Should I get "Cheers" package?

psk2347

I am considering buying the cheers package, however, I am not sure if its worth it. I have been told not to buy it, and I have been told I would be stupid if I don't buy it.

About us: At home we normally don't drink much, maybe a couple drinks per week, however, when we go out drinking I can get carried away and purchase 10 drinks. This will be a speical cruise for us because I will be proposing on board. Is it smart to purchase the beverage package or should we buy drinks as we want them?

Thanks for your advice.

Edited by psk2347

drinks at alchemy bar are 8.95. add 1.00 for top shelf liquor and you're at 9.95 (just below the 10.00 limit).

if you think you'll drink 5 drinks a day, buy it. there are innumerable other combinations with varying prices. if you plan to drink 5-8 drinks a day (alchemy -> beer), buy it.

really, it's not a very hard decision. you should be able to decide this for yourself, based on what you think you'll drink. is it worth it for YOU? only you know.

and keep in mind, you get unlimited soda and non-alcoholic drinks TOO.

so, does it work for YOU? from the text of your post, i think it is. so i say get it. but only you really know. :)

This may help with the decision.

5 Day cruise:

Day 1: Embarkation

Day 2: Fun at Sea

Day 3: Half Moon Cay 8am-4pm

Day 4: Nassau 8am-5pm

Day 5: Free Port 8am-4pm

It seems that we are in port for several hours 3 days out of the 5. And 2 of those ports consists of cheap places to buy drinks, and free drinks if you go to the right place. Does the cheers program work on half moon cay since it is carnivals private island? This is a hard decision.

Also, keep in mind if you do decide you want it, every adult in the cabin must buy the

Cheers Program.

Yeah, that is the downside. I personally know I could make it worth wild, however, I dont think she could since she is a light weight.

If you like wine at dinner consider the sample the vineyard. 5 bottles of wine 130 something. If you prebuy by cAlling onboard gifts you avoid the 15% auto gratuity.

I'm not much of a wine person but that is a great idea.

Carnival has done a great job in marketing the Cheers program. People who don't drink much want to buy the program so they can feel like they are included in some special group.

That has to be it, otherwise why would someone who doesn't drink much and who's roommate barely drinks even be considering it?

i think its not worth it.

If I bought cheers for my upcoming cruise, Cheers would almost be as much as the base cabin cost, :eek:

and thats an 8nt cruise were talking about

What I dont like is CCL gets you to buy every single night. Not good for me

Edited by Vitamin_Sea

drinks at alchemy bar are 8.95. add 1.00 for top shelf liquor and you're at 9.95 (just below the 10.00 limit).

if you think you'll drink 5 drinks a day, buy it. there are innumerable other combinations with varying prices. if you plan to drink 5-8 drinks a day (alchemy -> beer), buy it.

really, it's not a very hard decision. you should be able to decide this for yourself, based on what you think you'll drink. is it worth it for YOU? only you know.

and keep in mind, you get unlimited soda and non-alcoholic drinks TOO.

so, does it work for YOU? from the text of your post, i think it is. so i say get it. but only you really know. :)

Alchemy Standard prices are now $9.95. Although they don't seem to charge extra for top shelf now. My drinks had a lot of Grey Goose in them. And most nights (at least or 5 out of 7 on the Pride), they were a dollar off. If you enjoy Alchemy, I would say it's worth it. Otherwise, I don't think it's worth it.

How much are sodas. I don't think I will be drinking enough alcohol on my next cruise to make it worthwhile, but I do like to grab a few sodas during the day.

You might want to check out the bottomless bubbles package then - I think it's something $50 for the week? That's the soda package. Individual cans are over $2 per can.

i think its not worth it.

If I bought cheers for my upcoming cruise, Cheers would almost be as much as the base cabin cost, :eek:

and thats an 8nt cruise were talking about

What I dont like is CCL gets you to buy every single night. Not good for me

For our 13 day Sunshine cruise the total amount for Cheers would be over $700 per person. Kind of steep when you factor in going off the ship to the Ports & not being able to use it then. Last day of the cruise would be, for us anyway, the day where we chill out somewhat on drinks since getting ready to get off the ship the next day.

Guess it all depends on what a person wants to do & how much they want to spend.

