Viewing from the bow - NCL

tammyjw305

Hi,

We are going to Alaska on the NCL Sun. I have seen on the web cam people viewing from the bow on glacier cruising days. I was excited, but now assume this is probably just for suite guest or some criteria. Does anyone know who is allowed to view on the bow?

Thanks!

Tammy

These are public areas on the upper decks. I don't prefer them, as being closest to the water is my priority so, I like the lower promenade open deck. I've forgotten the name, but one forward deck is outside a lounge, but doesn't have good side viewing and is subject to a lot of wind. I used this for Snow Pass, but Glacier Bay, I was lower.

I haven't been on the Sun, so I don't know the answer. I will know after my August trip to Alaska.

Every ship I've been on to Alaska has opened the bow on glacier viewing days.

I've been on several ships that have not opened bows, including the 4 NCL sailings I did last year. As well as Carnival.

Disembarked the Sun on 6/1/15. There is forward viewing with the only access being through the Observation Lounge, deck 12. It's a viewing deck. The only reason it would be closed would be if it were too windy and deemed dangerous or possibly if they are painting.

There is another "bow" on the Sun, the very forward portion of deck 7. That's where the bell and some kind of weather device are. But it is completely off-limits to guests and even most crew. The only way we saw it was through some windows from the kids' club. However, there are plenty of other places for glacier viewing. We liked the main promenade deck because we could move around and see different views. The observation area on deck 12 in front of the lounge gets VERY busy and packed 3-4 deep.

The only time I would recommend the deck 12 lounge deck is on the southbound trips, early morning prior to Ketchikan,- to hit Snow Pass. First- few if anyone is up and wide open for expansive views, and the ability to track.

Otherwise, I am on the lowest "wrap around" deck.

I see people on what I called the bow on the Pearl web cam now, next to the crew pool, which is roped off.

What gives :)?

Tammy

The simple answer is that the Pearl and Sun are different ships with different rules ;) We asked about the bow on deck 7 and a crew member told us that even he was not allowed on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from the Sun Northbound. Deck 6 was the best deck for observing glaciers. The outside deck goes all around ship and was never crowded. Whereas the observation lounge was VERY CROWDED!

We had a bow penthouse suite on deck 8 and could see the deck 7 bow. The front area on deck 7 was never accessed by anyone the whole week we were there.