Dawn Princess Review - March 28 Sailing

guardhouse

I will try to do this as concisely as possible, starting at booking.

Booked direct with Princess. Easy & efficient. Did our own air to San Juan (Travelocity) and our own hotel pre and post (Orbitz).

Embarkation. Stayed at a hotel 5 minutes from docvk. Arrived at the pier at noon, only 2 people in line. On the ship, wheelchair and all and in our cabin within 10 minutes of leaving the taxi.

Only error by Princess, no wheelchair in cabin as promised and confirmed. Never did see it.

Cabin. Had C315, inside handicapped. HUGE cabin. Twice the size of an inside cabin and bathroom was at least twice the size or larger. Shower measured 48"x48". Plenty of room and clean.

Buffet. Sure has changed in a few years. I found it lacking, but I never lacked food on my plate.

Dining room. Awesome service from a new staff. Found the menu somewhat dull, but still ate VERY well and had some tasty meals. Yes, there was lobster and I had 6 tails (small). Very cheery and helpful staff.

Public rooms. Well laid out and always had staff. Bar staff sometimes slow, but I had all the drinks I needed.

Photo Gallery. Absolutely could not believe how many pictures they now take and try to sell you, and all 8x10's. Way to expensive and where would you put them all? Prefer 5x7's, thank you!

Art Auctions. Great artwork, but what a selling job every day. What will they think of to sell you next?

Wine Tasting,....that's what! It was an absolute total oversell and we complained to the crew about it. We were asked probably 10 times to sign up. Staff would not take no for an answer. I was even told one day at lunch when I ordered lunch dessert that if we signed up for the $25 tasting, they would bring our desserts. Even though they were joking (I hope!) we got up and left. It was that blatant.

Crew. Most were not nearly as friendly as the last time we cruised. Marked change in demeanor.

Island night........has gotten predictable and boring.

Ships entertainment. Went to 2-3 shows, pub show, etc. Lounges were VERY warm. Too warm and I nodded off.

Accessibilty. So, so. My wife uses a cane and wheelchair. Too many high and heavy doors to navigate well in the chair. Actually takes 3 people to do it well. Two struggle. Spoke with others in chairs and got the same response. Hoping Princess takes some of this into account on new ships.

Elevators. Could not believe the rude people who would crowd in front of you, or barge in as the doors open, even though there were people to get off. By the end of the cruise I was getting verbally unhappy with some of the worst.

Steamroom/Sauna. Were both great except the stale sweat smell. Got a bottle of eucalyptis oil in Barbados (first port) and that did the trick. Had a following each night after I first brought it out.

Disembarkation. Went smooth. Stayed in the cabin till color called at 9:45 AM. Was off the ship, luggage located and to a cab in 15 minutes. Well done, but we were late in the order so most had left.

Lounge bill.....only $918 but boy did we have fun!

Tendering. Only tendered in Tortola. Had a self-tour planned. Was surprised that Princess held all passengers until those who had booked Princess excursions were off the boat. Didn't make a big difference, but delayed us unexpectantly by over an hour.

Ok....that's probably enough for now. Fire questions back on things I didn't cover.

09/87 Old Rotterdam

10/89 Noordam

9/90 Noordam

9/92 Star Princess (old)

4/94 Regal Princess

3/04 Dawn Princess

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by guardhouse:

Lounge bill.....only $918 but boy did we have fun!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is this a typo? $918 for onboard bill? What all did you do? I admit I dont drink a lot, but my most expensive one (with buying rounds) was under $200 for a week. Did you do spas, tours or just really like the little umbrellas? icon_biggrin.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;5;3;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Ryndam Pacific Coastal May 3

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;5;17;21;30;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Dawn Princess Alaska May 17

Archived