New :) Britannia 18th July! questions

donnalouise9

New here and new to cruising. I'm a single parent taking my 7 year old on a cruise, first time for both of us, going to Norway on 18th July. I only booked two days ago, so pretty last minute, got a balcony cabin D132, hope it will be OK!

Really excited to see the Fjords, as well as the cruising bit too. A bit overwhelmed with all the information and things to consider and plan for.

Can someone tell me how the kids club work on Britannia? Do you have to prebook times, i can't see anywhere to do that, or do you just turn up? I'd like to book myself a massage but obviously only if i can get my daughter into the kids club.

Also, i have no idea what i need to pack for clothing, i am guessing it will be a little chilly even in the middle of summer, on the sea around Norway?

I'm terribly confused too about the myriad of dining options that seem to be available... do i have to book dining through the personaliser site or do we just turn up on the day? Does everyone wear smart clothes for dinner on non-formal nights or can you go in jeans?

Hi - I can't answer about the kids club. every day you will get a Horizon newspaper telling you the dress code for the evening. There will be some formal nights, and some casual nights. Jeans are not allowed in the main dining rooms.

Yes I would think you need layers of clothes for the weather around Norway.

Do you have Club Dining or Freedom Dining? Or maybe you don't know yet?

Hi Donna louise, i would advise waiting til you get onboard before you book your massage as there are always offers once you are onboard, eg book a facial and massage for quite a reduced price! Offers are listed in the Horizon paper you get every day.

Sorry can't help with the kids club but I'm sure somone here can help you.

Re the dining you just turn up at your allotted dining room or you go to the self service buffet and then you can dress more casually. The restaurants you can book on the Personaliser are the pay extra ones and you don't have to use them if you don't want to.

Thank you SO much for your help everyone.

We have freedom dining booked. I'd like my daughter to experience formal dining once if we can, the rest of the time we'll look at going to the buffet i think.

That's good news re. the kids club, my daughter is really looking forward to it and i wouldn't want her to miss out (but not sure what i'll do with myself once she is there - not used to having free time!).

Thanks again. :)

Hi,I took too many clothes on Britannia in April! People did get quite dressed up on the formal nights. On the casual nights I found quite a lot of the ladies wore a dress with wrap/cardi . My other half did wear dark navy designer jeans with striped shirts on casual nights but I didn't see any women wearing jeans. During the day there were lots of capri/cropped pants and a smart casual t-shirt. I found a fleece and a gillet a good idea plus a beach dress to wear over swimwear. I will take a capsule wardrobe when I go on the Britannia again mainly of navy and white for during the day. Have a great time.

Whilst you can book speciality restaurants, excursions and spa treatments, there is no need to book anything before you go, just think about what you are going to pack. Layers are good for Norway. Just like summer here, in July we have experienced hot sunny weather, and rain with a biting wind, so it really could be anything.

As already said, regarding the kids club there should be a welcome pack in your cabin when you board. There is also a daily guide delivered to your room every evening with the next day's events (not kids club) but the one when you embark will tell you when the Kids club is open that day to register your daughter. The number of children on each cruise is limited in each age group so that all those on board can be accommodated, so don't worry about not being able to get in.

I have heard really good things from families travelling with a single parent. I am sure your daughter will enjoy the dining room so don't go with the intention of limiting yourself to the buffet on most nights. Freedom dining gives you the opportunity to go with the flow and do what suits both of you each day. P&O also offer a kids tea. This is in the buffet at 5pm (from memory) and allows you to take your daughter for an early meal before she heads off to the kids club evening activities. You could then enjoy a meal in the dining room chatting to other adults, if you wished. If you both wish to dine in the dining room and your daughter finds the dinner time drags, can be almost two hours on a chatty table, whilst enjoyable for adults maybe not so much for children, you can request a table for two which would allow you a bit more control time wise.

My best advice would be just go and enjoy yourself, i am sure you will both have a great time.

When my daughter was a similar age we took her on her first cruise and she loved the kids club and the formal dining, however often the waiters would let her eat out of sequence so she could get away early and go and watch movies and play games with her new found friends whilst we enjoyed a relaxed dinner and adult conversation. We would generally pick her up fairly late and sometimes she would be asleep on a beanbag, but she had a great time.

Edited by Triplalot

Lots of helpful tips here, thanks, especially knowing what kind of clothes to pack, i would have ended up packing everything i own just to be sure :D

Good to know, re the kids clubs too, my daughter is really outgoing and i think will love the club. I won't know what to do with myself with the spare time, i think i forgot how to act like an adult!

I've booked a couple of excursions already, and just sorted out my travel insurance and parking. Not going to book anything else until i get on board now. Pleasantly surprised to find we have 250.00 of onboard credit between us to spend too (i thought that when i chose the free parking option that this was instead of onboard credit, but i seem to have both free parking and credit).

Right, i'm all ready to go now - wish we were leaving tomorrow!

Hi donnalouise9, i am so glad you started that thread. I am new to this site and not even sure if i am using it correctly. We sail on June 27th. I have also felt as confused as you but after reading some of this information it helps.

My hubby and I are on our first holiday with kids in 20 years so it will feel strange. We have gone for freedom dining also. I need to look at trips but want to try and book the railway at Flam direct as i think it saves alot of money.

I will post if i find anything which might help you.

Redroseqq:)