova Beautiful beach and a taxi rank on the prom with taxis to take you back.

The beach in Cannes is nice too the public beach is the first part you come to it's nice but quite small further down the beach is privately owned(hotels and restaurants)

Following. Doing the Epic Southampton to Barcelona in October. Did the Epic TA last year. What is replacing the Blue Man Group?

Looking forward to the rest of your report.

Thanks,

Tony

Hi Tony, I've done separate days as separate threads.

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2219828&highlight=epic+day+2#

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2220347&highlight=epic+ischia#

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2220818&highlight=epic+civitavecchia#

Other than the Cirque paid for show there was only really Legends and Burn the Floor,neither of which I fancied,they kept repeating them.

Priscilla Queen of the Desert is the real replacement for Blue Man,but I'm not sure if it starts in time for your cruise.Bit of a whole in the "big show" itinerary for me till then.