Liberty's Memorial Day Review (photo heavy) - Including Extra Days in San Juan!!

trippingpara

Steak%252520House%252520%25252813%252529-129.jpg

Steak%252520House%252520%25252815%252529-131.jpg

Filet Mignon

Steak%252520House%252520%25252816%252529-132.jpg

Cowboy Steak

Steak%252520House%252520%25252814%252529-130.jpg

Chilean Sea Bass

Steak%252520House%252520%25252819%252529-135.jpg

Chocolate Sampler

Since this was the first night onboard, the steakhouse offers a free wine to their guests. You have a choice of either the red or white house wine. You can also upgrade off of their wine list for a discount. Since we are not huge wine drinkers but all 3 of us do enjoy a nice glass of red every now and then, we opted for their red house wine. I have heard a lot of really bad reviews on their red house wine, but we actually thought it was pretty good. Now maybe we have no taste buds at all or wouldn’t know the difference between a “bad” wine and a “good” wine but who cares? We liked it.

The waiters were excellent. Very efficient and knew the right balance between being overly attentive (constantly annoying) and not attentive enough (waiting forever for service). They were always “Johnny-on-the-spot”. They had a great sense of humor and we really enjoyed the playful banter back and forth with them. There was a $35 per person charge and it included an appetizer, salad, main entrée and dessert. As you can see below, they don’t exactly skimp on the portions either!

Steak%252520House-137.jpg

Holy cheesecake Batman!

As we were finishing our desserts, the announcements came over the loudspeaker for the muster drill. On our last cruise, we immediately headed to our muster station because we are those “on time” people that just can’t stand being late for anything. Since we were one of the first to arrive the last time, we ended up being crushed in the stifling heat against the bulkhead (wall) while 1,000 of our closest friends arrived after us. Not this time I told myself. I looked around at the couple of other patrons in the steakhouse and they did not seem to be in any hurry and the waiter had just offered us some coffee so apparently they are not trying to kick us out either. Lady Trip looked anxious to leave until I reminded her of our last muster drill. She quickly took that cup of coffee and relaxed. When the announcement came that the muster drill was about to start, we then (along with the other patrons) signed our bill (leaving a nice tip) and headed down to Deck 4 to our muster station.

We timed it perfectly. We were now standing at the front of the line collecting the nice cool breeze coming off the bay. I understand the necessity of the muster drill and have no problem with it. I just feel bad for the poor peeps stuck in the back against the bulkhead where there is no breeze from the humid Caribbean air. That makes for a very long and uncomfortable drill! We also scored when we were the first ones released from muster. Sweet! Now it was time to get our groove on as the Sail Away party began!

We went back to our cabin first to set up my cameras to capture El Morro (the fort) as we sailed past (our balcony was on the starboard side which faced the forts as we departed). We had the perfect view where I could set up my tripod and wireless remote on my dSLR as well as my GoPro on a mini tripod (I did mention that I’m a complete camera geek, right?). I was so excited that I was going to capture some awesome photos. I had all of the settings dialed in, everything was just perfect. And then my remote failed. Son of a….! Apparently I missed the “check batteries in remote” step on my packing list before we left. Son of a….(again)! I still took a bunch of photos but nighttime photography from a moving ship is a tricky event to capture properly and the slightest movement of the camera (something like….oh, I don’t know….like a finger depressing the shutter button!) can ruin the shot. Grrr! And to top it off, it was too dark for the GoPro to really capture anything on film. Grrr part deux!

Sail%252520Away-140.jpg

Sail%252520Away%252520%2525283%252529-142.jpg

Sail%252520Away%252520%25252827%252529-153.jpg

Sail%252520Away%252520%2525285%252529-148.jpg

There is only one thing left to do now…drink!! “Party on” was the battle cry from our balcony as we headed out to the Lido Deck to join the fun.

