Just Double Checking Pickup Point Skagway

BrnBrok

We are using Chilkoot Charters for a tour in Skagway. We were told that on the Grand Princess we have to walk over a pedestrian bridge to a red weather shack. Does this sound correct? How far a walk might this be once off the ship? Any map/photos of the shack?

We are using Chilkoot Charters for a tour in Skagway. We were told that on the Grand Princess we have to walk over a pedestrian bridge to a red weather shack. Does this sound correct? How far a walk might this be once off the ship? Any map/photos of the shack?

What dock are you at? Chilkoot picks up at the end of Ore and RR. I've seen the vans many times, including the same this year. Have no clue what bridge you are talking about- as there aren't any "bridges", but walking on piers = some I guess could be called a bridge? There are also "shacks" at the ends of all the docks.

All you have to do- is be a little early (you want to be anyway so you have a better choice of seats, if doing the van first), and look for the vans- find a Chilkoot van and ask. They will direct you.

We just did that this month with Chilkoot tours. It is very close, just walk off the ship, to the end of the pier then you will walk thru the security area. The waiting area is immediately after you go out of the secure area. There will be lots of people standing there with signs for tours one will say Chilkoot. There is a red building to the left. You can not miss it. I don't remember any bridge. We had a great tour with them!!

I believe we will be at the Ore Dock. Sorry that I called it a bridge (not one in the sense of a large bridge carrying cars) But I believe that the instructions were to

proceed to the red weather shelter located across the footbridge in the parking lot next to the cruise ship. Anyway just wondering how far that red shelter might be from the cruise dock itself.

I believe we will be at the Ore Dock. Sorry that I called it a bridge (not one in the sense of a large bridge carrying cars) But I believe that the instructions were to

proceed to the red weather shelter located across the footbridge in the parking lot next to the cruise ship. Anyway just wondering how far that red shelter might be from the cruise dock itself.

Just get off the ship and look for it. It is very close and easy to spot. We did a Chilkoot tour when we were docked at the Ore dock, and it was very close and easy to find. Don't worry about it - it is easier than you think!

The Grand Princess docks at the Ore Dock on the NB trip - every other Tuesday. She docks at the RR dock forward on the SB trip - every other Wed.

There is a red caboose at the end of the RR dock - it is the WP&YRR gift shop. There is also a red shack further down the dock.

The Ore dock sticks out into the bay further than the Broadway dock next to it - so there is a longer walk.

When I took a Chilkoot tour in '12, we were at the Broadway Dock - they had a van there to meet both ships docked there. We then went over near the Railroad dock - I think it was close to where the red shack is.

I have attached some photos showing the red shack on the RR dock and the relative positions of the Ore and Broadway docks (the railroad dock is further right) The second photo was taken from the Broadway Dock looking to the RR dock - I think the van there is a Chilkoot one.

skagwayalaska.jpg.02be8df11ae2bf28400dbcc852c5932f.jpg

051.jpg.4550bd4eca2296b2660e0728dcb8ff57.jpg

If you are at the Ore dock, it is 2 minutes past the ship off ramps, to the pick up area. As I said- it will not be hard to find. Chilkoot will be there with several vans, ask one and you will be directed to your tour.

Thanks to all for the information and photos. I now have a better sense of where to meet my tour. We give ourselves some extra time as we deal with some mobility issues. Can walk, but must rest.