Current Promotion OBC vs Online Agent's OBC

bcd2010

I called an online agent that specializes in cruises (it's quite well-known on CC) to book a cruise - first time using an online agent. She said I would get an OBC and Dine Around package. When I looked it up, these come from various HAL promotions.

I was under the impression from what I've read here that such agencies also give you an OBC that offsets the price of the cruise by 8-10%, which is one of the reasons for using them. What do you think I should do? Should I tell her what I know and ask for an OBC from the agency?

Edited by bcd2010

I called an online agent that specializes in cruises (it's quite well-known on CC) to book a cruise - first time using an online agent. She said I would get an OBC and Dine Around package. When I looked it up, these come from various HAL promotions.

I was under the impression from what I've read here that such agencies also give you an OBC that offsets the price of the cruise by 8-10%, which is one of the reasons for using them. What do you think I should do? Should I tell her what I know and ask for an OBC from the agency?

I have wondered about what you seem to suspect, that some of the great OBC that people brag about getting from their TAs really just come from various HAL promotions. WOuld be interesting to do a true comparison.

My recent booking with the big box TA got the HAL anniversary promotion plus about 8% OBC from the TA. However, another big online agency that does a lot of TV ads for hotels, offered the HAL promotion and a very small OBC. I told them what the other agency offered and the response was "we can never match ......" Must be the volume that the big box books. So it pays to shop around the agencies.

However, it comes at a cost. I had to be waitlisted for set dining. My usual PCC bookings always come thru with a clearance of waitlists by sailing date, so we will see. Not a big deal, just an annoyance.

I have wondered about what you seem to suspect, that some of the great OBC that people brag about getting from their TAs really just come from various HAL promotions. WOuld be interesting to do a true comparison.

We often get both an OBC from both HAL & an OBC from our Agent in addition to paying a lower fare.. Agree you have to shop around..

The Holland America credits and promos are typically available regardless of how you book. Some agencies sweeten the deal with extra perks or onboard credits. Our usual TA simply charges a lower price. You have to decide what works best for you; but do it before you book, not after.