Sail%252520Away%252520Party%252520%2525282%252529-143.jpg

Sail%252520Away%252520Party%252520%2525283%252529-144.jpg

It must have been a long day for everyone as the party started to fizzle around 11:30 and was completely dead by midnight. This was probably for the best as we had an early day in St. Thomas the next morning. Which just so happened to be my birthday, so it was a very important day that required a parade and fireworks and flags waving everywhere…!

Thank you so much! No, the Liberty is based out of San Juan, Puerto Rico and that's as far north as she goes. There are two cruise ships in Boston this week: The Norwegian Dawn

norwegian-dawn-cruise-ship.jpg

and the Holland America MS Maasdam

ms-maasdam-cruise-ship.jpg

Cunard's Queen Mary 2 will be in Boston on July 12th.

default-QM2.jpg

If you've never seen her before, she is a sight to behold!

I understand all the cruise ships from Boston. I was asking about the tall ship you showed in your pic in San Juan.

It's been a while since I have cruised out of PR and that was RCL so can you tell me about the liquor store at the dock? Do they expect you to hand it over to them and pick up at the end of the cruise or can you easily throw it in your carry on to take on board.

Also, do you recall if they sell 12 packs of soda at this shop? thanks, enjoying your review so far.

I understand all the cruise ships from Boston. I was asking about the tall ship you showed in your pic in San Juan.

My bad! I thought you were referring to the Liberty. No, according to her schedule, the Cisne Branco just left Norfolk and is in Baltimore at the moment but is scheduled to sail up to Newport, RI and then to Boston for the big Fourth of July celebration when the U.S.S. Constitution does her sail-out gives her 21 gun salute.

It's been a while since I have cruised out of PR and that was RCL so can you tell me about the liquor store at the dock? Do they expect you to hand it over to them and pick up at the end of the cruise or can you easily throw it in your carry on to take on board.

Also, do you recall if they sell 12 packs of soda at this shop? thanks, enjoying your review so far.

The duty-free liquor store is just before the security check. This is not Carnival's security check but that of the Port of San Juan. Just leave your liquor in the store's bag for the security check. They will just hand it back to you. You now have to walk down a hallway (an immigration officer will check your passport again) and then you turn to your left to get on the glass bridge that leads to the ship. While you are crossing that bridge (it runs parallel to the Liberty), you can shove your purchase into your backpack. Or you just continue to carry it in the store's bag and hand it over to the Carnival security desk at the end of the bridge onboard the Liberty. I am in no way advocating what actions to take, merely answering your question to the best of my ability.

Oh yeah, I believe that they sell 12 packs of soda there too. We had purchased ours at the CVS across the street (where we bought our wine too) and just put that into our roller carry-on bag. Happy cruising!

The duty-free liquor store is just before the security check. This is not Carnival's security check but that of the Port of San Juan. Just leave your liquor in the store's bag for the security check. They will just hand it back to you. You now have to walk down a hallway (an immigration officer will check your passport again) and then you turn to your left to get on the glass bridge that leads to the ship. While you are crossing that bridge (it runs parallel to the Liberty), you can shove your purchase into your backpack. Or you just continue to carry it in the store's bag and hand it over to the Carnival security desk at the end of the bridge onboard the Liberty. I am in no way advocating what actions to take, merely answering your question to the best of my ability.

Oh yeah, I believe that they sell 12 packs of soda there too. We had purchased ours at the CVS across the street (where we bought our wine too) and just put that into our roller carry-on bag. Happy cruising!

Great. Thanks for the info.

Loving your review! Thanks so much!

We are sailing in January for our 15 year anniversary. My husband is a big camera guy too. Can you recommend which gopro I should buy to surprise him?