Alchemy Standard prices are now $9.95. Although they don't seem to charge extra for top shelf now. My drinks had a lot of Grey Goose in them. And most nights (at least or 5 out of 7 on the Pride), they were a dollar off. If you enjoy Alchemy, I would say it's worth it. Otherwise, I don't think it's worth it.

then i might be behind the curve on this one, as far as your experience is concerned, but the end result is the same, if you were getting grey goose. it's the same 8.95 + 1.00 = 9.95, and perhaps they're just offering that as standard now, or your bartenders were? regardless, end result is the same :)

For our 13 day Sunshine cruise the total amount for Cheers would be over $700 per person. Kind of steep when you factor in going off the ship to the Ports & not being able to use it then. Last day of the cruise would be, for us anyway, the day where we chill out somewhat on drinks since getting ready to get off the ship the next day.

Guess it all depends on what a person wants to do & how much they want to spend.

Yeah Its crazy.. Cheers is a homerun for CCL.. or people who need to be drunk daily

I am in a similar conundrum. Our Honeymoon is coming up on the Sunshine, 8 night Southern Caribbean with only 3 ports. I could drink my money's worth no problem. I'm the type that thinks nothing of 3 drinks at lunch a couple times per week, just chatting etc. The only thing that concerns me is the limit lol. When i stay in All Inclusives, I start when I wake up, til bed and bed often comes late.

But my fiance... he barely drinks. He probably wouldn't even drink half of what I would. But....it is our honeymoon.

Also, we have the equivalent of 5 sea days with our intin. 4 whole and 2 half days including embarkation and us not getting in to Aruba til 1pm. Plus we have 3 more days on the beach in FLL once the cruise is over. Anddd we are right on the Lido Deck as we snagged a Scenic Grand OV.

BUT with both of us being required to buy it, plus with coffees not being included, and some odd limitations like floaters etc, I am just not sure. It's a $920ish cost for the week for us. That's more than half our cruise fare.

We will carry on Champs for mimosas most likely... and last time we ordered bottles but the ease of Cheers just really entices me. Plus I'm hoping he may drink a bit more. But then again that price tag. And the no coffees... ugh decisions decisions

I am in a similar conundrum. Our Honeymoon is coming up on the Sunshine, 8 night Southern Caribbean with only 3 ports. I could drink my money's worth no problem. I'm the type that thinks nothing of 3 drinks at lunch a couple times per week, just chatting etc. The only thing that concerns me is the limit lol. When i stay in All Inclusives, I start when I wake up, til bed and bed often comes late.

But my fiance... he barely drinks. He probably wouldn't even drink half of what I would. But....it is our honeymoon.

Also, we have the equivalent of 5 sea days with our intin. 4 whole and 2 half days including embarkation and us not getting in to Aruba til 1pm. Plus we have 3 more days on the beach in FLL once the cruise is over. Anddd we are right on the Lido Deck as we snagged a Scenic Grand OV.

BUT with both of us being required to buy it, plus with coffees not being included, and some odd limitations like floaters etc, I am just not sure. It's a $920ish cost for the week for us. That's more than half our cruise fare.

We will carry on Champs for mimosas most likely... and last time we ordered bottles but the ease of Cheers just really entices me. Plus I'm hoping he may drink a bit more. But then again that price tag. And the no coffees... ugh decisions decisions

Yep, this is the problem with Cheers. We have decided to not buy it. If I could buy it just for myself I would but because my girlfriend has to get it too we will not be getting it. I doubt we will spend close to $600 on alcohol between the two of us.

Edited by psk2347

CCL knows it stings to pay drink by drink if you buy several a day, thats where they get in your brain about Cheers...seems like a no-brainer, but it is an investment. You can sign for a lot of drinks to get up to $800.

Another way to look at it...you could buy $400 worth of booze for the room from the Fun Shops...like 4 liters of booze. With $400 left to charge around the ship. That is a lot of drinking...a lot.

But I could also talk myself into cheers with 4 drinks from Alchemy a day and a couple beers on lido...and it would pay for itself.

though I'm in the situation most describe that one adult consumes more than the other...and we have a port intensive itinerary. I also find that I have the desire to 'hit it harder' on the first few days then back off a bit after I unwind a bit...

if you're the type that knows what the trip is going to cost upfront and not be surprised by a bar bill, get Cheers and day drink