Anyone been to Cozumel recently?

sailor_jimc

Are the new shops and the Hard Rock Cafe they have been build for what seems like for years opened up again across the road from the Carnival Cruise Terminal in Cozumel? I think it's the Puerta Maya Terminal. My wife is head there in a couple of weeks and was curious if they had to go downtown or not for shopping that wasn't inside the terminal area.

I was there Saturday, but we left the port and spent the entire day at Paradise Beach so I cannot say for sure.

In the evening (around 8:00pm) I did see the big guitar atop the Hard rock but noticed it was not lit up so it did not appear open, while Fat Tuesday's and Three Amigo's was. We were the only ship in port at the time so I don't know if that, plus the late hour, had anything to do with it or not.

Edited by Frank12

Amazed that people will jump on a post just to post something negative.

Thanks Frank12.. its been that way since last summer... the signage is there and there are seemingly a bunch of shops that could be open... but nothing is.. I would think they would have something open by now.

Edited by sailor_jimc

There is a contingent of folks (like my DH ) who collect Hard Rock T-shirts and thus visit a Hard Rock where ever there is a new one :)

If there is a Hard Rock or a Hooters...we are there. We collect pilsners and such. :D

The Hard Rock is not at the Punta Maya pier...there are lots of shops at this pier but the big two story shops are down at the International pier. Unfortunately the Hard Rock is permently closed because from what I heard they were operating without permission. Here is a copy from HR corporate....#1 Hard Rock Has Closed..info From Hr Corp: post #1 Coz2wonder

Members

5,556 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:46 PM

The information is directly from Hard Rock Corporation had the following notice on their site.

"The following former Hard Rock Cafe franchise locations continue to operate without Hard Rock International’s permission after having their franchise agreements terminated. Hard Rock is pursuing legal means to close such unauthorized locations. In the meantime, we caution consumers when frequenting such rogue establishments that the quality of goods (such as the unauthorized merchandise) and services offered is no longer monitored by Hard Rock and may not meet Hard Rock’s standards that customers are familiar with and expect.

Acapulco, Mexico

Athens, Greece

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

Cancun, Mexico

Cozumel, Mexico

Nassau, Bahamas"

http://www.hardrock.com/cafes/

If we are in a " beach mode" we usually do that on one of the other ports. We have really gotten in the habit of just grabbing a taxi and going downtown Cozumel for shopping. Which my wife loves and I tolerate.

Amazed that people will travel to Mexico to go to a hard rock.

Amazed that people will jump on a post just to post something negative.

Saying one is "amazed" in itself is not negative. It appears you read more into it than was written.

That being said, nothing like like a T-shirt made in China for a corporation based in Florida owned by indian tribe to serve a a souvenir from a foreign country.

To each his own, nothing wrong with this at all. If one likes T-shirts from Hard Rock, so be it!

Interesting to see the Cancun location listed among the closures. We were there last September and we asked if there was an HRC there. We were told that it had closed in Cancun and moved just down the road to Playa del Carmen. So now I wonder if the PdC location is a legit one or if they're just trying to be one step ahead of Hard Rock. Hmmm...

Edited by nchikk

Eh, I don't give a crap where the shirt was made, or who owns the company, etc, etc. But I do occasionally like to get a souvenir shirt when I'm on vacation. I'm fairly certain that when I visit Cozumel, Roatan, Belize, Jamaica, or Grand Cayman... not a single shirt sold in those ports was actually made there. As long as it says "Hard Rock Cozumel" or something like that, well that's what I'm after.

Eh, I don't give a crap where the shirt was made, or who owns the company, etc, etc. But I do occasionally like to get a souvenir shirt when I'm on vacation. I'm fairly certain that when I visit Cozumel, Roatan, Belize, Jamaica, or Grand Cayman... not a single shirt sold in those ports was actually made there. As long as it says "Hard Rock Cozumel" or something like that, well that's what I'm after.

you can get them online