June 2016 cruise cancelled

the nurse

We booked the Carnival Sunshine, out of Norfolk, for our 35th anniversary. Yesterday, we received an email from Carnival stating that our cruise was cancelled. I checked the website and there are two cruises, one of them leaves 2 days earlier than our now cancelled cruise.

Now here's my issue....I called Carnival to book the earlier cruise, but the price has gone up! They will not give me the same price that I originally booked and I will loose my OBC credit that I requested due to an early saver price drop.

I'm trying to decide if I'll let this cruise go and just book a land vacation to St Thomas for about the same price as the cruise.

Oh, by the way, they did offer a $25 OBC.

Has anyone had this happen to them?

This is a five day cruise to the Bahamas. I'm annoyed that they are charging me more for a cruise that they cancelled / changed dates.

The cruise that was cancelled, was that a 2 day cruise to nowhere or one of the Bahama cruises? Also, I see that you are from Suffolk VA. I would suggest that you check out the cruises leaving from Baltimore. We have sailed from there (we are eastern VA.) and it is easy with several cruises to choose from, Bahamas and Caribbean.

The cruise that was cancelled, was that a 2 day cruise to nowhere or one of the Bahama cruises? Also, I see that you are from Suffolk VA. I would suggest that you check out the cruises leaving from Baltimore. We have sailed from there (we are eastern VA.) and it is easy with several cruises to choose from, Bahamas and Caribbean.

It is a 5 day cruise to the Bahamas.

We have already booked the Pride, out of Baltimore, in January.

We are looking forward to cruise out of Baltimore. Looks like an easy drive and parking is so close to the pier.

We are looking forward to cruise out of Baltimore. Looks like an easy drive and parking is so close to the pier.

We've only said out of Norfolk 1 time and since then those cruise have been too expensive with less choices. Baltimore offers a better deal. We have done the Pride twice, going again this September and have already booked September of 2016.

We booked the Carnival Sunshine, out of Norfolk, for our 35th anniversary. Yesterday, we received an email from Carnival stating that our cruise was cancelled. I checked the website and there are two cruises, one of them leaves 2 days earlier than our now cancelled cruise.

Now here's my issue....I called Carnival to book the earlier cruise, but the price has gone up! They will not give me the same price that I originally booked and I will loose my OBC credit that I requested due to an early saver price drop.

I'm trying to decide if I'll let this cruise go and just book a land vacation to St Thomas for about the same price as the cruise.

I agree with you, Carnival should allow you to move the cruise for the exact same money and OBC you had on the cancelled cruise. Since they wont, then I would also choose a land based vacation.

Isn't the cruise cancelled over a year out...as long as you get your "deposit" back Carnival has fulfilled their contract since you are not out any additional monies. Why should you be given OBC for a "price guarantee" that only affected your original booking. I am sure if you "look around" you can find a cruise for the same amount you originally wanted to spend...or can purchase the cruise that leaves two days earlier and watch for price drops for that cruise.

A year is an eternity in the travel industry...its pretty difficult to find any source that isn't subject to some sort of change.

By the way...is the other cruise the same ship, same port, same itinerary, same room, same schedule? If it is then you may have a legitimate argument with Carnival.

Edited by Sweet Dutch Girl

Are you trying to book a 5 day in exchange for a 5 day? It doesn't make sense they won't allow you to keep the old rate.

OP, I do feel sorry for you. I think if they cancelled your cruise, they should allow you to book the other cruise for the same price. I know the cruise was cancelled as no fault to you. Maybe call back and see if you can get someone else with another response?

Lots of cruises were cancelled yesterday - including mine on the Vista.

You should be able to book the cruise that's a couple of days earlier with your current rate and use your $25 OBC they are giving for the cancellation. The price drop OBC from the cancelled sailing will not carry over. Don't see why it would.

Isn't the cruise cancelled over a year out...as long as you get your "deposit" back Carnival has fulfilled their contract since you are not out any additional monies. Why should you be given OBC for a "price guarantee" that only affected your original booking. I am sure if you "look around" you can find a cruise for the same amount you originally wanted to spend...or can purchase the cruise that leaves two days earlier and watch for price drops for that cruise.

A year is an eternity in the travel industry...its pretty difficult to find any source that isn't subject to some sort of change.

By the way...is the other cruise the same ship, same port, same itinerary, same room, same schedule? If it is then you may have a legitimate argument with Carnival.

The letter that I received stated that you will be price protected for your rate so long as you book a similar sailing with similar accommodations. The obc is their goodwill gesture. So if the OPs letter is anything like mine, she's entitled to both if the new cruise and cabin she wishes to book are similar. As well as the $25 OBC.

Our cruise this upcoming fall was cancelled. We found a similar cruise, close to the same dates, different original port, but same ports of call. They honored our original price. But watch the price. We had some that had bought trip insurance through carnival and the trip insurance was dropped and that extra price was added to their complete cruise cost. We probably wouldn't have noticed except for we have 6 rooms booked and a few of them were more expensive for the same room.

You can not expect them to honor a CTN (Cruise to No where) with a new 5 day sailing to the Bahamas.

True, but her canceled cruise was a 5-day cruise and she wanted to switch it to another 5-day cruise.

We were booked on this same cruise.. We opted for the 15th.. We had 2 rooms booked. We got the exact same rooms but yea one room was $19 more and the other $14 more... I really wanted everything to stay the same so I considered the $25 obc they offered evened it up... I mean it is a year out and it was a government reason things moved...

We were booked in Dec. for a 4 day and ours was cancelled recently due to a charter. There were no other cruises matching to Cozumel that worked for us and when I went to re-book, even though I chose a cruise that was only $45 pp more, since it was a 6 day cruise, I was told they couldn't match it, it would had to have been another 4 day cruise. It actually worked out well for us though I think, they gave us $50 OBC and for 2 more cruising days and a bigger ship, we only ending paying $125 more and they waived any fees (I was booked ES and had not paid my entire deposit yet because we originally booked on $50 deposit).