To dress or not to dress

stroud green

First time cruise coming up in August with MSC on Poesia. We as a family are really looking forward to it.

One thing that does worry me is the dress code. We are travelling from the UK to Venice by train and after the cruise back via Finland by plane for a short break there. So luggage space is at a premium.

I am a bit fussy regarding dressing up in the evenings. I certainly will not where a tux or even a suit and tie. I am on holiday and want to relax. I totally understand the dress codes and am prepared to miss the gala evenings, not my cup of tea anyway.

Will I be ok with just wearing trousers and collared shirts for evening meals. I do not wear a tie at work so I am certainly not going to wear one on holiday.

Formal wear is not compulsory on Gala nights. On my last cruise, a gent at our table in the MDR wore a pair of fancy jeans with a very smart button-down shirt. No tie or jacket. Shorts aren't allowed in the dining room in the evenings. Almost anything goes otherwise - even on Gala night!

Edited by Beamafar

How do you know the gala nights are not your cup of tea if you have never cruised before?

If you have visions of something as formal as a State Banquet, you've got it all wrong. It is not hugely different from the normal dinner in the MDR, just nicer menu and staff and passengers smarter dressed. Final one has a bit of a nice suprise at the end. Shan't spoil it for you by telling you what it is.

How do you know the gala nights are not your cup of tea if you have never cruised before?

If you have visions of something as formal as a State Banquet, you've got it all wrong. It is not hugely different from the normal dinner in the MDR, just nicer menu and staff and passengers smarter dressed. Final one has a bit of a nice suprise at the end. Shan't spoil it for you by telling you what it is.

I think we can sometimes forget what it felt like to face into our first cruise, Mairi, and not know what to expect! I remember having booked my first on MSC, then reading the reviews and wondering if I'd made an horrendous mistake :rolleyes: I'd been on Carnival years before and thought I'd never cruise again after that experience! I'm now looking forward to my 9th on MSC in less than 4 years!

I envy people doing their first cruise.

I found that cruising in the Med is much more dressier than our last cruise to Northern Europe. Hardly anyone dressed up at all for Gala night. I was totally overdressed in my sparklies ;) but felt right at home in them when sailing out of Venice. It adds a nice atmosphere to the night I think.

I usually wear at least a dark suit, but tend to leave off the tie since I'm on vacation. I've seen people wear jeans on gala nights, but they were the absolute minority and must have felt out of place. The second seating tends to be more formal than the first one.

Edited by Alex71