Live. Celebrity lover on Holland

lais

Alaska. Juneau

Holland. Westerdam

I'm sitting on my cabin balcony as I see the Solstice coming into port. I immediately jump overboard and swim through the icy cold waters and I am rescued by the Celebrity tender boat. I am brought on board and tucked safely away for the remainder of my vacation.

Later: after my reverie.

I am sitting on my balcony cabin watching the Solstice leave port. I cry.

Alaska. Juneau

Holland. Westerdam

I'm sitting on my cabin balcony as I see the Solstice coming into port. I immediately jump overboard and swim through the icy cold waters and I am rescued by the Celebrity tender boat. I am brought on board and tucked safely away for the remainder of my vacation.

We are considering HAL for Alaska, please say why you feel this way:confused:

Alaska. Juneau

Holland. Westerdam

I got a kick out of this and it is relatable. A number of years ago, before I discovered Celebrity, I did a HAL Oosterdam to Alaska trip. It was a lovely trip, in terms of seeing Alaska, but I did discover HAL just isn't for me. I am thankful I subsequently found Celebrity! Find yourself a beer...you'll be okay.

Old beat up moldy ship. Lack of amenities. The staff are nice but way too busy to give any personalized service. They just do their job and run you over. Lido too small for the amount of people on this ship. Hardly any activities. It's a virus waiting to happen.

The food is good so no complaints there. We order room service instead of trying to even walk through the lido. The MDR is good.

It just doesn't have the same standards or service of Celebrity.

I got a kick out of this and it is relatable. A number of years ago, before I discovered Celebrity, I did a HAL Oosterdam to Alaska trip. It was a lovely trip, in terms of seeing Alaska, but I did discover HAL just isn't for me. I am thankful I subsequently found Celebrity! Find yourself a beer...you'll be okay.

Speaking of beer, I ordered a six pack before we boarded to be waiting in the room. It was there, in a bucket without ice. Six warm beers. When I finally found our room steward I had to explain about getting ice about 3 times. He said "you don't like the beer?" I said I didn't like it warm. It took a couple days but now I have ice everyday.

Old beat up moldy ship. Lack of amenities. The staff are nice but way too busy to give any personalized service. They just do their job and run you over. Lido too small for the amount of people on this ship. Hardly any activities. It's a virus waiting to happen.

The food is good so no complaints there. We order room service instead of trying to even walk through the lido. The MDR is good.

It just doesn't have the same standards or service of Celebrity.

How come nobody labels this person a complainer?? I know, because he isn't talking about the "sacred cow" Celebrity.

Alaska. Juneau

Holland. Westerdam

Thanks for reaffirming what we have felt since our last cruise on HAL. It was not for us again either.

How come nobody labels this person a complainer?? I know, because he isn't talking about the "sacred cow" Celebrity.

I am not a complainer but I am complaining. Look at my other 1600 posts and you won't find me "a complainer".

This ship is substandard. It needs to be scraped. You can feel the spongey floor boards as you walk down the hall. I keep hoping it will make it back to Seattle.

I am not a complainer but I am complaining. Look at my other 1600 posts and you won't find me "a complainer".

This ship is substandard. It needs to be scraped. You can feel the spongey floor boards as you walk down the hall. I keep hoping it will make it back to Seattle.

There were "spongy floor boards" on the Summit last month. I didn't think it was even a big enough issue to MENTION it in my review.

And I am not a Celebrity cheerleader - it was only my first Celebrity cruise.

I think comparing an older HAL ship to an S class Celebrity ship is just unfair. The better comparison would have been with the Millennium.

We have many sailings on both lines and can find no fault with HAL. Of course, we have no qualms about Celebrity, either.

For us, it comes down to price and itinerary. Either way, we are satisfied with the product.

The cheerleaders for various cruise lines crack me up. In the mass market, they all are more the same than they are different.

There were "spongy floor boards" on the Summit last month. I didn't think it was even a big enough issue to MENTION it in my review.

And I am not a Celebrity cheerleader - it was only my first Celebrity cruise.

I have noticed more and more spongy floor boards - or soft spots on Summit over our last few cruises on her. I've never mentioned it in a review or our surveys we receive, but maybe I should have.

I think comparing an older HAL ship to an S class Celebrity ship is just unfair. The better comparison would have been with the Millennium.

Agree. And while I've been on umpteen HAL cruises and only 1 on Celebrity so far I am among the first to say there's no comparison in ship style and layout.

