Luggage in Seward

Studio472

We are doing a DIY land tour prior to our Radiance cruise. Taking the train to Seward and have plans to tour Kanai Fjords / Exit Glacier

How does luggage transition work at the train depot?

Are there porters from each cruise line already there and do they take your luggage directly?

My travel agent has confirmed "they" will be there to take our luggage to the ship, but I was hoping to hear from someone who's done it (preferably wasn't on a cruisetour). Do I need to make arrangements with RCCL?

IF, RCI is transferring luggage- you will know this in Anchorage. At the baggage drop off - which is NOT in the depot, verify the transfer- and your bags must be cruise ship tagged. You can call Anchorage directly and get this information.

If they are not transferring the bags, then you will need to have your vendor store your bags for you. there is shuttle service available. BUT you post- Exit Glacier and Kenai Fjords? (which isn't possible with a Kenai Fjords boat tour- and frankly the only way to really see much of Kenai Fjords.)

You have booked the train, yourself and on the 6:45am train?

Edited by Budget Queen

IF, RCI is transferring luggage- you will know this in Anchorage. At the baggage drop off - which is NOT in the depot, verify the transfer- and your bags must be cruise ship tagged. You can call Anchorage directly and get this information.

If they are not transferring the bags, then you will need to have your vendor store your bags for you. there is shuttle service available. BUT you post- Exit Glacier and Kenai Fjords? (which isn't possible with a Kenai Fjords boat tour- and frankly the only way to really see much of Kenai Fjords.)

You have booked the train, yourself and on the 6:45am train?

We have a group, several of us will do the shuttle & hike to the glacier. Others are considering the boat tour.

The group is booked for the 6:45am train from Anchorage to Seward.

I just spoke with a representative from the railroad. There is a large white tent where we go to drop off luggage. Royal Caribbean will take our bags from there (cruise luggage tags should be on luggage at this point) and ensure they get on the ship.

Sounds like a pretty smooth process!

I just spoke with a representative from the railroad. There is a large white tent where we go to drop off luggage. Royal Caribbean will take our bags from there (cruise luggage tags should be on luggage at this point) and ensure they get on the ship.

Sounds like a pretty smooth process!

It's not a "should" with the tags, it's a must. :) RCI has been doing this process for several years, which they have continued for this year.

We have a group, several of us will do the shuttle & hike to the glacier. Others are considering the boat tour.

The group is booked for the 6:45am train from Anchorage to Seward.

Exit Glacier Shuttle is across the street from the depot. People wanting to take the Kenai Fjords boat tour- have to book this in advance, unless it doesn't matter if they go or not. There are only 2 major tours available, (aren't going to have any time arranging or getting to the smaller vendors who have fjords options) with the ability to realistically only inquire of one, since the time is so tight. The RR runs combo tours, where they pick up. Especially a cruise ship day- these tours sell out.

• 2 weeks later...
We loved the boat tour! I highly recommend it! Coral Princess was parked right next to it and we walked off it and right on to Coral! Luggage was waiting in our room! No lines either!

Sorry- no you did not. Princess does NOT even dock in Seward.

Sorry- no you did not. Princess does NOT even dock in Seward.

We were boarding in Whittier- we had spent 3 nights in Seward and went to Whittier the morning of our cruise. The Coral Princess was docked in Whittier right next to the small ship we went out in the afternoon!

• 1 month later...

I wanted to post a followup since I've now been through this process.

As stated by budgetqueen, you drop your luggage off at the Rail Depot in Anchorage, there is a Royal Caribbean booth where they take your luggage on a box-truck to the ship. You don't have to worry about your luggage the rest of the day. Enjoy some time in Seward, no need to board right away!

Make sure you have your luggage tags attached before you arrive. The only holdup was getting around the clowns who weren't prepared with their luggage tags. They had tables setup for people who didn't have their tags printed out.