Santorini, the boats to Oia are running.

cinnamon

One of the operators charges €20. The other one charges €8.

We used the cheaper one. ;)

What did you have included in our € 8 ticket? Just the ride from the port to Oia? Did you have the return ticket to Oia included as well?

can you remember the name of the boat or company ?

thank you

€8 was for the round trip. Boat to Oia dock, coach up the hill and a coach back to Thira. However, the latest departure from Oia was 1.00 pm. It certainly pays to go early too as Oia gets much more crowded as the morning goes on.

The company was called NSTravel.

This was my blog if you at interested.

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2221851&highlight=not+quite+live+from+rhapsody#

Edited by cinnamon

Is there a way to take a boat to Oia and return by boat to the tender pier? Thanks, m--

I'm afraid I don't know. If you were flexible, you could try by asking when you disembark from the tender at the operator's offices. Then if the answer is no, you could take the provided bus back to Thira.

Is there a way to take a boat to Oia and return by boat to the tender pier? Thanks, m--

We asked this. The 8 Euro boat operator said no, it's "not allowed."

IIRC, some tourist-looking people did get off the boat when it arrived at the tender pier before we boarded. I'm not sure where they came from.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

There was a period when the boats didn't run because the Taxi drivers got a legal injunction or something similar. I thought this was the problem, preventing the boats returning passengers to the tender dock.

That's why I was keen to point out that the boats WERE running in 2015.

Edited by cinnamon

Perhaps the people on the boat coming to the tender dock from Oia were on a private tour? I think there is such a thing, and if I remember correctly, the boat ran up near Oia but didn't let people off. I wouldn't be surprised if the union boatmen of Santorini operated such a tour or perhaps partnered with someone who did.

If someone doesn't like cable cars, a long walk or ride through mule mess or is afraid of waiting too long for the cable car on the way back down, there aren't many options. Perhaps a private tour departs from the ferry dock location, but if so, I think they would need to bring you back to Fira and the cable car, as it's rare for a tender boat to be at the ferry dock to take passengers to a cruise ship. There's a local bus from Fira to the ferry and back, meeting each ferry, but then you'd be taking a bus to the cable car, which adds uncertainty and time. Also, last I looked, there was at least one local rental car place at the ferry port, but the same problem exists - no tenders from there. Also, for both options, you have to ride or drive in a car up and down a very winding, rather slow cliff road to the top of the island. I also would shy away from a local company, not knowing if I would be able to understand their rules, insurance, etc.

Of course, there are the ship's excursions, although from what I've heard, the only way back down after those is by cable car, mule or mule steps. If I didn't mention it before, there is usually at least one ship's excursion that doesn't go up the cliff, instead going to Nea Kamini, for example. There's also a private sailboat excursion you can book, although that doesn't appeal much to cruisers, I suppose! Really, though the cable car is short, and to me, the best way down, even if you have to factor in some wait time if there are lots of ships anchored off the island. I also like the town of Fira - not nearly as much as Oia, but I feel it's certainly worth a half hour to hour look.

I'm not recommending these tour companies, as I haven't used them, but I do know that they exist, so perhaps they could design an affordable tour for you that includes Oia but not the cable:private santorini tours, gold travel, safowi.com, anemos sail boat