Timing of Safety Drill?

OBX Cruisers

I'm reading that the Safety Drill/Muster takes place on Embarkation Day - for us Saturday, July 25. Does anyone have the approximate time?

We have reservations at the Ice Bar in Stockholm for 5:15 p.m. We were planning on checking into our room on the "Star" at 2 p.m., exploring the ship a bit, and leaving about 4 or 4:30 p.m. to make our way to the Ice Bar. We'll return to the "Star" for dinner that evening.

Do you see any problem with us leaving the ship from 4 p.m. - 7 p.m.? Do they insist we stay on board for the Safety Drill? Is there a second safety drill on sail-away day (Sunday, July 26) for those of us who aren't on board for the first one.

Thanks everyone!

Not too familiar with Viking Oceans, but the safety drills are mandatory. On the cruise lines we've been on, they check your name off their list. They close down all the venues about 15 minutes before the safety drill. Some cruise lines do have make-ups.

While I've missed one safety drill, I don't recommend it. I was in the infirmary with norovirus. And was exempt, DH wasn't. I was probably in the bathroom when the make-up happened. Believe me, the ports I missed weren't worth missing a safety drill. And they give out vital information during the safety drill. They have crew guarding the elevator banks, and each room is marked with a red indicator in the lock saying it's been cleared.

A while back, a couple were kicked off a ship for refusing to attend the safety drill. And that's when they were on a back to back and had attended it on the cruise right before.

These rules were created above the pay grade of all on the ship.

Edited by knittinggirl

I can only tell you what happened on the 50-day Maiden cruise, but you should be fine with your plans. The safety drills were not on embarkation day, but the next day just before sail away. On embarkation day there's too many people that will be still arriving in the evening for them to do it on that day.

On the next day, let's say your sail away time is 2:00; then your onboard time might be 1:00 and that's when they had the safety drills. And yes, they did have a make-up time after that.

They did not make us 50-dayers (or any of the multiple segment people) go to multiple safety drills. They called us "in-transit passengers" and we only had to go to the first one in Istanbul.

Now of course all of this might have changed, and the process will no doubt evolve over time, but I think you're OK at the moment.

Idea4elizabeth - I was hoping you might pick up on this question.:) Wasn't sure how much longer you would be following the Viking Oceans thread.

Cassandra44 - the Ice Bar is high on our checklist. Don't want to get too far off topic, but was the one in Oslo just too cold to last more than 30 minutes? Did they provide you with warm coats?

There was a safety drill on Embarkation Day in Istanbul and it was at 5PM. There was a second one the next day at 2PM, just before sailaway for those passengers who had not arrived or were not yet onboard for the first one (and they did check off cabins at the first one).

Becki

Edited by rjscott

Ah, thanks for the correction Becki! We went into Istanbul to see the Grand Baazar the afternoon of embarkation day, so probably missed the first one entirely and ended up doing the second one (not realizing it WAS the second one).

Anyway, OBX, you should still be fine leaving the ship on embarkation day, as that's exactly what we did, and catching the make-up the next day.

Yes we had warm coats and gloves provided. However it was pretty cold....but it was sunday night and we were only people there until a quartet came in. So we might have stayed longer if more atmosphere. Good luck with it...once in a lifetime and it made for a good story and interesting photos!

Ah, thanks for the correction Becki! We went into Istanbul to see the Grand Baazar the afternoon of embarkation day, so probably missed the first one entirely and ended up doing the second one (not realizing it WAS the second one).

Anyway, OBX, you should still be fine leaving the ship on embarkation day, as that's exactly what we did, and catching the make-up the next day.

Elizabeth, no worries. We were there, having boarded shortly before and so caught the first one. It was there that they announced there would be a 2nd one the next day b/f we left port. And, it was in the dailies as well.

We probably crossed paths; the Grand Bazaar was our last sightseeing stop b/f coming to the ship. :D

Becki