Bar Hop or Beach Hop?

Savmom9801

Does anyone know the difference between these two tours? It seems that they are very similar.

However, the beach hop doesn't go to Playa Bonita & Coconuts. It goes to Chen Rio instead. So I guess they spend a little more time at each beach/bar?

Both tours include a shot at every stop & a t-shirt. They are operated by the same company.

I can't find any reviews on the Beach Hop. We will be celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary. We aren't big drinkers, and we would love to see the best of the East Side of the island.

So is Coconuts & Playa Bonita comparable to Chen Rio?

Chen Rio is comparable in some ways. Coconuts is primarily a bar and restaurant with great views since it sits on the highest point on the island. Playa Bonita is also just a bar and restaurant but directly on the beach where you can walk along a bit, but no swimming allowed. Chen Rio has a bar and a restaurant and, I believe a small pool plus life guards so you can enjoy the beach and ocean, assuming the water isn't too rough due to storm activity.

IMO, Coconuts' drinks are good but their food can be mediocre, similar to what you can find in any Tex-Mex place stateside. Playa Bonita and Chen Rio both do seafood very well. Chen Rio's whole snapper is excellent.

But save some room for the food at Rastas. One of the better versions of ceviche you'll find anywhere. And the beach is a great beach to hang out at, but I don't think they allow swimming yet.

Given you're not big drinkers, I'd say you'd be very happy just hitting the beaches.

Does anyone know the difference between these two tours? It seems that they are very similar.

However, the beach hop doesn't go to Playa Bonita & Coconuts. It goes to Chen Rio instead. So I guess they spend a little more time at each beach/bar?

Both tours include a shot at every stop & a t-shirt. They are operated by the same company.

I can't find any reviews on the Beach Hop. We will be celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary. We aren't big drinkers, and we would love to see the best of the East Side of the island.

So is Coconuts & Playa Bonita comparable to Chen Rio?

I have been to all the bars listed. We have done the Bar Hop and highly recommend. It is very well organized and a lot of fun even if you are not “big” drinkers. A good opportunity to see the “other”side.

You don’t say if it will be just the two of you celebrating, or if you have a group? The Bar Hop is the original tour. In recent years they have tried to branch out by offering one or two alternatives. However there is obviously a minimum number needed to run a tour. I have tried previously to book and find a review for the Kid’s Hop. Sounds like a good option, when we have grandkids with us, but it doesn’t seem to run very often and I have never found a review. The Beach Hop also seems good, for a change of scene, but from the website it appears to be only for private parties. On the other hand the Bar Hop runs almost every day although occasionally they fail to make the requisite number required.

The Bar Hop offers a good variety of bars on the east side. It includes the most popular locations. There are plenty of reviews in a long thread on this forum (search Bar Hop) but in summary:

Punta Morena, large (area wise) but relatively quiet beach club with mariachis and small dipping pool. Lots of space to spread out and do your own thing, or stay with the group and party!

Coconuts, good for view and photo ops, but popular and busy and pricy.

Playa Bonita, my least favorite but very popular with many people.

Rasta’s, one of my favorites, but I like rustic and laid-back, (or maybe I am just always feeling relaxed by the time I get to Rasta’s!)

The good thing about the Bar Hop is that there is no pressure, (I am sure it depends on the group you happen to team up on a given day) but it is a very efficiently run, no-worries type of tour. At each location you are free to join in and socialize, or wander off and explore, find a quiet spot by yourselves. If you have never been round the island I would certainly recommend it whether you are a couple or a group. Some people that are disappointed with the Bar Hop seem to be under the misunderstanding that a “shot” is offered at each bar. The drinks are clearly described on the website, and are different at each bar, but more of a small sample drink. Extra drinks or food are at your own expense and are cash-only since there is no electricity on the east side. Food and drinks are not wildly expensive but are not bargain-basement prices either, which also seems to bother a number of people. There was no pressure from the venues to purchase extra although they obviously appreciate it.

Chen Rio, the other beach you mention, is quite a large beach area with two beach bars. It is popular because it has a sheltered inlet where people can get in the ocean. On the whole there is generally no swimming on the east side because it can be rough and have currents. It can get quite busy because some cruise ship tours have been reported to use this location.

To answer your original question I think the two tours are similar in many ways. I “think” the Beach Hop may be only for private groups but you could email Tom and ask - he has always answered my queries willingly and promptly. If you have never been to the east side I think the Bar Hop offers a good mix of locations – I have only been to Chen Rio once, I have been to the others several times, either with the Bar Hop, or a private driver!

Edited by c-leg5

Thanks c-legs5! That is good information to consider. It will just be the two of us and I would hate to have the tour cancelled due to lack of participation. I emailed Bar Hop a few days ago, but haven't heard back from them yet.

• 4 weeks later...

I was just looking in to the Cozumel Beach Hop. It looks like this tour is no longer offered. There are no links on the Cozumel Bar Hop website to the beach hop tour. Trying to book the tour on the Cozumel Beach Hop website that I found by just typing it in as a web address turns up the following message "Sadly this tour is not available at the moment!!"

So, what happened to the Beach Hop tour?

That's strange dioxide45. I heard back from Bar Hop and they said we'd be better off booking the Bar Hop tour for our anniversary trip in December because they may not have the minimum to make a beach hop tour. I then asked him about the beach hop for our family trip in June 2016 and he said that we could book the beach hop within 6 months of our sail date since there would be 9 of us and we would have the minimum amount to make the tour. Maybe it is only offered for groups. I will do a comparison review after our family trip in June.