So I talked with Steve @ Trip Insurance Store

This is just information. If it interests you read it, if not please just move on, no comments needed unless they can add to the information.

Thank you.

I've seen the recommendation to talk Steve at Trip Insurance Store, so today I did.

In the past we have considered ourselves self insured for trip costs, so we just bought medical and evacuation insurance.

From what Steve told me, there is no insurance that he sells, or any that he knows of, that will cover pre-existing conditions unless you buy the insurance within 14-21 days of booking, and buy the insurance that covers the trip costs.

Steve said that the insurance I have been buying, including insurance I bought from his website in the past, will not cover our medical, due to pre-existing conditions, because I did not also buy insurance to cover trip costs.

Steve said he would look into HTH Travel Gap Gold and get back to me in the next week or two.

So that is where we are today. Our primary is Medicare and secondary is from the company that DH retired from. I do know that the secondary will cover us out of the US, but I don't know how much they will cover.Tomorrow I will call them and see how much medical they cover, and what out of pocket would be.

Before I get responses that I should have read the policy info, I did, I obviously didn't understand it.

We too have Medicare and Blue Cross through our pension plan, and we both have pre-existing conditions. And finding adequate coverage is a hassle.

For me the tricky part is making sure that ALL non-refundable expenses are covered. That means adding in hotel expenses that are refundable up to point.

And even shore excursions.

We used the Blue Cross once when we were docked in FLL (on a Dutch ship) and they paid with no problem.

I called Celebrity's insurance company and talked to a rep. She said that if we added their insurance when we made our final cruise payment there was a 90 day look back window of no new medical diagnoses or prescription changes in order for the pre-existing rider to count. No way I can be sure my prescriptions won't be changed.

We just bite the bullet and buy our insurance as soon as we book a trip. And then increase the amount of coverage if need be.

Good luck!

Edited by tangerinebunny

I believe you and Steve had a communications breakdown. The key to the discussion is the definition of a "pre-existing" condition....and the policies are very clear on their definitions. Policies do differ in their definition and their "look back period".

If you have a chronic condition that is stable..that is, you have not changed medication or treatment of the condition or had any special trips to your doctor within the look back period, then you do NOT have a pre-existing condition.

Example....You have atrial arrhythmia and you have been on the same medications for over a year (or whatever the look back period is on your policy) with only routine checkups and routine tests, you do NOT have a pre-existing condition according to the policy. Yes, of course you still have a long time condition, but it is not considered a pre-existing condition by the definition in the policy.

If you are, however, on warfarin and tested regularly and they change the dosage during the look back period, you DO have a pre-existing condition. If you are on one of the new anti coagulants with no testing and no change in dosage during the look back period, you DON'T have a pre-exisiting condition.

Now the reality. if you have a claim for a heart problem that occurs during your trip, the insurance company will claim that it was due to a pre-existing condition and refuse the claim...but that's normal in the insurance business....your claim will be turned down based on almost anything they can think of. Even if you don't have a pre-existing condition, the insurance company will very likely claim that you should have known there was a problem and seen a doctor and they will try to disallow the claim.

I don't know your medical "conditions", but if they are stable, as I've defined above, I suggest that you call Steve back and discuss again.

So that is where we are today. Our primary is Medicare and secondary is from the company that DH retired from. I do know that the secondary will cover us out of the US, but I don't know how much they will cover.Tomorrow I will call them and see how much medical they cover, and what out of pocket would be.

I also have employer provided medical insurance that covers outside of the US.

I called and asked very specific questions. (United HealthCare and now BC/BS)

1. Will you provide coverage outside the US?

Yes. Will only reimburse at Out of Network rates.

2. Will you cover medical evacuation from a ship.

Yes, to the nearest facility that can provide treatment. Just like an ambulance after an auto wreck.

3. If the hospital or care giver requires up front payment and I can't pay, will you provide up front payment or a letter showing ability to pay?

No

4. If they saved my life, but I need continuation of care and I want that closer to home. Will you pay for travel back to the States?

No

5. If I die, will you pay to have my remains returned to the States?

No

These are some of the reasons why I still get medical coverage when travelling. It's also why I joined Med Jet Assist.

CSA Custom Luxe will waive the pre-existing conditons clause if the insurance is purchased within 24 hours of FINAL payment as opposed to initial deposit. This is a comprehensive policy and requires 100% of trip cost to be insured. I think the OP is looking for a medical-only policy.

However, the OP has highlighted my greatest fear - that despite my best efforts I have overlooked or misread even a sinlge phrase or word choice that can greatly impact whether claims are paid.

I do appreciate the post that provided answers to specific questions about what you can expect from your regular health insurance. People often mistakenly think it is enough, but those answers point out some crucial shortcomings of relying only on your existing coverage. Travel insurance is a separate category designed to deal with those circumstances.

I called the secondary from company DH retired from. They will cover up to $1M with our max out of pocket $3,450. That was a relief.

They do not cover evacuation which I had already figured. It will also be after the fact, so will be sure to have a credit card with a high limit and nothing on it.

I also talked to MedJet. Our current MedJet expires 3/26/2016. She told me to call in January to get the forms for my doctor to fill in and submit for MedJet's Diamond since I turn 75 in October. MedJet will have to approve (or not) the next years.

I agree with ghstudio. I am really not sure of the conversation with Steve. I do hope he does check on the HTH Travel Gap. On paper it looks good.

Something I also learned... Cruise Care-

What I have read is that unless you pay in full the amount that CC insurance charges at the time you book the cruise, in addition to your deposit, or within (I believe it was) 14 or 21 days, it does not cover pre-existing conditions. Now if what I read is true and actual, I don't know.

OK, my pre-existing- Fuller disclosure here.

I have dilated cardiomyopathy caused by a viral infection. According to my then cardiologist (who diagnosed it in the late 90's) I was supposed to be terminal by 2000. It was the "there is nothing we can do" speech.

All it did was pi$$ me off and I went searching for another cardiologist and an electrophysiologist. I have had an implanted defibrillator and pacemaker combo since April 1, 2003. My current device was implanted July 21, 2009.

This is an "electrical" problem not a "plumbing" problem like cardiovascular disease.

If I hear anything with more information from Steve I will post.

Babr- you are correct, I don't need to cover the flights and cruise costs, we consider ourselves self insured for travel costs.

I really appreciate the valuable posts that have been made on this thread.

Thank you.

Edited by SPacificbound