Carnival Cruise Master Card

Max49

I applied and will be getting the Carnival Master card. After I make a first purchase, I will get either 5 or 50 thousand 'points' that can be used to spend toward purchasing cruises, excursins, OBC etc on Carnival and other major cruise companies. What are these "other major cruise companies?"

I'm hoping or assuming they are Princess, HAL and the other ones that are owned by Carnival corporation; but I don't know for sure.

Can any one tell me for sure?

Thanks

Not sure, when we got ours it was good for "double points" only for Carnival related purchases. We have almost stopped using it because of the low payback (1% for all purchases & 2% for Carnival) Most of the other cards are paying 3 to 5% on most everything.

I applied and will be getting the Carnival Master card. After I make a first purchase, I will get either 5 or 50 thousand 'points' that can be used to spend toward purchasing cruises, excursins, OBC etc on Carnival and other major cruise companies. What are these "other major cruise companies?"

I'm hoping or assuming they are Princess, HAL and the other ones that are owned by Carnival corporation; but I don't know for sure.

Thanks

You can use the points for Carnival, Costa, Cunard, Holland, Seabourn, and Princess along with airfare and hotels. But the best percentage for points would be used for Carnival. The other cruse lines mentioned above requires more points to be used. I can't elaborate since I have only cruised with Carnival. Like others, there are better cards that give 2 points on everything but usually have a yearly fee. You could also use the points for the yearly fee to cover the cost also from heresay. Not sure but others could relate to them better. Barclay Arrival also gives 10% points back if points used so you start earning for next trip or even add more to current trip depending on how many one has or acquired.

Thanks

We used our Fun Points toward a few Princess Cruises. But, the same number of points had about half the value doing that, rather than using it on a Carnival Cruise Lines trip. Pretty sure as I have read in the past that its for Carnival Corporately Owned lines.

You could also use the points for the yearly fee to cover the cost also from heresay. Not sure but others could relate to them better. Barclay Arrival also gives 10% points back if points used so you start earning for next trip or even add more to current trip depending on how many one has or acquired.

If you'd like, you can cancel the card right before the year is up, thus not incurring an $89 annual fee. I was going to do this. However, when it came close for my free year to end, I looked back at all the entries of $50, 100, 125 cash back over the past year, and I gladly paid the $89 for this year. This is really the card for people who travel. Also, it comes with free travel insurance if you pay for the entire trip on the one card. You simply cannot beat it.

Not sure, when we got ours it was good for "double points" only for Carnival related purchases. We have almost stopped using it because of the low payback (1% for all purchases & 2% for Carnival) Most of the other cards are paying 3 to 5% on most everything.

Sams card offers much better deal so the carnival card is almost never used.

Thanks for the clarification and tips. I'm glad to hear that the points can be used for all Carnival owned cruise lines. That's too bad the points are worth the same on all lines, dollar for dollar. I'm going to have to learn how the points work.

I do know that the reason I applied for it was because they give me either 5,000 or 50,000 points, can't remember which but I roughly figured it that those points would be worth about $100 towards a cruise or OBC ETC. Maybe some one would know if that sounds like 5000 or 50000 points.

I did'nt have to pay any annual fee for it. My wife just got us the Southwest Rapid Rewards Visa and she seems to think it is worth $100 a year.

Personally, I think every thing should be 5 cents:)

If you'd like, you can cancel the card right before the year is up, thus not incurring an $89 annual fee. I was going to do this. However, when it came close for my free year to end, I looked back at all the entries of $50, 100, 125 cash back over the past year, and I gladly paid the $89 for this year. This is really the card for people who travel. Also, it comes with free travel insurance if you pay for the entire trip on the one card. You simply cannot beat it.

hmmm...I have never been charged a yearly fee.:confused::confused:

Thanks for the clarification and tips. I'm glad to hear that the points can be used for all Carnival owned cruise lines. That's too bad the points are worth the same on all lines, dollar for dollar. I'm going to have to learn how the points work.

I do know that the reason I applied for it was because they give me either 5,000 or 50,000 points, can't remember which but I roughly figured it that those points would be worth about $100 towards a cruise or OBC ETC. Maybe some one would know if that sounds like 5000 or 50000 points.

I did'nt have to pay any annual fee for it. My wife just got us the Southwest Rapid Rewards Visa and she seems to think it is worth $100 a year.

Personally, I think every thing should be 5 cents:)

I got mine a few months back when I booked our next cruise - they applied the points as a credit to my statement in the first billing round. I didn't seem to have a choice in the matter. But I still had my cruise deposit on it, had not paid it off immediately, so maybe that was why.

Free travel insurance? Is it the same that Carnival offers when you book that included medical emergencies? I was thinking of booking a cruise while on the cruise to get the OBC - if I applied for the card at the same time could I use the card then and there? Or would I have to wait until I actually got the card? Thanks in advance... :)

Editted to add - is the insurance included on any trip you use the card for? Or just Carnival cruises? For instance, if I booked a land trip with the card...

Edited by Lurkyloo

hmmm...I have never been charged a yearly fee.:confused::confused:

You may not have the Arrival card. It does have an $89 annual fee, but is waived the first year. I've never paid an annual fee on any credit card in my life but this was too good to pass up.

Free travel insurance? Is it the same that Carnival offers when you book that included medical emergencies? I was thinking of booking a cruise while on the cruise to get the OBC - if I applied for the card at the same time could I use the card then and there? Or would I have to wait until I actually got the card? Thanks in advance... :)

Editted to add - is the insurance included on any trip you use the card for? Or just Carnival cruises? For instance, if I booked a land trip with the card...