I have both the Hero 3 and Hero 4. The big difference between them is that the Hero 4 has a LCD touchscreen built in. The Hero 3 has a LCD screen (non-touch)that can be purchased separately and attached onto the back. The built in screen is great but becomes useless if you use the extra battery pack that attaches over the screen (which I use when I do 2 tank scuba dives so I don't have to worry about changing batteries). If you are using the Hero 4 in water, then you need the solid backplate (which is included) however, you then cannot use the touchscreen. You can see it, but can't use the controls on it. Not an issue really as you still have full access to the standard button controls. (I've never used the touchscreen as I primarily use the camera for snorkeling/diving/swimming, etc.) If he's really accustomed to having a LCD screen to view his shot, then I would recommend the Hero 4. If cost is the bigger concern then I would go with the Hero 3 and you can add a LCD screen later on.

I've been real happy with both of them so you really can't lose with either one. Just be careful, you can go crazy with all of the GoPro accessories!! Even our labs have dog harnesses to wear the GoPros when we go out playing. Crazy, I'm telling you!

Edited by trippingpara

Loving you review!

Thanks for your tips earlier on where to stay and stuff to do on SJU.

We are looking to hopefully book a Journeys Cruise on Sunshine that start in SJU and ends in Port Canaveral. The ports and itinerary seem amazing - SJU, St. Thomas, Antigua, Dominica, Martinique, St. Croix, Grand Turk, Port Canaveral. :) Just trying to figure out flights and all from Toronto and decide (US / CDN exchange rate doesn't hep either :()

We hope to be in SJU for 3 days prior to the cruise. We did the forts, so maybe bio bay, walking around, beaches, maybe rent a car for the duration and drive around exploring...

I have a few questions please.

1. Ferry to Catano - I love rum and am thinking maybe we can do this tour. But we have two kids (8,10) with us. Is it conducive for kids? Would we have to pay for them too? Is there anything else to do on Catano? $1 for a the return ferry ride just for fun sounds good too...

2. Steakhouse - This would be our second cruise. First was on Freedom last Dec and we didn't do the steakhouse. Were thinking that since this would be our 15th wedding anniversary we would go on the first night? Do you have to book on board or can it be done prior? Secondly, I guess it would be best to leave the kids at Camp to go there? Last cruise they did not even go the camp and we just loved all hanging out together and spending family time. They went to check it, but said they would never want to be at Camp while on the cruise.. what fun would that be! LOL

Thanks again!

Loving you review!

Thanks for your tips earlier on where to stay and stuff to do on SJU.

We are looking to hopefully book a Journeys Cruise on Sunshine that start in SJU and ends in Port Canaveral. The ports and itinerary seem amazing - SJU, St. Thomas, Antigua, Dominica, Martinique, St. Croix, Grand Turk, Port Canaveral. :) Just trying to figure out flights and all from Toronto and decide (US / CDN exchange rate doesn't hep either :()

We hope to be in SJU for 3 days prior to the cruise. We did the forts, so maybe bio bay, walking around, beaches, maybe rent a car for the duration and drive around exploring...

I have a few questions please.

1. Ferry to Catano - I love rum and am thinking maybe we can do this tour. But we have two kids (8,10) with us. Is it conducive for kids? Would we have to pay for them too? Is there anything else to do on Catano? $1 for a the return ferry ride just for fun sounds good too...

2. Steakhouse - This would be our second cruise. First was on Freedom last Dec and we didn't do the steakhouse. Were thinking that since this would be our 15th wedding anniversary we would go on the first night? Do you have to book on board or can it be done prior? Secondly, I guess it would be best to leave the kids at Camp to go there? Last cruise they did not even go the camp and we just loved all hanging out together and spending family time. They went to check it, but said they would never want to be at Camp while on the cruise.. what fun would that be! LOL

Thanks again!

That cruise sounds awesome, I'm so jealous! Let's see if I can help you out with your questions...

1)Ferry to Catano - Its a nice little cruise over to Catano. There is no age limit at Casa Bacardi and I do not believe there is a charge for anyone under 18 (legal drinking age in Puerto Rico). There were several kids on the tour with us and they seemed to have no problem staying entertained. (They seemed to love the part where you can smell all of the different rums - they were running around smelling all of them like mad men!). I say go for it!

