tipping for retreat cabanas

retiredkid

It's a Canadian and American thing. We can't help ourselves. Where I'm from, if you want to express discontent with service or food, you only leave a 10% tip. It's supposed to be a statement. Only if you're really dissatisfied do you leave no tip. QUOTE]

I agree with you except for one minor point. If I am really disatisfied, I leave a nickle or maybe one dollar. The reason is that if you leave no tip, the server may think that you are just cheap. If you leave an insultingly small tip, the message is obvious. BTW - you should also speak to the manager on the way out to make sure that management also knows about your dissatisfaction.

DON

We tip butlers, cabin stewards about 50% on first day what we would normally tip them at the end of the week. If service was excellent, I add in more than remaining 50% at end, if service was non existent, I'm out the 50% BUT I have experienced time and time again how much value that has added to the attention we receive

We tip butlers, cabin stewards about 50% on first day what we would normally tip them at the end of the week. If service was excellent, I add in more than remaining 50% at end, if service was non existent, I'm out the 50% BUT I have experienced time and time again how much value that has added to the attention we receive

Do you have any evidence that pre-tipping gets you better service. I doubt if it does.

DON

Do you have any evidence that pre-tipping gets you better service. I doubt if it does.

DON

Hi Don - it's all about my individual perception. I personally have noticed a difference when we haven't done it however, to your point, that could just be what would have happened anyway. And it has backfired as well :) we have been at resorts with other couples who didn't slip peeps something in same day and still had excellent service, they have had horrible service, etc. for us 85% of the time it has the illusion of helping, which makes me happy :)

Cheers!