I don't know what Carnival offers in terms of medical emergencies on their card or if you book on the ship. My DH's insurance through his work gets us med-i-vac-ed if needed.

I know Carnival Mastercard gives you $50 OBC when you first get the card, but not a big pay off in my mind.

With regard to the insurance, it is on any trip not just cruises. You have to use that card to book the whole trip.

For instance, when I first got the Barclay Arrival card, it gave me $400 off if I spent $1000 in the first 3 months. I thought "no way". So I put $1K down on a family cruise. I then cashed in the travel points and my credit card bill when it showed up was only $600. So I immediately got my DH his own card. We then booked a 2nd cruise for the following year & paid $1K. His bill came & it was only $600.

That deal was last year & is no longer available. Now you have to spend $3K (not $1K) in 3 months (not just travel purchases, any purchases). You then will get the $400 off.

Now I have to be careful b/c when I make cruise reservations, the card that I pay the deposit with (my card) needs to be the same card I pay the final payment with (my card) in order for the insurance to work. It covers late luggage, lost luggage, cancelled trip, etc. Not sure about medical, but it is possible. I just never looked at that b/c we didn't need it. Some people on line are saying there is really tight fraud problems with this and they put a hold on the card when there is a foreign charge. I have never had this problem. It has been great for us.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, tell me if this will work. I have the CCL Master card and have about $300. credit. We're going on our cruise in Oct., so final payment is due mid July. I'll pay for the cruise with the M.C. and they'll credit me double points for the balance. I can ask for the credit to be applied before my cruise, as to reduce the balance I paid, therefore, cruise cost less.

I know you can apply the credit from CCL MC so many months after travel, but, our next cruise is on NCL next April and I'll plan on working for more credit on NCL C.C. for April. I'm not really sure how NCL's CC works, if it's similar to CCL MC.

I thought I heard that with CCL MC that the credits could be applied to any kind of travel even if it was on a different cruiseline. Is that right?

I'm trying to learn how to play the "game" better and I'm sure that there are many out there that play it better. Is my first paragraph about right with applying credits? I never cashed them in before.

Thanks!

You may not have the Arrival card. It does have an $89 annual fee, but is waived the first year. I've never paid an annual fee on any credit card in my life but this was too good to pass up.

I guess I misunderstood. I thought OP was talking about the Carnival Mastercard, not the Barclay Arrival Card. You never stated in your original post that you were talking about a different card.

I have Carnival Master Card and I have received $1500.00 credit using 100,000 points. It has paid for my whole cruise twice. The secret to getting more for your points is to wait till you have the magic number (100,000). I know that is a lot of points, but I charge everything on that card and you would be surprised at how fast the points pile up. I charged a used car on it for $16,000 instead of paying cash and when the bill came in, I paid it off. I never keep a balance.

I thought I heard that with CCL MC that the credits could be applied to any kind of travel even if it was on a different cruiseline. Is that right?

I'm trying to learn how to play the "game" better and I'm sure that there are many out there that play it better. Is my first paragraph about right with applying credits? I never cashed them in before.

Thanks!

There are a number of ways to redeem points, but I don't believe regular travel (or an NCL cruise) is one of them with this card. You can search out the different options on their rewards page. You may want to call to verify. Generally speaking the best redemption value is to use the FunPoints to pay down a Carnival Cruise.

Edited by fuddrules

I have Carnival Master Card and I have received $1500.00 credit using 100,000 points. It has paid for my whole cruise twice. The secret to getting more for your points is to wait till you have the magic number (100,000). I know that is a lot of points, but I charge everything on that card and you would be surprised at how fast the points pile up. I charged a used car on it for $16,000 instead of paying cash and when the bill came in, I paid it off. I never keep a balance.

I think the magic in your scenario may be that you charged $1,500 (or more), not that you had 100,000 points. At least it appears that way based on this info I pulled off the Barclay website.

- Point redemption values vary depending on cruise line selected and dollar amount of the eligible transaction.

- Best redemption value is for redemptions on Carnival Cruise Lines transactions of $1,500 or more.

- Points may be applied to a purchase for up to 180 days after the initial transaction has posted to an account.

- Points may only be applied to an individual transaction once.

Thanks

Lots of info here for the Carnival MasterCard:

http://www.carnivalfunpoints.com/mvt/

https://www.juniper.com/app/japply/lp/TnCs.jsp?prodidreq=CCMWC53724

Actually I use my card a lot. For Carnival purchases I receive double points so I always use it when on a cruise and to pay for the cruise. Then of course I get single points for each dollar spent elsewhere. It adds up. I haven't really found any cards that don't charge huge yearly fees that give 3 to 5 percent cash back. I guess if you're sure of using it often enough to earn back the annual fees then it's a good deal to go with one of those.

Edited by Jana60

:rolleyes:

I think the magic in your scenario may be that you charged $1,500 (or more), not that you had 100,000 points. At least it appears that way based on this info I pulled off the Barclay website.

- Point redemption values vary depending on cruise line selected and dollar amount of the eligible transaction.

- Best redemption value is for redemptions on Carnival Cruise Lines transactions of $1,500 or more.

- Points may be applied to a purchase for up to 180 days after the initial transaction has posted to an account.

- Points may only be applied to an individual transaction once.

You are absolutely right!