2) Steakhouse- First off, congrats on your 15 years of marital bliss! Our first cruise was celebrating our 15th anniversary too! You can book a reservation online under Manage / Excursions on the Carnival site or via email. The email for the Sunshine is: shsteakhouse@carnival.com. You can also book reservations onboard. As for the kids, that's up to you. Do you want a nice, romantic dinner alone or do you want it to be a family event. I do believe that they will charge you $35 per person regardless of age. Might be a good night for camp time kiddies! That's my two cents!

Have a great cruise!

Great review and love your pics. Is that the same tall ship in Boston this week ?

Forgive me if someone already answered this. The one that just arrived in Boston is from Spain.

Forgive me if someone already answered this. The one that just arrived in Boston is from Spain.

Awesome, thank you Fozzy! I wasn't able to find out which one had just arrived in Boston. My wife's office overlooks where the tall ships all dock so she always tells me when they're there but not who is there!

Monday, May 25th – St. Thomas, USVI

My alarm clock (aka cell phone) went off promptly at 7:00 am which is an ungodly hour for it to go off on vacation. In reality, this is pretty much my normal time no matter what day it is but it just seems to be an offensive time to be getting out of bed when I’m on a cruise ship in the middle of the Caribbean Sea. Actually, the concept of an alarm clock is offensive on a vacation period! I thought a vacation was to lie in bed until late morning, shuffle around in your jammies till noon, have several cocktails for brunch and then get your day started!

That is a great concept for a vacation but it’s just not this vacation! We are actually a go-go-go kind of family so we don’t do very well with the lazy, hazy kind of vacations that I dream about. The 3 of us hopped out of bed and quickly took our showers (separately of course! We’re a close family but not THAT close!!) and headed out to the Lido deck for some breakfast. An omelet for me and a good continental breakfast with fruit for the ladies. After our breakfast we grabbed our gear and headed down to Deck 0 to “ding” us off the ship and smile pretty for the cameras at the end of the gangway.

DSC00003-3.jpg

IMG_3807-109.jpg

Coming in to dock

IMG_3809-116.jpg

Too early for Señor Frogs to be open...

P5250084-4.jpg

P5250085-5.jpg

I'm so glad my chauffeur brought my boat and helicopter down for me! I was starting to feel too cramped on this cruise ship! Seriously, this is the Atessa IV, one of the largest private mega-yachts in the world. It is owned by American industrialist Dennis Washington

Our excursion for the day was with Godfrey’s on their shopping/sightseeing/beach tour. Our last time here we did a 2 tank scuba dive off of Coki Beach which was great but we really didn’t see anything outside of our drive to Coki Beach (and Coral World). In addition to being a camera geek, I’m also a watch geek. I would not classify 99% of my watches as anything of real value until Lady Trip bought me a higher end Citizen watch. That started me on getting some better quality watches. Okay, so I can’t afford any Rolex or Patek Philippe watches but there are quite a few midline luxury watches that can be found in my price range. And what better place to go shopping for watches then St. Thomas!

We met Hajjii, our driver right at the gate from the pier. We loaded up onto his truck (a modified pickup truck with several benches mounted where the bed used to be with open air sides. Great for taking photos as you drive around!) A few other couples and a family joined us in the truck. The drive over to the main shopping area of Charlotte Amalie only took a few minutes and he dropped us off with instructions to meet him again in front of the Liberty Bell in a couple hours. It’s shopping time!! Lady Trip is not really a shopper. She’s much more like a typical male when it comes to shopping. Let’s get in, get what you want and get back out. Now Trippette and me…well…we’re like professional grade shoppers. My mum taught me and Trippette (when she was knee high to a grasshopper) the do’s and don’ts of proper shopping. Yes, there is an art form to shopping and we are masters of it.

Lady Trip just took a deep breath and went along for the ride as we dragged her in and out dozens of stores. Thankfully for us, well mainly me…Lady Trip is a great sport and never once complained or even gave us an inkling that she was not enjoying herself. I do love that woman so!

