Fizzlewicket's First Cruise on Royal Caribbean's Liberty of the Seas 6/4 – 6/13/2015

As we moved on, it's at this point I was noticing the building were brightly colored. And being a big fan of colors, I was enjoying the scenery. :p

San%2034.jpg

Do I know the subject of this statue ? Nope ... but it looked ... Um ... Interesting?

San%2040.jpg

San%2045.jpg

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

San%2070.jpg

San%2066.jpg

Why in the world do take pictures of the signs, you ask? Well, for reference, for later of course. I like to know what I am looking at. I thought maybe you would too.

San%2077.jpg

San%2079.jpg

And here's me trying to all artsy fartsy with the local area ... Hey, I think its a very interesting picture.

San%2078.jpg

Let's keep moving on ...

Hey look more colored houses down a sloping street ... What an interesting photo that would make. And low and behold, it did.

San%2080.jpg

And next we come across some kind of capitol looking building area.

San%20100.jpg

How do I know it was some kind of capital? Well, look at that star there ... it says Capitolino ... which I think ... well I don't speak spanish ... means something like Headquarters? Just an educated guess though.

San%20101.jpg

And there is the main headquarters building ...

San%20102.jpg

And here's a interesting view of the building and the statue. I thought the over all composition of the photo was very ... Hey! Wait a sec ...

San%20104.jpg

Does it look like that statue is giving a very rude and inappropriate finger gesture to the building? ... Shame on your, Mr. Statue! That is very immature ...

Anyway, behind this area is a beautiful little beach and there are stairs to access it.

San%20103.jpg

By this time, both our feet are killing us from all the walking and the day is becoming a true scorcher. Add to that, I have needed to go the restroom for at least an hour and there were no public restrooms anywhere! So, needless to say, I was trying to speed the tour along.

Right down from the Headquarters building on the other side was a long row of all kinda of memorials, dedications and statues.

San201.jpg

San%20200.jpg

And something I was extremely surprised to find ...

San%20202.jpg

San%20203.jpg

San%20206.jpg

San%20205.jpg

Edited by Fizzlewicket

Well, I was seriously about to burst so we walked quickly in the direction of the ship, looking for anything that may have a bathroom. We checked everywhere including a bus station nearby and a Senor Frogs ... I figured it was a bar from reviews I have read but it was only a merchandise shop. Was I going to do? As we neared the docks, I remember seeing a Subway sandwich in a little outdoor mall type area. Surely they had a bathroom! No such luck. But as I started to leave the restaurant, one of the employees said, “Bathroom?” I don’t remember even nodding. I think my eyes said enough and he pointed to a direction between the buildings and out back. I hurried in that direction and was quite relieved to finally find a bathroom.

There wasn’t much time left, so I sent down the docks a bit to get a photo of the ship and back we went.

San%20209.jpg

You didn't miss anything, all the drink packags (including the $6.50 per day soda package) can be purchased onboard using OBC.

Last November - the soda only package was only sold the day we sailed and possibly the next day. We met someone who tried to buy it on the 3rd day (it was a 9 night cruise) and they would only sell the much more expensive package with the specialty coffee etc

Possibly this was your issue

We arrive at Merigot. There are a ton of little shop tables with dresses, shirts, carved items, bags, jewelry and all kinds of other items.

Martin%2077.jpg

Martin%208.jpg

Tanya eventually gets a great deal on a couple of dresses and a matching bag. Of course, I was scoping out the area for the most interesting photos I could, but we only have an hour, so I have so balance between the best photos, following my wife around as she shops and taking a quick look at the interesting buildings in the area. We found a ritzy mall (the yellow building behind the red boat) and took a quick peek inside. The mall itself was very small and the stores were even smaller. Most of the merchandise was very expensive clothing, shoes and snooty items. Certainly nothing in our price range.

This is one of my favorite photos ...

Martin%209.jpg

Sarafina’s Pasty Shop is in that area and we head over there last. We walked and talked with another couple we met that came in on their own boat and were there just for Sarafina’s. Low and behold, we find it’s closed because it’s Tuesday and they are always closed on Tuesday. They had mentioned Sarafina's was "world renowned" and were quite upset that it was closed. We reluctantly went done to another pastry shop only a few shops down and they really did not have much of a selection of anything. It was getting late in the day and Junior had mentioned most stores and shops close around 5pm, so that pastry shop was probably just selling the last they had before they closed. A matter of fact, I do remember the shopkeepers with the stands starting to pack up as we left that area. Another couple on the bus was furious that Sarafina’s was closed. This was the second time they cruised to St. Martin and the pastry shop had been closed both times. “I am never coming back here again!” the wife exclaimed.