From what I have heard of the M Class ships they would be comparable to HAL's VIsta Class in both size, age, GENERAL layout, etc

Sorry to hear about your experience OP. I've been on Oosterdam several times and love the ship. Wish your experience was closer to what mine have been.

I agree that the older ships need to get into dry dock more often and get refurbished. I was on the Century last year and the best thing Celebrity did was sell her. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned the floor boards.

I agree but It's not just the ship. The main difference for me is in the service, amenities and activities. I wanted to try Holland and now I know it's not for me. Alaska is beautiful.

I agree but It's not just the ship. The main difference for me is in the service, amenities and activities. I wanted to try Holland and now I know it's not for me. Alaska is beautiful.

HAL--Where the blue hairs roam and the lights go out at 9PM:p

Because it is what it is, just the facts.

I get it, if someone makes less than stellar comments about other lines, it's facts. If they make it about Celebrity they are labeled as complainers by the judgmental hypersensitive, cheerleaders of Celebrity.

I get it, if someone makes less than stellar comments about other lines, it's facts. If they make it about Celebrity they are labeled as complainers by the judgmental hypersensitive, cheerleaders of Celebrity.

I posted this on a Celebrity board expressing my love for Celebrity.

For me, holland doesn't live up to MY expectations. I AM a cheerleader for celebrity. Why are you in this board complaining about my complaining?

Maybe you should go over to the holland board and complain to the people over there that are complaining about Holland

Edited by lais

Alaska. Juneau

Holland. Westerdam

So sorry to hear that you are not having a great experience on HAL.

We are not HAL cheerleaders but we do love HAL for the ambiance and have found the crew to be great on all of our HAL cruises.

I just posted on this board about trying the Reflection vs. Westerdam, posted on HAL and Celebrity and then decided to choose HAL. Now a lot of the comments have me reconsidering my choice. I can still change.

We have been in port on a RCI ship and dreamed, like you, of being on the HAL ship parked next to us. We haven't tried Celebrity yet. I just got a call from a Celebrity PCC and I told him I might switch. Still on the fence.

RCI has gorgeous ships but the food just doesn't compare to HAL in our opinion. I have heard that Celebrity is closer to HAL in the food category. We love the food in the Lido on HAL. Love that you can get a made to order omelet for breakfast and I love the oriental style "flavors of other countries and of course the "famous" bread pudding for lunch.

As you can see, I find more things to brag on than complain about on HAL but I have not been on the Westerdam.

Hopefully, you can enjoy the remainder of your cruise. We have been to Alaska twice (both times on HAL) and had a fantastic time.

Curious: Why didn't you book the Celebrity cruise to Alaska?

So sorry to hear that you are not having a great experience on HAL.

RCI has gorgeous ships but the food just doesn't compare to HAL in our opinion. I have heard that Celebrity is closer to HAL in the food category. We love the food in the Lido on HAL. Love that you can get a made to order omelet for breakfast and I love the oriental style "flavors of other countries and of course the "famous" bread pudding for lunch.

Curious: Why didn't you book the Celebrity cruise to Alaska?

We have friends that like Hal and we wanted to try it. As far as food goes people on the Hal board were complaining about the food on Westerdam but we have found the food to be very good. I think the food can change from week to week. It's like a box of chocolates, you don't know what you'll get. Celebrity has all the food you need and more.

What we have found is that there is no comparison between the Oceanview Cafe on the S class Celebrity ships vs. the Lido on HAL. Celebrity's is so open with various stations and few lines (other than cooked to order stations) unlike the more cafeteria approach on HAL. You must get in line and wait even if you just want one thing. While food is similar on both lines we far prefer the layout on Celebrity.

What, exactly, is your problem???? :eek:

My sister and I just got off the HAL Westerdam to Alaska last month, May 2015 (Neptune Suite). My husband and I did the Celebrity Solstice to Alaska last year, June 2014 (Royal Suite). I enjoyed both cruises and ships. There are pros and cons to each, but I have never experienced a bad cruise on either line. Sure hope the OP's cruise gets better.

Millennium - began cruising in 2000

Westerdam - began cruising in 2004

Solstice - began cruising in 2008

Basically, the Westerdam fits right in between the two, so I'm not sure why the comparison is necessarily "unfair".

I have sailed the HAL Rotterdam and the Celebrity Mercury - both launched in 1997. I much preferred the Mercury. In the end, we all have our personal preferences - causing us to choose the cruise lines that we do. :)