IMG_3786-27.jpg

The streets of Charlotte Amalie

P5250091-11.jpg

P5250092-12.jpg

The police are starting to block off roads...

Any ways, much to my chagrin, I was not able to find a watch that I was looking for. Correction, I was not able to find a watch that I really liked and could afford! The last part is key there. Nonetheless, Trippette was able to find some shirts that she liked and purchased. We loved the bamboo shirts from Cariloha. So soft! While we were strolling the streets of Charlotte Amalie, we noticed that the police were starting to shut streets down to traffic. “What’s going on?” we thought. We then came around the corner onto the main street facing the harbor and there were dozens of military groups in formation with flags waving.

P5250102-19.jpg

P5250105-22.jpg

P5250108-24.jpg

"It's a parade," I shouted! I immediately ran down the street to start taking photographs. I was so excited. How nice it was for them to hold a parade in honor of my birthday! Those crazy kids, they never cease to amaze me! That was, of course, until Lady Trip had to burst my bubble and remind me that today was Memorial Day and no, those crazy kids were not holding a parade in my honor. Since St. Thomas is a US territory, its military forces and ROTC groups celebrate the same holidays. Even though the parade wasn’t held in my honor, it was still neat to watch and a nice little surprise.

Edited by trippingpara

Absolutely wonderful review ! Love the pics ... and you've given me a couple of ideas if we stay in San Juan after our Sunshine cruise in November. Thank you for taking time to put this all together....I know how much work goes into them. :)

Absolutely wonderful review ! Love the pics ... and you've given me a couple of ideas if we stay in San Juan after our Sunshine cruise in November. Thank you for taking time to put this all together....I know how much work goes into them. :)

Thank you very much for the kind words. We also stayed a couple more days in San Juan after the cruise so hopefully I'll have some more possible ideas for you coming up in this review. Thank you again. Cheers!

I knew I liked you and your review for a reason, My birthday is May 25th as well but I was in vegas this year. Happy Belated Birthday!!!!:D

Well, happy belated birthday to you too! Vegas is certainly not a bad place to be celebrating one's birthday!! I can imagine that you celebrated in style!

Shortly after the parade concluded, we strolled along the waterfront back to our meeting spot at the Liberty Bell and waited for Hajjii.

P5250110-26.jpg

DSC00008-29.jpg

The Liberty conducting emergency evacuations drills with their lifeboats

P5250113-33.jpg

A bunch of chickens just chilling in the park

P5250112-32.jpg

The Liberty Bell, our meeting spot for Hajjii.

P5250111-28.jpg

A couple minutes after our scheduled time, Hajjii pulled up and everyone boarded his truck. The next part of our tour was cruising around the island sightseeing. Our first stop was to a small hotel that overlooked Charlotte Amalie and the bay.

DSC00015-38.jpg

DSC00020-41.jpg

DSC00024-45.jpg

Once everybody took the obligatory photos of the ship and the beautiful bay, we were off for Mountain Top for some more incredible scenery as well as an awesome (and free!) banana daiquiri (it was included in the tour). YUM!!!

DSC00041-56.jpg

DSC00029-50.jpg

DSC00039-54.jpg

DSC00032-51.jpg

DSC00042-57.jpg

Hubba-hubba!

DSC00056-69.jpg

…we then stopped at St. Peter’s Great House and Botanical Gardens and got some free rum punch along with a ton more photos.

IMG_3804-80.jpg

DSC00049-64.jpg

DSC00050-65.jpg

The staff at St. Peter's Great House were preparing for a wedding but they let us hang out for a little bit as long as we didn't mess with anything. Sure looked like an incredible place to get married!

Loving the review....and the photos are wonderful.

Quick question about San Juan - you have a picture coming into SJ while you were on a ferry - the hotel I have booked is showing in the picture (Sheraton) -is the pharmacy you were talking about close to there???