Princess Alaska Formal Nights

BigGuy25

Sorry if this has been asked and answered but I didn't find it in the "search" function.

After much cruising, My wife and I now pack more "resort causally "and forgo the "formal" nights on ships. We tend to opt for one of the specialty restaurants or buffet on those evenings. But, I don't know if Princess does any special not-to-be-missed "regional" fare on Alaskan formal nights that should make us pack for the occasion on this voyage.

Bigguy, I'm probably going to catch a bunch of BS on this post. We just got off the Ruby Princess. We sat at a table for 8 at the 8pm dinner sitting. On the first formal night the gentleman to my left had on a nice shirt and slacks, his wife had on a nice top on, next to her the lady had on a very nice top, nice slacks, her husband from Texas had on a nice cowboy shirt, next to him was 18 year old and he had on a nice Polo shirt, his Grand mother had on a nice dress, not fancy just a dress, my wife had on a very nice dress and I was over dressed, I had on a nice shirt with a tie and slacks. Some people say that you'll feel self conscious about what your not wearing, I could care less what they think. There's a 99.99% chance that I'll never see anyone on the ship again so I wear what is comfortable to me.

Bigguy, I'm probably going to catch a bunch of BS on this post.

I think you misunderstood. If we go to the dining room on a formal night I'll certainly dress in coat and tie. My question is ... are there special not-to-be-missed regional menus on formal nights in Alaska that make packing a coat and tie a good idea?

Just got back on Saturday. The same cuisine is offered in all the dining rooms each evening. It didn't seem to me that they had any 'special' cuisine because it was a formal or not formal night. Each night did have a 'theme' though. As far as dress....I was VERY surprised about that. There were people in both dining rooms, even on formal night, with shorts on. Some were in jeans and polo shirts. All of our paperwork stated what was expected and it was even posted outside the dining rooms. Not that I cared.......but, I would have foregone the extra garment bag if I had known that the 'formal' would not be required. They did have a 'special' dessert each evening and I would definitely recommend that you try it.