Carnival Early Saver

mikelaw11017

I know that Carnival covers themselves with "legal jargon," but there is a point that they are down right cruel. For example, we have a group of four cabins booked on an upcoming cruise, and we are platinum members. For reasons, never imagined, one of the cabins will now only have one guest. We are completely fine with the price being modified and the cabin being re-priced as a single. It is a modification of an existing booking, not a cancellation. However, Carnival does not consider that. Since they delete one person, they believe it is a cancellation and imposed a $250 cancellation, plus a $50 change fee for a total of $300. We would have made out much better, if we just would have let the passenger be a no show. Please, no comments about you should have read the contract. Carnival, should not make an additional profit off unforeseen life events. Of course, Carnival doesn't care all the way up to the supervisory level. They simply fall back on their legal jargon. The world is not "black and white." If they weren't harmed financially as a company, then don't adversely affect the customer (Customer Service 101)

The fact of the matter is that everyone who has to make a change or a cancellation has some sort of sob story. Carnival can't make exceptions for one person because they would then have to make exceptions for everyone. If they were to do that, then there would be no point of having policies to begin with. They are a company, they need to have policies in place.

I'm sorry you didn't understand the booking terms when selecting Early Saver. Yes, you would have been better off as having them no show. They should not make any exceptions for anything. That is what insurance is for.

And, yes, my answer would be exactly the same if I had an unforeseen life event. I should have known better and protected my investment. Lesson learned. No sense in faulting a company for following their rules. In fact, I wish they would do it each and every time for ALL of their rules onboard and onshore.

Cruel would be making an exception for one and not another. Everyone has a crisis of some sort when they are unable to travel. So what? Don't like the restrictions, book a different rate. You weren't forced into it. If you don't understand what you are doing, seek help first. If you do know (especially being Platinum I'm guessing you did) then be prepared to accept the consequences. Welcome to the real world where there are such things.

Sorry this happened to you, but those are the rules for ES.

It's too bad you didn't come here first and ask for opinions about your situation.

Many others have asked and the answer is just have the party be a no show.

OP-- You did have one person cancel, correct? That costs $50 of your deposit. The remaining $200 is held for up to 2 yrs. to be used as a deposit on a new cruise.

The person who paid the deposit gets the credit. In other words, if you booked and paid the deposit on a credit card in your name for the person who canceled, you can use the remaining $200 for a future cruise. If the other person booked their own cabin, the credit is theirs.

It's not $300. It's only $50 that is lost forever. The $200 comes back to someone if they cruise within 2 years.

There were other fares you could have bought that allow a full refund. I'll bet the nasty airlines won't refund the money paid for the economy, non-refundable air ticket either. Is that different? They too offer fully refundable tickets if you want to pay for them.

About paying the single supplement, is there not a 3- or 4-person cabin in your group? One of those people could be booked as a second person in the solo cabin. I don't think you'll have to pay another change fee, though you better ask. You would save the fare for that 3rd or 4th person.

Instead they would pay the 2nd person fare in the solo room. That fare will be somewhat more, but person 1 in that room can help since they won't have to pay the single supplement.

ES is horrible. I won't book it anymore, my husband is military and no travel we plan is 100%... which often makes other cruise lines cheaper. Regardless though I would just do a no show, that's what we did when my sister didn't come for our cruise last year. Other lines have much better cancellation policies on their cheap rates for the future though. It's a huge reason we've started dabbling on other lines.

ES isn't horrible, it just doesn't work for you. If the choices in the variety of booking fares don't appeal to you, maybe you will do better with other lines. But don't be surprised when they are almost identical.

ES isn't horrible, it just doesn't work for you. If the choices in the variety of booking fares don't appeal to you, maybe you will do better with other lines. But don't be surprised when they are almost identical.

I agree, ES has always worked for us and because we book a year out is really the only choice.

I was in the service for a long time, so I do feel for military on leave, and do know how tentative that can be.

