Diamond Princess E217 Obstructed Ocean View

thistledoo

I was looking at the photos of E217 obstructed view on the Diamond. On the deck plan it shows the cabin as being fully behind a tender, but the picture shows only partial obstruction. The Princess website says it is fully obstructed.

Has anyone stayed in, or seen, this particular cabin? Here is a link to the obstructed view site:

https://sites.google.com/site/cabinviewbyrenmar/diamond-sapphire-princess/cabins-200--231

Thanks

It's not behind a tender; it's behind a lifeboat. Tenders are the six much larger boats that are located aft. Lifeboats are smaller (i.e., not as tall) than tenders are and thus don't obstruct the entirety of the window, so the view as shown in that photo on Renmar's site is exactly what you'd see.

It's not behind a tender; it's behind a lifeboat. Tenders are the six much larger boats that are located aft. Lifeboats are smaller (i.e., not as tall) than tenders are and thus don't obstruct the entirety of the window, so the view as shown in that photo on Renmar's site is exactly what you'd see.

Excellent. Thanks very much.

You're very welcome.

I had a similarly-obstructed view on a different ship and after the first few minutes, didn't even notice that I was looking over a lifeboat -- I could still see the ocean and the view just fine. Have a great cruise.

• 1 year later...

Thank you to all who contributed on this Thread. We are booked on the 23 day Cruise on the Diamond Princess from the 16th December out of Singapore in E217. Our first Cruise and we are like kids on Christmas Eve - we know we are going to have a great time. We are both just breathless with excitement. The view from our window looks spectacular - and the only way is up. Thank you all.

Thank you vibeguy .. just a query .. can you walk along the deck beside the life-boats? ie. if we could squueze through the window ... is there a promenade there? ... and how do you get there? Thanks

There is a catwalk alongside the lifeboats for crew maintenance access to the lifeboat mechanisms. Accessed by ladders from the Promenade deck below clearly marked 'Crew Only'. I would think any passenger found up there would be in danger of losing the rest of their vacation.

And I will give benefit of the doubt that the "if" in "if we could squeeze through the window" means you know the question is purely hypothetical (ie you don't actually think the window opens :rolleyes:)

vibeguy .. thanks for the feedback ... Yes .. "if" is purely hypothetical, but it would be a short-cut "if" you needed access - "if" required - you know ... "in case of emergency - break glass".

But we are very much looking forward to not spending too much time in the room .. if we wanted to sleep we would stay home.

rdsqrl: ditto - and thanks for your input.

vibeguy .. thanks for the feedback ... Yes .. "if" is purely hypothetical, but it would be a short-cut "if" you needed access - "if" required - you know ... "in case of emergency - break glass".

But we are very much looking forward to not spending too much time in the room .. if we wanted to sleep we would stay home.

rdsqrl: ditto - and thanks for your input.

The main Promenade deck is just one deck down and it goes under the lifeboats/tenders. The Diamond's Promenade is very nice and wide.

The promenade comes up from Deck 7 to Deck 8 several cabins forward of yours. Walkers are about eight feet below you at this cabin and cannot see in. Crew attending to the lifeboats can be present, especially in port.

The glass in the window is quite thick, so I don't think you'll be making a shimmy for it.

The promenade comes up from Deck 7 to Deck 8 several cabins forward of yours. Walkers are about eight feet below you at this cabin and cannot see in. Crew attending to the lifeboats can be present, especially in port.

The glass in the window is quite thick, so I don't think you'll be making a shimmy for it.

Thank you vibeGuy .. your insight is very much appreciated.