Boston T Fares

NickAndysMom

jumping in here with another question, we will be in boston on liberty of the seas. we would pick up the silver line at the port area paying 2.65 for me and DH and son 11 would be free.

we would then take it to south station to purchase the all day pass for $12 each. Is 11 yr old still free or will he need a pass too. then take the grey line to boyleston to switch to greenline and get off at kenmore station for fenway,

then take the greenline back to boyleston station to walk around the boston area. then back to the silver line to get back to port.

now, would it be cheaper to pay various off/on prices or more convenient to buy the all day pass. if i have this figured right we will pay at the port,at fenway and a 3rd time at boyleston to go back to port no payment to switch at boyleston from silver to greenline.

Also, how quick is the T and does it matter day of week or time it is extremely slow. We will be there on a saturday

Thanks for any info and help!!

Don't do the Silver (not grey) line from South Station, take the Red Line to Downtown Crossing or to Park Street and walk from there, you're about a 5 minute walk to the Boylston station from either stop. Or you can transfer at Park Street to a Green Line train to Boylston. Silver line by itself would require 3 different vehicles: SL2 to SL4 to SL5

subway-spider.jpg

Depending on which weekend you are here the trains should be relatively uncrowded and quick. Holidays, events, baseball games, etc can change crowds significantly.

Edited by Nitemare

jumping in here with another question, we will be in boston on liberty of the seas. we would pick up the silver line at the port area paying 2.65 for me and DH and son 11 would be free.

we would then take it to south station to purchase the all day pass for $12 each. Is 11 yr old still free or will he need a pass too. then take the grey line to boyleston to switch to greenline and get off at kenmore station for fenway,

then take the greenline back to boyleston station to walk around the boston area. then back to the silver line to get back to port.

now, would it be cheaper to pay various off/on prices or more convenient to buy the all day pass. if i have this figured right we will pay at the port,at fenway and a 3rd time at boyleston to go back to port no payment to switch at boyleston from silver to greenline.

Also, how quick is the T and does it matter day of week or time it is extremely slow. We will be there on a saturday

Thanks for any info and help!!

Given what you want to do, it makes no sense to spend $5.30 plus another $24 for a day pass because you can't buy the day pass within the turnstile boundaries at South Station. You can go all the way to Kenmore on the first $5.30. At South Station you do the free transfer to the Red Line direction Alewife and go two stops to Park Street. If you're waiting on the Red Line platform here, walk down the platform towards the back of the train. At Park Street get on the Outbound Green Line Platform and take any B, C, or D trolley to Kenmore. When you come back you can buy a Charlie Ticket from the ticket machine at Kenmore for $10.60 (cash or credit card - press "more" to get to the screen where you can enter the exact amount). One person can go through the turnstile with your son and pass the ticket back for the other person to go through.

Edited by 138east

If you don't mind my asking, is there a reason you want to get off at Boylston? There is really nothing there. If you want to walk around, I suggest getting off at either Copley or Arlington. Both are nice areas. At Copley, you can stroll down Boylston Street or Newbury Street (Boston's Rodeo Drive). Arlington is close to the Public Garden and at one end of Newbury Street. Lots of shops, restaurants.

Thank you for the info everyone. As to the Boylston station it just looked as if it were near center area of things to do in Boston, ie freedom trail and the likes. guessing changing directions a little. appreciate the advice.

Thank you for the info everyone. As to the Boylston station it just looked as if it were near center area of things to do in Boston, ie freedom trail and the likes. guessing changing directions a little. appreciate the advice.

The Freedom Trail starts near Park St. You can follow it to Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market. The distances between T Stations are very short in Downtown Boston. Do some research as to what you want to do. Your child may be more interested in Quincy Market than Newbury St.

What would be the best way to go from the Black Falcon Cruise terminal to the Aquarium whale watch....How long do you think it would take..

Are their also taxi available? Cost?

Thank you

What would be the best way to go from the Black Falcon Cruise terminal to the Aquarium whale watch....How long do you think it would take..

Thank you

Regular taxis are readily available. There are also water taxis that serve Black Falcon and the Aquarium or nearby Long Wharf.

You can also take the T: Silver Line from Black Falcon to South Station, then go one stop on the Red Line, one stop on the Orange Line, and one stop on the Blue Line, to Aquarium Station. That's a lot of transfers between subway lines, for short subway rides. I suggest you use Google Maps to evaluate walking times from subway stations to the Aquarium. For instance, you could skip the Blue Line and just walk down State Street from State Street Station to the Aquarium.

Depending on how you feel about walking, you may find it a lot more efficient to walk part of the way rather than taking all three short subway rides. If you take the Silver Line (bus) from Black Falcon to South Station, then it's about a 20 minute walk to the Aquarium; skipping the subway.

Regular taxis (on the street) and water taxis offer a single ride right to the Aquarium or an adjacent wharf. Rowes Wharf water taxi and Boston Harbor Cruises water taxi, for instance, both serve the cruise terminal and the Aquarium. For the Rowes Wharf water taxi, it's $35 round trip between Black Falcon and the inner harbor (where the Aquarium is).

Edited by Blue Mudshark

Thank you

What date and time do you arrive? What time does the excursion leave?

A taxi would be the best - it should be a quick 10 minute ride in the $12 range. Going by T is more complicated from Black Falcon - Silver Line to the Red Line to the Orange Line to the Blue Line. Post back if you want the T directions.

thanks for the info

we arrive on the Liberty of the Sea August 29th early 7 am-

We are thinking of doing the whale watch from the Aquarium at 10 am or 11 am....

Taxi seems the easiest way....

• 1 month later...

not sure of minimum age--probably 62 or 65. I had to go to Downtown Crossing Station--there is a big office there where they took my picture and I had to get a special card for a senior Charlie Card. Think the ride is like $.70 cents(a least that is what I noticed on the bus) Good deal once you make the effort to get the card.

not sure of minimum age--probably 62 or 65. I had to go to Downtown Crossing Station--there is a big office there where they took my picture and I had to get a special card for a senior Charlie Card.
It's 65 and over, as 138east explained earlier in this thread (see post #21). We went straight to the Charlie Store from the airport on a Thursday afternoon and waited over an hour and a half to get a senior card. It is really not a pleasant place to spend that much of one's vacation time. :(