Book under another fare and avoid the ES rules, even if the cost is not as good.

If they weren't harmed financially as a company, then don't adversely affect the customer (Customer Service 101)

There are so many things incorrect with this post and other posters have adequately replied to them. However, this last comment needs to be addressed.

First, Carnival was "harmed financially" in that they will not get the total agreed to revenue for the one cabin space that you said you were going to use (unless someone else books a half space).

Second, you violated the terms of your contract, no matter what the reason. The cruise contract for ES that you agreed to clearly states that there is a penalty for doing that. You agreed to that penalty.

Third, if this is due to something that is covered by travel insurance, then all you have to do is file a claim and you will get your money back. If you decided not to buy travel insurance, then all you lose is $50 rather than the $95 you would have paid for the insurance.

Fourth, so what if you are Platinum? It has nothing to do with the situation. Being Platinum does not give you a special contract exemption privilege that others do not get.

So, don't make Carnival the bad guy here. They have done nothing wrong, and neither have you. You booked a cruise based on what you knew at the time of booking at the rate that you thought met your needs. Your needs changed and you had accepted rules that governed that type of situation. Now you want those rules changed. Sorry, stuff happens, and you faced the consequences that you agreed to. Look in the mirror to see who made the decisions, and move on. Taking cheap shots at Carnival makes You look bad, not them.

Edited by Retired_to_Cruise

I know that Carnival covers themselves with "legal jargon," but there is a point that they are down right cruel. For example, we have a group of four cabins booked on an upcoming cruise, and we are platinum members. For reasons, never imagined, one of the cabins will now only have one guest. We are completely fine with the price being modified and the cabin being re-priced as a single. It is a modification of an existing booking, not a cancellation. However, Carnival does not consider that. Since they delete one person, they believe it is a cancellation and imposed a $250 cancellation, plus a $50 change fee for a total of $300. We would have made out much better, if we just would have let the passenger be a no show. Please, no comments about you should have read the contract. Carnival, should not make an additional profit off unforeseen life events. Of course, Carnival doesn't care all the way up to the supervisory level. They simply fall back on their legal jargon. The world is not "black and white." If they weren't harmed financially as a company, then don't adversely affect the customer (Customer Service 101)

Ah, so you expect special treatment because of a "life event". If they did that then everyone's excuse would be a "life event" and expect special treatment as well. Since so many CSRs cave at the sound of a single whine I commend Carnival for sticking to their guns and following/enforcing their rules.

The world may not be black and white (and I know some people love to live in the gray areas) but the contract is.

Edited by Out to sea!

ES is horrible. I won't book it anymore, my husband is military and no travel we plan is 100%... which often makes other cruise lines cheaper. Regardless though I would just do a no show, that's what we did when my sister didn't come for our cruise last year. Other lines have much better cancellation policies on their cheap rates for the future though. It's a huge reason we've started dabbling on other lines.

If your husband has a job that requires him to be gone on short notice at any given timday then yes ES is a bad idea. It's nonrefundable. Why would you ever book that rate?

OP, yes you would have been better as a no show. That's the broad based advice for a situation like yours. I wish you had come here and discussed it instead of coming here just to blast ES after the fact. It is a restrictive fare choice but it has its advantages. I don't always use it.

Life events happen every single day. People really should stop expecting Carnival to bend their rules every time. Come on. Although I'm sure they often do it. But you cant get your money back. I have learned. Get insurance. It's your best course.

ES works for me, but I think they should include exemptions for the Military. They do so much for us Carnival could do something for them.

They actually do offer a specific military rate which is lower than others, although not lower than early saver, without the more restrictive terms. I think that's pretty cool of them.

OP, I am wondering when your cruise is. From your signature, I am guessing it's July which means you are past final pmt date. Wouldn't other rates have cancellation penalties at this point? Not sure this situation is completely due yo ES.

everything they did was correct except I don't understand what the $50 change fee was for?

