Greenock hop on/hop off

Here is a posting from Trip Advisor in regards to a new hoho service in Greenock. Good news for those of us who don't plan to go into Glasgow.

Re: Greenock hop on, hop off

Jun 08, 2015, 4:52 AM

Hi I am from Greenock and can confirm that it is true! The bus only operates when a cruise is in and will stop around about the cruise terminal and visit places such as the Esplanade, Lyle Hill and Newark Castle. I'm off on holiday myself soon but I'll try and get some information locally and put it on here.

Here is a posting from Trip Advisor in regards to a new hoho service in Greenock. Good news for those of us who don't plan to go into Glasgow.

Re: Greenock hop on, hop off

Jun 08, 2015, 4:52 AM

Hi I am from Greenock and can confirm that it is true! The bus only operates when a cruise is in and will stop around about the cruise terminal and visit places such as the Esplanade, Lyle Hill and Newark Castle. I'm off on holiday myself soon but I'll try and get some information locally and put it on here.

Not realy news, we used that FREE bus last summer. It is not a hopon/off bus, but an excursion at fixed times. Those free tours are offered to cruise passengers, a donation is expected of course.

You can prebook or hope there will be space available when arriving there. http://www.inverclydetouristgroup.co.uk/

Edited by Ine

We took one of their tours a couple of years ago and had such an enjoyable day! Afterwards, my husband and I went to a local restaurant for a traditional Scottish meal. You're best to reserve your space in advance for the tour (although if there's space, I believe a representative will be in the arrivals hall to accommodate new passengers). There's more info on these boards with first-hand reports from those who've taken the tours.

The locals give such a feel for the area and are so welcoming. Every time we've been in Greenock, a group playing bagpipes will bid us farewell. They do such a good job of making you feel at home there.

Enjoy Scotland!

Not realy news, we used that FREE bus last summer. It is not a hopon/off bus, but an excursion at fixed times. Those free tours are offered to cruise passengers, a donation is expected of course.

You can prebook or hope there will be space available when arriving there. http://www.inverclydetouristgroup.co.uk/

From what I read this is different from the Inverclyde Group which we have also used in the past. This is supposed to be a hoho that allows stops at various places. The poster from Trip Advisor said he will post more info later. We have a reservation for a tour from the local group, but we hope to use the hoho once our excursion is done.

Edited by FritzG

Just home today from the 12 night British Isles cruise on Celebrity. We did HOHO in Liverpool(wonderful), Dublin (wonderful), Paris (good, but pricey) and Greenock. We had an afternoon excursion to Stirling castle, so we took this bus in the morning. We paid the family ticket price and added a child to it, since we have 3 kids, it took off and went through a few abandoned shipyards and then got on what I would describe a highway and reached about 45 miles an hour, so we ventured down stairs and then we were told about sights that were not visible. After 35 minutes we had the feeling that we were not going to see anything and we finally got back to somewhere that was not abandoned. There were older people on the bus asking the driver when we were going to see some sights or get to a sight that they could hop off and that's when it stopped at the city bus stop that was about a five minute walk to a mall, the guide announced if you want to go shopping get off here and pointed in the vicinity of a mall, and said shopping is up that way. We carry a GPS so we navigated ourselves and walked the 20 minutes back to the ship. Unfortunately we were really disappointed in this bus. I should have followed my gut when we were told that there were no maps for the bus,as I have never been on one that doesn't give a map. I'm not sure what route the bus took after that stop but all of the people except two left the bus rather quickly.