wheelchair rental Orcas Island

jackdis

Hi! I'm reaching out for some information for a friend. I'm hoping someone out there can help! Thank you in advance!

They are flying to Seattle, driving to Anacortes, taking the ferry to Orcas Island and driving to Vancouver for the RCCL to Alaska. They have a wheelchair reserved for a member of their party for the cruise, but would really like to have one on Orcas Island.

Does anyone have any personal experience with a reliable company for this? Thank you again!

I would think you would have to rent one in seattle..or somewhere north like northgate area, alderwood mall, etc. there is nothing on orcas..I would bet and even anacortes is a really small town..maybe look at mt vernon or burlington for a health supply store..but again. sounds like a big hassle.

then who would return it? orcas is way too small to have something. you just have a few general stores and such. I would get a reservation and drive onto orcas or fly in...

The population on Orcas is pretty small and I doubt that you would find a rental on the island unless it was thru a church, senior center or medical clinic. I did do a Google search and did come up with these people in Anacortes who may just have one that they might rent...but just a shot in the dark.

http://skagitcyclecenter.com/articles/we-service-wheelchairs-and-walkers-pg444.htm

I would strongly suggest that your friend take their own wheelchair with them, and if they don't have one, purchase one. That way you don't have to waste time trying to find a DME locally who is actually open at the time you need it, pay delivery charges or for a cab to go pick it up, it fits them and they know how to operate it, and the person can use it during all the phases of their trip. There is no charge to gate check a wheelchair on the plane.