Bill

Edited by S.S.Oceanlover

Sorry ES didn't work out the way you wanted it to. Depending on the overall cost of the cruise for the 2nd person, since you already will just have only one person may have been better off to keep it as a NOSHOW.

I always book ES whenever I can. As long as you are stick to your original plans it's worth it and can be financially beneficial to claim price reductions later. Unexpected changes are just that, Unexpected and the gamble you take.

Edited by wiskt

The $50 change fee is in the terms of the Early Saver rate. It is a per person charge you pay if you make changes to the booking.

Yeah but once you reach final payment date normal penalties apply for cancellations. That $50 per change fee is no more once you enter penalty phase after your final payment date, so I don't understand that either.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

If your husband has a job that requires him to be gone on short notice at any given timday then yes ES is a bad idea. It's nonrefundable. Why would you ever book that rate?

OP, yes you would have been better as a no show. That's the broad based advice for a situation like yours.

I'm not sure how the no show is more beneficial (I'm genuinely curious). If you don't show up, don't you lose the entire fare you paid? The way I see it, if you pay $300 and cancel your ES reservation, you're charged a $50 cancellation fee and they hold the remaining $250 for use on a future cruise. So as long as you cruise in the next two years, you don't lose $250 of your original $300. But if you no show, wouldn't that $300 be lost for good? They don't refund no shows do they?

I feel like the value of booking ES rates usually outweighs the potential of losing $50pp if you have to cancel. Maybe I'm overlooking something though.

I'm not sure how the no show is more beneficial (I'm genuinely curious). If you don't show up, don't you lose the entire fare you paid? The way I see it, if you pay $300 and cancel your ES reservation, you're charged a $50 cancellation fee and they hold the remaining $250 for use on a future cruise. So as long as you cruise in the next two years, you don't lose $250 of your original $300. But if you no show, wouldn't that $300 be lost for good? They don't refund no shows do they?

I feel like the value of booking ES rates usually outweighs the potential of losing $50pp if you have to cancel. Maybe I'm overlooking something though.

Because once you reach the date of your final payment, normal penalties apply on a sliding scale. The ES rules are out the window as well as any other fare rule.

For example with past guest rate, the fare is totally refundable but once you pass final payment, then you lose a portion of your fare. Same case for ES or any other rate. The closer to sail date, the more money you lose.

That's why if you do have a very last minute cancellation, it is best for that person to just be a no show. Yes they will lose everything (port fees will be refunded) but at least the other person won't be repriced. Print out separate boarding passes and when you get to the port say your cabin mate is on the way. If the no show has insurance they can seek reimbursement through them. It's really the best option for a bad scenario.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

That's why if you do have a very last minute cancellation, it is best for that person to just be a no show. Yes they will lose everything (port fees will be refunded) but at least the other person won't be repriced. Print out separate boarding passes and when you get to the port say your cabin mate is on the way. If the no show has insurance they can seek reimbursement through them. It's really the best option for a bad scenario.

It's only financially best when both of the parties don't have insurance or have insurance that won't cover the cancelled reason. If they do, then it is better to cancel. Then the cancelled person can file a claim and get reimbursed for the cancellation penalties and the remaining person can get reimbursed for the single supplement that kicked in as a result of the first person canceling. It is my understanding that one does have to actually cancel in order to file an insurance claim.

... It is a modification of an existing booking, not a cancellation. However, Carnival does not consider that. ...
As far as I know, most cruise lines treat dropping a person from a reservation as a cancel+re-book with single supplement. They do not treat it as a "modification". IOW, Carnival is following industry practice.

Since it is a cancel, you invoke cancellation penalties, if any. If the fare involves a non-refundable deposit (like ES), the best you'll have is a credit for the deposit. If there's any fee for a change (which a cancel is), you'll incur that.

Any fare with a carrot (E.G. ES on Carnival or 50% deposit on another cruise line) has a stick (like non-refundable). Always look a gift horse in the mouth.