Fishlips equivalent in Port Everglades

dlong1969

Good afternoon

We usually cruise out of Port Canaveral....

Part of our pre-cruise rituals is to get to Florida is to get there a day early and go up to FishLips in Port Canaveral to watch the ships leave.

This year, we are cruising out of Port Everglades. We haven't cruised out of this port since 2009, so it's kinda hard to remember what is there.

A few questions:

1) For those of you familiar with both ports, is there an equivalent in Port Everglades to Fishlips Bar and Grill in Port Canaveral? We would love to be able to watch the ships leave while sipping on a cold one, eating conch fritters, like we usually do from Port Canaveral.

2) Is it possible to "not rent a car"? We are thinking about booking a hotel that will allow have both airport pickup and port drop off.... is that feasible?

3) What recommendations do you have for hotels? When cruising from Port Canaveral, we stay at the Radisson Oceantfront in Melbourne. We are looking for something like this.

Thanks in advance!

Don

For your question #1, the answer is no to the best of my knowledge. Before 9/11, there was a wonderful restaurant, if not a bit expensive, right at the end of the pier where Terminals 25 and 26 are. Closing the Port to casual, none cruise/cargo oriented traffic ended its existance. (Along with maybe perhaps other reasons.) There used to be a revolving lounge at the top of Hyatt Pier 66 with an observation platform on which one could go to watch the port activity. A change in ownership of the hotel led to that closing (and the loss of my personal business, for whatever that is worth.)

Maybe the local Fort Lauderdale residents who frequent CC will be able to give you some positive suggestions.

As to your other questions, I patronize Marriott properties and cannot offer specific recommendations to your concerns.

Sailing out of Port Everglades is a wonderful way to begin a cruise! Enjoy!

Unfortunately, no Fishlips equivalent. Too bad, I think such a place would do great. Not a lot of suitable locations for it though, and I don't think the Harbor Isles folk (the condos on the north side of the port inlet) would want a restaurant on the water there (at least, not one open to outsiders lol).

There are lots of hotels in areas that you don't need a car. Embassy Suites and a few others along 17th St. Also, a cluster of them over near Oakwood Shopping centre at Stirling Rd and I-95. Both areas have lots of shopping and dining within walking distance. The latter group tend to have more shuttle offerings, for both airport and port, although many are also charging fees for shuttles now too. Using Google Maps (or Google Earth if you have it) and looking at the area will give you a broad selection of hotels that you can then follow up with. Lots of info on these pages for hotels around the area.

There are no restaurants at the port.

The beachfront hotels don't have shuttles. The Radisson rates at an oceanfront hotel are lower than airport hotels in Ft. Lauderdale.

So you have to decide if you want a beachfront hotel or a hotel with shuttles.

A decent budget hotel at the beach is Bahia Mar. Like most of the hotels, it's right across the street from the beach. Sonesta is right on the beach but usually costs more. Best Western Oceanside is budget priced, but it is a block from the beach. Expect a taxi to these hotels to run around $20 from the airport and to the port.

If you'd rather have a hotel with free shuttles from airport and to port, these have offered that and are ok: Courtyard Dania, Springhill Suites Dania, Hampton Inn SW 12th Ave Ft Lauderdale Airport north. Hampton is near a few restaurants and Winn-Dixie. If a budget motel is good enough, Rodeway Inn offers this too, and might be fine for one night.