We got back on the bus again for the last leg of our tour.

We did Bernard's tours the same day. Our guide was Mailman. He told us that Sarafina's would be closed and recommended another French bakery, La Suceriere, just a few doors down. It was excellent!

Edited by KelJ

About midway through the Promenade, we come across the Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream Parlor. Where Tanya splurged on some cookies and cream ice cream.

Ben%20and%20Cup.jpg

At the The Cupcake Cupboard, Tanya enjoyed several Red Velvet cupcakes. She has quite the sweet tooth.

Cakes.jpg

Food is free. The only free drink they usually have is water.

So the food in Ben and Jerrys, the Cupcake Cupboard and Johnny Rockets is free? I was under the impression there was a fee for this food. This will be the first time I am sailing on LOS

Edited by azbaby8062
Added title

So the food in Ben and Jerrys, the Cupcake Cupboard and Johnny Rockets is free? I was under the impression there was a fee for this food. This will be the first time I am sailing on LOS

No, Bob was stating that the food in the "Café Promenade" is free, not the whole "Promenade". The Café Promenade is a venu within the promenade. In fact if you look closely at the display case in the Cupcake cupboard photo above, you can see the reflection of the Café Promende sign that is just across the "Street" from the Cupcake Cupboard. Ben & Jerry's, Cupcake Cupboard and Johnny Rockets all have an upcharge.

Unless, while waiting in line at Johnny Rockets, the attendant at the door has a contest for the people waiting in line. Whoever said "BBQ Chicken Bacon cheddar melt" 5 times first had a free meal. I ended up getting a free meal :D

dp

Edited by dpostman

Yes, there is a fee for those places. (If you look closely at the Cupcake Cupboard picture, you can see a sign with "Cupcake Price List.") As dpostman noted, the post you quoted that said "Food is free" was referring to the Cafe' Promenade, where the food, indeed, is free (or included in your fare, for those who get persnickety about the word 'free').

No, Bob was stating that the food in the "Café Promenade" is free, not the whole "Promenade". The Café Promenade is a venu within the promenade. In fact if you look closely at the display case in the Cupcake cupboard photo above, you can see the reflection of the Café Promende sign that is just across the "Street" from the Cupcake Cupboard. Ben & Jerry's, Cupcake Cupboard and Johnny Rockets all have an upcharge.

Unless, while waiting in line at Johnny Rockets, the attendant at the door has a contest for the people waiting in line. Whoever said "BBQ Chicken Bacon cheddar melt" 5 times first had a free meal. I ended up getting a free meal :D

dp

Yes, there is a fee for those places. (If you look closely at the Cupcake Cupboard picture, you can see a sign with "Cupcake Price List.") As dpostman noted, the post you quoted that said "Food is free" was referring to the Cafe' Promenade, where the food, indeed, is free (or included in your fare, for those who get persnickety about the word 'free').

Ahh, ok that explains it. I was figuring that named brand restaurants would have a fee. We are trying to work an onboard spending account budget ahead of time.

Did they serve Honey Stung Chicken on embark.ment day? Fantastic review, we are sailing her in Sept! Thank you!

As I mentioned before, the embarkation meal at the Windjammer was busy, hectic, and confusing. Frankly, I have no idea what I ate or what was served. I do remember seeing some kind of fried chicken at the Windjammer several times. I also think I remember seeing honey stung on the room service menu.

BonTexasNY (or anyone who's computer literate )I agree with you..... great review. I'm loving it because I'm going on Liberty in next month and I'm going on this itinerary next August. You said you're going to save it. I'm not real computer literate. How do you save just one review? Thanks

Edited by verandalover

Just finished writing my final portion of my review which is a entertaining and revealing look at our Labadee adventure. I will posting it tonight.

I want to thank everyone who has commented and kept me excited in sharing my experience with you and answering questions for others. Again, thank you so much for being involved.