Whatsapp for calls

C U ON BOARD

I searched the boards but didn't find the answer I was looking for. We will be on the Sunshine. When you sign up for the $25 internet package it has an app called whatsapp it has a calling feature. I know you can use it to text but has anyone used this app and called home while on a cruise and had no extra charges? My DD thinks she needs to talk with her boyfriend:eek: LOL

You shouldn't incur any extra charges as far as WhatsApp is concerned. The calling funtion is a free feature built into WhatsApp itself. I hear that the WhatsApp "app" you will be using is built into the Carnival onboard app itself. Hopefully Carnival left the calling function of WhatsApp alone. I would ask Carnival straight up if there are any additional fees. I would bet that it is free but I don't know that for certain.

Edited by delerium98

I used the Whatsapp texting feature on my last 3 cruises and it worked great. Both to husband at home and kids on the ship.

I'm familiar with the ap - but how did you make it work? Bought internet package for all family members? I'm confused - but if I can figure it out I think this would be a great way to communicate with kids on ship.

Thanks!

I thought Viper was just a sound/music app. You can call with it? Hmm.

I was supposed to type "Viber" not viper. Not sure if that's different. My wife uses it all the time to call family in Ireland at no cost.

I'm familiar with the ap - but how did you make it work? Bought internet package for all family members? I'm confused - but if I can figure it out I think this would be a great way to communicate with kids on ship.

Thanks!

Each phone/device you want to communicate with on the ship will have to pay for the internet package. Just a side note, if you use iPhone's you don't need Whatsapp because they use iMessage but still have to buy the internet package. Three of us have iPhone's but my son has a Droid so he and I used Whatsapp and the rest of us used iMessage.

Each phone/device you want to communicate with on the ship will have to pay for the internet package. Just a side note, if you use iPhone's you don't need Whatsapp because they use iMessage but still have to buy the internet package. Three of us have iPhone's but my son has a Droid so he and I used Whatsapp and the rest of us used iMessage.

Hi - Did you have to buy the $25 internet package or could you use iMessage with the $5 package?

Hi - Did you have to buy the $25 internet package or could you use iMessage with the $5 package?

It's $5 per day or $25 per cruise for the social package. iMessage will work with that package whichever way you choose to purchase it