Newbie Question

Bumpbailey

We're taking our first cruise in August to the Western Med - Norwegian Epic. From what I've read, veteran cruisers can't say enough about how hard the crews work and how long they are at sea away from their families (and how little they are paid). Just wondering: in addition to tipping, is there anything particularly American that these staff members might appreciate? For example, American music or food or sports paraphernalia? Just thinking about tucking something into our suitcases that might be a nice thing to give in addition to a tip. Any thoughts? Anyone ever done this?

I've never thought about giving an actual gift to a crew member, we just tip extra for those that go above and beyond. I think that is what they appreciate the most as far as anything material, since it helps their families.

Another thing crew members love is when you engage in conversation with them and ask them about their home countries and their families. I've found that they really love that.

You will see a few passengers treating some crew members terribly, especially servers in restaurants. I find this very upsetting. Being polite and respectful to the crew members is something I'm sure they appreciate very much. This is something we always do as well, we make sure we are polite, respectful passengers because we understand that the crew works so hard to try and make everyone happy. Even if there is an issue with something, we are always respectful when speaking to someone about it.

Edited by bangzoom6877

The most appreciated "ambassador gifts" are U.S. dollars. While we are pleasant, courteous, grateful, and polite when talking to crew, we refrain from prolonged conversations because these folks have jobs to do. Plus, it always feels like a one-side conversation.

From my experience in the service industry, a smile, nod, and thank you is enough to show your appreciation, together with a tip because to you this is vacation, but to me it is a job that I am doing for the paycheck.

We're taking our first cruise in August to the Western Med - Norwegian Epic. From what I've read, veteran cruisers can't say enough about how hard the crews work and how long they are at sea away from their families (and how little they are paid). Just wondering: in addition to tipping, is there anything particularly American that these staff members might appreciate? For example, American music or food or sports paraphernalia? Just thinking about tucking something into our suitcases that might be a nice thing to give in addition to a tip. Any thoughts? Anyone ever done this?

Although crew members would smile and thank you for a gift, that is no guarantee they'd actually appreciate it since their cabins are so small and crowded there is little room for extras. And since you have no way of knowing what a particular crew member might like, it is better to give them instead the money you would have spent on the gift.

Edited by NMLady

Best thing you can do for staff is keep a list of those you encounter that go the extra mile for you, fill out comment cards for them, and mention them in your Post Cruise Survey. If someone is really outstanding write a letter to Corporate Headquarters in Miami. The address is on the website.

When we disembark, all the leftover bucket drinks, complementary wine, and the remainder of any liquor I might have purchased for the suite goes to the room steward and Butler. They seem to like that idea, especially the liquor.;)