Berlin: when/where does Viking leave you?

Symmes99

I have a question for those of you you have been to Berlin with Viking. I'm on the June 27th cruise and will be visiting Berlin on July 5th. I've arranged a private guide in Berlin, so all I need is the complimentary Viking transfer to and from Berlin. I've been trying (through my TA) to have Viking advise when and where they leave you for the "Berlin on Your Own" tour - I'd like to tell the guide where to meet us, and at what time. The Viking Star has completed two cruises that included Berlin on the itinerary and is now on its 3rd cruise with that itinerary (I'll be on the 4th). So the Berlin transfer has been done at least twice already, possibly a 3rd time. But Viking cannot provide any details to my TA. I can wait until I am on board and check with the Shore Excursion desk early in the cruise, then notify the guide. But if anyone has made the trip to Berlin with Viking, I'd appreciate any details you can share regarding the logistics.

Thanks,

Gerry

We were dropped off at Checkpoint Charlie. Whether that will always be the case I dont know. I think the main problem you may have is timing in meeting a guide. It will depend on which day you arrive there (we were there on Sunday) and on the volume of traffic and other things that are happening (eg there was a FIFA soccer tournament being set up near the Brandenburg Gate which affected traffic). The bus trip in included a tour of the main sights so you may want to consider being dropped off before that tour.

Another option is for you to take the train from Warnemunde into Berlin...that will give greater predictability re time of arrival in Berlin.

I'm going on that cruise next year but in fact am writing this from Berlin (technical conference). I can't answer the drop off/pick up points question but if you look at the itinerary details provided for each included and optional excursion you can infer a certain amount. Berlin is about 6 hrs RT from Warnemunde (where the ship will dock). They say the entire excursion will be 12 hrs and have you back in time for dinner. Assuming that dinner is about 6:30 or 7 (what it was when we did a Viking river cruise last year), I would guess they'll have you boarding the bus at 6 or 6:30. So that will have you arriving at approx 9 or a little later and coming back around 3. Going back to the issue of where, I suspect that the actual drop off and pick up sites aren't the same all the time. From what I've seen this week, roads are closed all the time in response to this & that - marches, political events, etc - so Viking may not be able to know what place is good until the day before (worst case). When I was here 2 yrs ago (same reason) Pres Obama did his visit so whole blocks were cordoned off. Lastly, this is a city in a state of constant rebuilding (the old Eastern side needs it desperately), so road closures and detours are a fact of life. Hope this helps.

We were dropped off at Checkpoint Charlie. Whether that will always be the case I dont know. I think the main problem you may have is timing in meeting a guide. It will depend on which day you arrive there (we were there on Sunday) and on the volume of traffic and other things that are happening (eg there was a FIFA soccer tournament being set up near the Brandenburg Gate which affected traffic). The bus trip in included a tour of the main sights so you may want to consider being dropped off before that tour.

Another option is for you to take the train from Warnemunde into Berlin...that will give greater predictability re time of arrival in Berlin.

Good idea to take the train. Not only is the when predictable but so will be the where. Wish I'd thought of that. Btw, one of my technical conference compatriots is a train aficionado and he's been zipping around here on trains as much as he can. Impressed with experience.

I'd vote for the train too, although I can't speak to Berlin. Our experience on "Rome on your own" was a bad choice. The included Rome and then travel without the tour worked out as well and didn't cost an extra $100. for the couple. We did do Florence on your own, with Viking transport, but that's a much shorter drive.

I have a question for those of you you have been to Berlin with Viking. I'm on the June 27th cruise and will be visiting Berlin on July 5th. I've arranged a private guide in Berlin, so all I need is the complimentary Viking transfer to and from Berlin. I've been trying (through my TA) to have Viking advise when and where they leave you for the "Berlin on Your Own" tour - I'd like to tell the guide where to meet us, and at what time. The Viking Star has completed two cruises that included Berlin on the itinerary and is now on its 3rd cruise with that itinerary (I'll be on the 4th). So the Berlin transfer has been done at least twice already, possibly a 3rd time. But Viking cannot provide any details to my TA. I can wait until I am on board and check with the Shore Excursion desk early in the cruise, then notify the guide. But if anyone has made the trip to Berlin with Viking, I'd appreciate any details you can share regarding the logistics.

