Thomson v P. & O

Hi, returned from our first P. & O cruise onboard Oriana (10 day Iberia)

on June 6th.

Apologies for delay in reporting back our observations, just been so busy with work etc etc since we got back.

Will submit a full review ASAP, but meantime am delighted to report that we absolutely loved Oriana, had a wonderful cruise with our three friends (who joined us on the Dream in 2013), and you were so right Kruzseeka, sailing from Southampton for the first time was indeed such a joy - no getting up at silly o'clock for Airport check-in, no luggage restrictions or flight delays!

I almost feel guilty expressing such enthusiasm for Oriana, as I love the Dream and hold such fond memories of our three cruises on her, but I must admit I was pleasantly surprised how much we and our friends enjoyed the new experience. - however, much to my surprise, my husband shared that although he was very impressed with Oriana, he actually preferred the Dream

- he felt the ambience on Oriana didn't match the Dream. (I felt it was pretty much the same, with really friendly crew and passengers (well, most of them -- did encounter one or two "cruise snobs" but we took no notice!!- each to his own)

Will do a full like for like constructive comparison when time permits.

Hi, returned from our first P. & O cruise onboard Oriana (10 day Iberia)

on June 6th.

Apologies for delay in reporting back our observations, just been so busy with work etc etc since we got back.

Will submit a full review ASAP, but meantime am delighted to report that we absolutely loved Oriana, had a wonderful cruise with our three friends (who joined us on the Dream in 2013), and you were so right Kruzseeka, sailing from Southampton for the first time was indeed such a joy - no getting up at silly o'clock for Airport check-in, no luggage restrictions or flight delays!

I almost feel guilty expressing such enthusiasm for Oriana, as I love the Dream and hold such fond memories of our three cruises on her, but I must admit I was pleasantly surprised how much we and our friends enjoyed the new experience. - however, much to my surprise, my husband shared that although he was very impressed with Oriana, he actually preferred the Dream

- he felt the ambience on Oriana didn't match the Dream. (I felt it was pretty much the same, with really friendly crew and passengers (well, most of them -- did encounter one or two "cruise snobs" but we took no notice!!- each to his own)

Will do a full like for like constructive comparison when time permits.

So pleased you enjoyed your cruise :) - you've certainly not been missing much weather-wise here!!!!!! (The winds have been awful!! ) :( After traipsing up to Gatwick for a week's trip to Santorini recently - I'm definitely looking forward to the next trip from Southampton!!!

Will look forward to hearing more about it in due course. ;)

Edited by kruzseeka

• 1 month later...

Went on the Dream at the end of May and have just returned from a week on Brittania to the Norwegian fjords. Booked online relatively late but was a good deal with an outside balcony. Did pay for the coach trip to Southampton as well. Unlike Harwich or Newcastle ports Southampton is much larger and clearly geared up for volume. Even so it is slow but security is much beefed up. Once aboard you were simply told to find your own room and what floor it was on. The problem is there are no stairs in the middle of the ship and it is a very long walk to either end. However room was very nice and the glass door on the shower was better. Luggage turned up inside the room very quickly.

Went to the lido and was impressed with the set up and choice of food. Plenty of space but on sea days was crowded. We had freedom dining in the allocated Meridian restaurant. Choice was limited compared to Thomsons but service was slow. However food was very hot when served. Slighly annoying in having to ask every night for a table for 2 when they would clearly like you to share a larger table.

Shops and facilities were very swish but expensive. Photographs were obtained from many computer terminals where you find your own and could order there and then. Good cinema on board with latest release, Many films were available in your cabin via state of the art large flat screen Tv. Entertainment was varied but the theatre put on first class shows due to the size of the stage and latest technology. Good ventriloquist. Rather camp Cruise director and not very visible entertainments team. Could not decide whether it was not required by passengers or seen as down market. There was a pub onboard which held quizzes and seemed popular.

Excursions - same as anywhere with excursions team not very helpful

In summary hard to compare large ship with over 4000 passengers to any of Thomson's ships and whilst facilities on Brittania were clearly better including food there was a lack of genuine warmth from the staff and there was on overall lack of ambience. The Thomson game shows whilst dated do generate a good spirit though the ship. Happy to go one either brand if the price is right. Drinks were expensive on board and clearly all inclusive not pushed as passengers prepared to pay full prices.

I am so glad you enjoyed your cruise.

We have tended to cruise with Thomson but in January 2015 I finally persuaded Mrs Len to go on a P&O cruise. We did 14 nights on the Oriana to The Canaries.

Basically we thought there were plenty of similarities. We both said we would go on P&O again because a "British" cruise would be preferred to say an American ship.

However, my first choice would be P&O because I felt the entertainment, food & hotel services were marginally better. Mrs Len prefers Thomson because she likes the atmosphere, the informality, not being told what to wear in the evenings and not having P&O's regimentation (You had to eat at a specific time and then attend shows etc. that followed this pattern. The P&O short stride shuffle between entertainment venues was quite amusing.)

We both enjoyed P&O for something different. Some friends who are P&O fans are now admitting that their cruises are becoming repetitive.

This June we both enjoyed a beach holiday in Corfu so much that we are thinking of cruising less.

Len

• 2 weeks later...