What to do in Homer, Alaska

Okie1946

We are booked for the 14 day Alaskan out of Seattle on the Statendam. Homer and Kodiak are new ports for us and we would appreciate some suggestions on what to see.

Thank you and appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Okie1946

I too am on the Seattle trip to Alaska on Sept 7. I have booked a trip to Homer and it is called Highlight to Homer. Only 76 more days till the trip.

Can't wait.

I am going with my mother and I am having a big birthday 60 yrs old.

hope to hear from you.

sally aka 3 cats in a row.

I too am on the Seattle trip to Alaska on Sept 7. I have booked a trip to Homer and it is called Highlight to Homer. Only 76 more days till the trip.

Can't wait.

hope to hear from you.

DH and I are booked on the August 24th cruise. We will be leaving the ship the day you board. If you happen to see fingernail drag marks in the carpet, they are mine - never want to leave at the end.

Sorry we will be missing you. I am doing the Highlight to Homer for myself, but the DH doesn't seem to thrilled with the prospect. I may just leave him aboard the ship and let him do his own thing.

Hope your cruise is as great as I hope our cruise will be.

Okie1946

We took the complimentary shuttle to the Homer Spit. Wandered. Visited the Seafarers' Memorial. Had coffee, chatted with people. A nice few hours, low-key and slice-of-life if you work for it (otherwise a person can get sucked in to the "shopping" thing.....)

In Kodiak we walked to the town (about a mile, but there were shuttles, too) and went to

http://www.fws.gov/refuge/Kodiak/visit/visitor_activities/visitor_center.html

Hadn't heard of it until we saw the sign :D Enjoyed it a great deal. Then we walked back to the ship, detouring along the docks.

May or may not be your idea of a good time, but we enjoyed both days.

In Homer, both times we were there we took the free shuttle over to the Spit. Walked up and down the area -- lots of nice shops and a couple of restaurants where you can buy something to eat.

In Kodiak, we also took the free shuttle into town -- shops and restaurants -- churches to visit.

We've done the 2-week trip 3 times and loved both Homer and Kodiak. DH uses a scooter to get around. Both the 1st and 3rd trip we scootered/walked off the ship and wandered all around the spit. Last year there were some nice upgrades to the walking areas and you didn't have to go through the marina parking lot as much. It was an easy walk/scooter over to the other side of the spit. There are shops but nothing fancy. You might want to go in the Salty Dawg - a local landmark. We just walked and walked. There are some placed to get food on the spit and we found a place where my hubby could get a milkshake and fries so he was happy.

In Kodiak last time I got off by myself and enjoyed the walk to town. I visited the visitor's center, the museum, the church, and other local landmarks. It was even fun to walk through the local hardware store.

In Homer, the 2nd time, we did the tour that went to the Pratt Museum, the Oceanography place and the Lowell Museum. We really enjoyed it and it gave a nice overview of Homer and its history and culture. In Kodiak we did a private tour through Memorymakers and it was interesting. However, I still enjoyed getting out and walking!

Karen

If your DH likes museums, then I highly recommend taking the shuttle to town, and heading up to the Pratt Museum. It is a fabulous little museum for such a small town. Very interesting.

If not, then just taking the shuttle round-trip to get a look at the area is a good way to spend some time. He'll seen the RVs parked along the spit, and otters playing in the bay.

Taking the free shuttle to the end of the spit is fun. Have him be sure to stop in the Salty Dawg Saloon, as it a fun little spot.

If he hasn't had enough time at sea, there was a HAL tour that went around some of the surrounding islands, and down to Seldonia. It's a long tour, but was fabulous. I was sorry to see it end.

Can't wait.

hope to hear from you.

Hi Sally,

Please join us on the Roll Call thread.

Dan

THANK YOU to everyone who answered my question. We have decided to take the shuttle bus into town and visit the Pratt Museum and the Lowell Museum. I do want to find the quilt shop that is located in Homer, then we will be catching the shuttle out to the spit.

We like being able to be on our own schedule, that way we don't feel so frantic at the end of the day.

Also - thank you for the information regarding the scooter paths. I use a walker outdoors and on uneven or strange roads, so I should be able to handle the walking.

The count down has really begun!!!!:D

We are booked for the 14 day Alaskan out of Seattle on the Statendam. Homer and Kodiak are new ports for us and we would appreciate some suggestions on what to see.

Thank you and appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Okie1946

Besides the answers given to you in this thread you can also get wonderful information in the Alaska forum of Cruise Critic.