Thanks,

Gerry

I like the train idea, never thought of that myself. If you are going to be visiting Berlin for the first and perhaps only time by all means do it but be prepared for a long day on the bus. I suggested to VOC on our post-cruise critique that if they wanted to enhance the visit to Berlin they should spend two nights in Warnemunde and allow passengers to remain in Berlin overnight in order to allot a more reasonable time to see that magnificent city. 3-4 hours is simply not adequate to witness all there is to see in Berlin. The Checkpoint Charlie Museum (allow 90-120 minutes minimum), Treptow Memorial Park, and the boat ride on the Spree River are "must-do's and I doubt one can do those in the short time allotted to the tour. Plus, one would miss all the other sights in the city. I contend that the port visit to Gdansk could be sacrificed in order to see more of Berlin. If you've been there before or intend to go back at some other time (ie. for the pre sail portion of "Elegant Elbe" with the Viking river cruise division) I can strongly recommend the optional excursion to Rostock. We did that one and it was wonderful. A small group (16) had the river boat all to ourselves as we glided down the river passing a shipyard where we could see at least two Viking longships under construction and the old Russian Navy yard. The guided tour in Rostock was enjoyable and informative. Our guide was stellar. We visited a small restaurant with its own onsite micro-brewery and sampled two types of excellent beer accompanied by pretzels and mustard and sausage with the sweetest sauerkraut I've ever tasted. We returned to the ship in Warnemunde with lots of time to take a leisurely stroll through the entire town, out to the picturesque coast (and entrance to the port), down the sandy beach, and we even had time for my wife to get her hair cut at a very reasonably priced and quite professional hair salon. BTW, when in Berlin don't miss the opportunity to try the famous curry wurst. Enjoy!

Edited by boomerone
sp

I like the train idea, never thought of that myself. If you are going to be visiting Berlin for the first and perhaps only time by all means do it but be prepared for a long day on the bus. I suggested to VOC on our post-cruise critique that if they wanted to enhance the visit to Berlin they should spend two nights in Warnemunde and allow passengers to remain in Berlin overnight in order to allot a more reasonable time to see that magnificent city. 3-4 hours is simply not adequate to witness all there is to see in Berlin. The Checkpoint Charlie Museum (allow 90-120 minutes minimum), Treptow Memorial Park, and the boat ride on the Spree River are "must-do's and I doubt one can do those in the short time allotted to the tour. Plus, one would miss all the other sights in the city. I contend that the port visit to Gdansk could be sacrificed in order to see more of Berlin. If you've been there before or intend to go back at some other time (ie. for the pre sail portion of "Elegant Elbe" with the Viking river cruise division) I can strongly recommend the optional excursion to Rostock. We did that one and it was wonderful. A small group (16) had the river boat all to ourselves as we glided down the river passing a shipyard where we could see at least two Viking longships under construction and the old Russian Navy yard. The guided tour in Rostock was enjoyable and informative. Our guide was stellar. We visited a small restaurant with its own onsite micro-brewery and sampled two types of excellent beer accompanied by pretzels and mustard and sausage with the sweetest sauerkraut I've ever tasted. We returned to the ship in Warnemunde with lots of time to take a leisurely stroll through the entire town, out to the picturesque coast (and entrance to the port), down the sandy beach, and we even had time for my wife to get her hair cut at a very reasonably priced and quite professional hair salon. BTW, when in Berlin don't miss the opportunity to try the famous curry wurst. Enjoy!

Thanks for sharing. Agree that there are way too many things in Berlin to stuff into 6 hrs max of tour time which is why we are thinking of doing elegant elbe in 2018 with Berlin extension and do something close to Warnemumde when we do our VO trip next year.

I would sacrifice Helsinki and add a day to Berlin.

Helsinki = Lots of modern soviet style buildings .The monument to Sibelius would have been interesting if it hadn't been smothered by tourists trying to take selfies.

The rock church was also interesting but very crowded.

I would sacrifice Helsinki and add a day to Berlin.

Helsinki = Lots of modern soviet style buildings .The monument to Sibelius would have been interesting if it hadn't been smothered by tourists trying to take selfies.

The rock church was also interesting but very crowded.

I was in Helsinki for a technical conference back in 2002 and the areas I saw didn't strike me as "modern Soviet". In fact, quite the opposite. If you want to see ugly Soviet, look in parts of the not yet reconstructed East Berlin. I remember Helsinki as charming (was in an area within walking distance of the Helsinki Cathedral; google maps isn't giving me much help with describing where we were using English names) and am looking forward to going back there to do the things I didn't have the time to do then. I was there on business, not leisure, after all! [emoji2]

Schwerin Castle as a Berlin option. I has the worst tour of the whole cruise here, not because of the Castle itself but the total lack of organization surrounding the tour. The local tour guides got on board and told us they'd never done this exact tour before and didn't think it was possible in the time allotted. Our guides even had trouble finding the boat that took us to the Castle, and once in town couldn't tell us where the bathrooms were.

However, the Castle (I'd call it more a medieval palace) was fantastic, and inside the Palace the tour was led by great Castle docents. I'm sure by now they've figured out the logistics for this Optional tour and it might be another option for those not wanting the long bus ride into Berlin. You do have to pay a few euros extra in order to take pictures inside, which I did and am glad I did. There's a lot to see inside and the grounds and settings are like a fairytale. The town is OK and worth a bit of a stroll, but is skippable if you'd rather spend your free time in the Castle Gardens.

Would be interesting to get input from more recent travellers, because if Viking has worked out the logistics, this would be a great excursion.