Visting from another country, taking a cruise.

magiccruiser1

I am planning on a cruise with a passenger visiting from Australia. The cruise will likely on NCL leaving from NYC.

Is anything special required for my guest besides a passport? I am a US resident living in NY.

Edited by magiccruiser1

You Aussie friend would also need to check on any possible Visa requirements that pertain to the places you will be visiting on the cruise.

Hank

And will his US visa allow him to re-enter the US on the return...

Thank you for pointing that out! I never thought of that. My research shows that he does not need a visa since his stay will be less than 90 days.

http://www.wordtravels.com/Travelguide/Countries/United+States+Of+America/Visa

Im going to continue searching to see if any of the ports require one. We would be visiting the Bahamas (Great Stirrup Cay and Nassau).

He won't MIGHT not need a visa but he will have to do an ESTA application online. As soon as he knows his flight information.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

Im going to have him call the embassy in Australia to see what he can find out, and I will call the one here to see if they can point me in the right direction. I found examples of every kind of circumstance except cruises.

I appreciate all of the info!

Australians are exempted from a visa requirement if visiting the U.S. for less than 90 days.

Please don't confuse a visa with the ESTA-Electronic System for Travel Authorization. In order to enter for 90 days or less on the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) the Australian still needs to get pre-entry authorization by completing and paying for the ESTA clearance. See Dept. of Homeland Security website indicated above.

Please don't confuse a visa with the ESTA-Electronic System for Travel Authorization. In order to enter for 90 days or less on the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) the Australian still needs to get pre-entry authorization by completing and paying for the ESTA clearance. See Dept. of Homeland Security website indicated above.

No confusion on my part that is well defined in the link provided and will take the visitor to the ESTA application page.

It appears that if he has a valid passport and applies through the ESTA, he should be fine. On the travel.state.gov site linked above, it says this:

Trips to Canada, Mexico, or nearby Islands

If you are admitted to the United States under the VWP, you may take a short trip to Canada, Mexico, or a nearby island and generally be readmitted to the United States under the VWP for the remainder of the original 90 days granted upon your initial arrival in the United States. Therefore, the length of time of your total stay, including the short trip, must be 90 days or less. See the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) website.

He will be here for about 2 weeks, and the cruise is only 7 days, travelling to Port Canaveral and the Bahamas, so it should fall under under the VWP. I will call the passport department on Monday to confirm this and report back with what they say.

I appreciate everyone's input, thanks :)